Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a B&M Classima 8688 in Dec 2016 and I couldn't be happier w/ the watch (my first luxury watch!) ... except that it runs way fast.

I measured it against an iPhone app and I see a consistent ~23 sec/day. I read somewhere that 2-6 sec is expected for an automatic mechanical watch.

The authorized service centers in my area tell me to contact the place I purchased from (Macy's) and have them ship the watch for adjustment. So far so good, but I hear that it takes 6 weeks (apparently, watches go to Dallas, where B&M has a service center).

How do others deal w/ this?

I also read somewhere that one should allow the watch to "break in" for some time before sending it to be opened. If so, how long should I wait before shipping it to B&W for an adjustment?

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
It may just need to be demagnetized. You can either take to a watch maker and have him do it, or purchase a demagentizer yourself off of Amazon.

They are relatively inexpensive and really work, there is nothing necessary about taking the watch apart during the procedure.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A86.J3XEIH1Yv3kA3LgnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTEyazA5ZTA5BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjI2MThfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Youtube+Demagnetizing+a+Wrist+Watch&fr=yhs-mozilla-002&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002#action=view&id=2&vid=6cb1b3675ed4a019249e24f1199f3726

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
The accuracy for the ETA 2824

• the Standard grade is adjusted in two positions with an average rate of +/−12 seconds/day, with a maximum daily variation of +/−30 seconds;
  • the Elaborated grade is adjusted in three positions with an average rate of +/−7 seconds/day, with a maximum daily variation of +/−20 seconds;
  • while the Top grade is adjusted in five positions with an average rate of +/−4 seconds/day, with a maximum daily variation of +/−15 seconds.

Not sure what grade they put in there, but I would think it would settle down a bit. 2 to 6 seconds would be a Chronometer grade, which I doubt that has.
If it was running minutes a day fast, I would think magnetized, but not at the numbers your getting.

Also, set it time.gov and check it against that. If you're not going to be using it at that time, every now and then switch the position of the watch to, Crown Down, Dial Up and 12'Oclock Down, and see what you get after 24 hours.

If you want 2 to 6 sec. a day, you will have to get it regulated if none of the above helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the valuable suggestions. I'll repeat the experiment against time.gov and report back the results.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I re-tested against time.gov - similar results, about 23-25 sec per day.

What would be your advice in terms of waiting before I have the watch sent back for adjustment? I've had it for a month or so now. How long should I wait just in case it "settles in"?

Cheers!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I re-tested against time.gov - similar results, about 23-25 sec per day.

What would be your advice in terms of waiting before I have the watch sent back for adjustment? I've had it for a month or so now. How long should I wait just in case it "settles in"?

Cheers!
It has been almost two months that you have had the watch; has it settled in? If not, and it is still running that fast, then I would send it in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts