Watch Freeks banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was younger, my parents bought me my first adult watch, a Citizen Skyhawk Blue Angels C300-Q00842. I loved that thing and wore it every day for 15 years until about 3 months ago, when something inside finally died. I figured that the latest Skyhawk would be a great replacement. I was able to get a U600-S055521 (same as http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-JY0050-55L-Skyhawk-Titanium-Eco-Drive/dp/B001QFYKTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451352688&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+angels+skyhawk+titanium) on an awesome discount for the holidays. The new style dials are very slick, and there are some new features:

• eco-drive
  • automatic time setting by radio
  • LCD back-light
It feels great, and is probably a little lighter than my old Skyhawk. Before I ordered it, I verified online that the timer, stopwatch, alarms, and calendar were all maintained, which I make heavy use of. After a day or two, I'm hitting my head against a few things:

• (the biggest) Instead of the old 4 button interface, Citizen has opted for two push buttons and a 3 position crown. This wouldn't be a big deal, except it is *very* difficult to pull out the crown, much less control pulling it out one-vs-two clicks, without taking it off the wrist. There is no detent on the crown accessible from the top of the watch. I can somewhat access it by wedging a nail underneath it, but it is very uncomfortable and difficult to control the number of clicks. Now that I look at the pictures in more detail, it seems like the non-Blue Angel variant has knurling on the knob to make it possible to pull without removing the watch.
  • Setting the countdown timer is down by spinning the crown. That crown that is already very difficult to manipulate. It requires an awkward amount of rotation to set the timer.
  • Citizen removed the hand-retractor feature, so the LCD display is blocked to some extent for 10 minutes of each hour.
  • The watch has gotten bigger. I don't have large wrists, so it's border-line silly on me.
  • The bezel has a gritty feel when using the slide-rule, but that might just be because it's new.
  • (minor gripe) The calendar displayed is for the world-time, rather than the home time, which means that either you deal with the calendar being wrong for good chunks of the day, or you don't use the world time feature. That in itself isn't a big deal since that's how I used the older Skyhawk most of the time, but it's a little silly to have two LCDs, both showing the same city. Switching between home and world time would be a solution, if it wasn't so difficult to access the watch modes. It's uncomfortable to switch between world time and date routinely.
It's a beautiful time-piece, but it feels like no one from Citizen ever used it as a daily-driver. I'm an engineer by day, and I'm constantly using the various timing modes for keeping track of testing.

Has anyone else experienced this with the new Blue Angel and come to any conclusions?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
maybe the bezel and crown action will loosen up with your use. perhaps you will learn to love it as much as your old one. i agree the Citizen eco drive atomic is a very good watch. I have an Attesa titanium I purchased second hand

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure loosening up the crown is a good solution. There's simply no way to grip the crown from above, and if it got loose enough to move, it wouldn't handle one-vs-two clicks accurately. I can't really have multiple watches of this caliber, so I have to pretty rapidly decide if I'm going to return this one. I just don't know what I would do as an alternative.

Great watch to look at. Ridiculous to use. Additionally, I found out recently that the backlight is only accessible from the time/date modes, so if you leave it on timer or alarm, you're stuck in the dark. I can't figure out why they would get rid of the 4 button interface.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Easy solution

Many of us on the forum are flippers

I for example get a watch,,, 100 or more bought over the past few years...
The ones I like I keep. Others that are too busy too small or just don't click
Are flipped. I now have a stable collection and can't decide what to move.
I have a similar issue with one on difficult crown winding. It's a Baume Mercier
But when I wear it... It's love again.... So I put up with a few inconveniences
But in your case, take it back and check out others more suited
Good luck, it can be fun to check all the newer chromosome out.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I too have a Skyhawk, I have had it around 6 years and from day 1 the multi function crown has been very easy to use even on the wrist. I also actually prefer it to a 4 button operation but that's my preference. Also the fact that it is atomic means it's been bang on to the second for every day for the last 6 years. View attachment 81946 Here's mine on a Steveo Para.
These watches are not perfect but they take some beating. Mine sadly does not get the wrist time it deserves, I mainly use it to set my other Eco-Drives and automatics.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using Tapatalk.

Reactions: smoggy333

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tomsimac, I appreciate the thought, and look forward to getting to a point where I can have a repertoire, but for now I need something for any non-rough situation. I was wearing it again today, and it's so nice I can almost allow for the oddities, but will decide this weekend.

I too have a Skyhawk, I have had it around 6 years and from day 1 the multi function crown has been very easy to use even on the wrist.
The Skyhawk you have (non-Blue Angels, not sure the marketing name) has knurling on the crown allowing you to pull it out. The Blue Angels variant (my preference), does not have this in the "outward" dimension, so no amount of nails can pull it from above. It can only be pulled via a detent under the watch. It is a really weird design decision. You can see it in the Amazon picture. I can't fathom why they changed it.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Very odd why on earth would Citizen omit such a simple great idea, I also have a full Titanium SST Chronograph which is also very easy to use even on the wrist. View attachment 82018 In my opinion I think I would find that to be an annoyance.
With a multi function crown you need to be able to operate it whilst it is still on the wrist.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's definitely feeling like crazy obvious oversight to me. I'm mostly unhappy I didn't notice it until I had the watch sized. Not sure if I'm being whiny, but for $600, it feels like no one at Citizen ever really tested it like it was their own watch. I only have a few hours in the cockpit, but the idea of it being a pilot's watch is pretty foolish if using any of the functionality requires taking it off the wrist every time you swap modes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts