Helping to celebrate 50 years in the EU, you have the Promaster Auto
Diver Limited Edition with a 44.3mm stainless steel case, and Promaster
Marine Super Titanium with Super Titanium 44.3mm case. With each of
the watches having 200m WR, mineral crystals, black, and red diver's
bezels, black dials with luminous hands, and markers, rubber straps,
and Miyota 8203 automatic movement.

Just a few pictures...

OceanicTime with this, and more...

http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2019/07/citizen-promaster-auto-diver-limited.html

http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2019/07/citizen-promaster-marine-supertitanium.html

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Beautiful watch, but why are they putting that crappy Miyota 8203 movement in it and not a Miyota 9015 which would make it a keeper!

·
Super Moderator
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Beautiful watch, but why are they putting that crappy Miyota 8203 movement in it and not a Miyota 9015 which would make it a keeper!
It’s a terrific point Chaz ! :thumb: The only thing I can think of that it might
be is possibly price, and making them more attractive price tag wise sir.
But yeah, the 9015 would definitely have been very very attractive to
a lot of fans also right?! :)

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Something about Citizen's divers that just don't do it for me. I too, agree with Chaz about the movement. Gotta go with a meh here.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Something about Citizen's divers that just don't do it for me. I too, agree with Chaz about the movement. Gotta go with a meh here.
The 8200 movements are the non hacking crappo movements they were putting in the Invictas from 10 years ago. It's a joke to put them in a current model!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
It’s a terrific point Chaz ! :thumb: The only thing I can think of that it might
be is possibly price, and making them more attractive price tag wise sir.
But yeah, the 9015 would definitely have been very very attractive to
a lot of fans also right?! :)
True. Citizen used the 8203 because of its accuracy, durability, engineering and the economic factor.

It's the same movement that powers the Promaster, Magrette, Armida, Invicta and many others. The balance wheel on this movement is one of the best size-to-weight proportioned balance wheels. Not too big and not too heavy, at 21,600 vph, makes this particular design one of the most consistent oscillating balance wheels around. Inertia and centrifugal force in a gyroscopic motion greatly affects the proper oscillation of a balance wheel. An overly sized and heavy balance wheel suffers slow momentum when flung around such as when the arm is swinging vigorously, affecting the oscillation of the balance wheel and adversely affecting the timing of a watch. A properly proportioned balance wheel in size-to-weight is the key in the excellent performance of a watch imo.

What I don't like about this movement is the way the second hand appears to jump as it moves

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
True. Citizen used the 8203 because of its accuracy, durability, engineering and the economic factor.
Accuracy? You can't hack the thing to set it to an atomic clock to check accuracy and when you do start hand shacking a stopped one to get it started at the exact second time to NIST Time, it ends up running about +15 to +20 seconds a day.

The would serve their customers better by dropping a 9015 or at least a Seiko NH35 in it, all of mine that have those movements in them run at lease within COSC specs.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Point taken. However, the fact that it can't hack does not mean that the movement is not accurate.

I am also not implying that there aren't better movements that could be used here but the 8203 is certainly not one of the worst.

·
Super Moderator
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

It's the same movement that powers the Promaster, Magrette, Armida, Invicta and many others. The balance wheel on this movement is one of the best size-to-weight proportioned balance wheels. Not too big and not too heavy, at 21,600 vph, makes this particular design one of the most consistent oscillating balance wheels around. Inertia and centrifugal force in a gyroscopic motion greatly affects the proper oscillation of a balance wheel. An overly sized and heavy balance wheel suffers slow momentum when flung around such as when the arm is swinging vigorously, affecting the oscillation of the balance wheel and adversely affecting the timing of a watch. A properly proportioned balance wheel in size-to-weight is the key in the excellent performance of a watch imo.

What I don't like about this movement is the way the second hand appears to jump as it moves

Yowza Steve, thanks so much for the insight into this movement,
and movements in general really ! :clapping-hands-abov :) ..You know to be 100%
honest, didn't know much about this movement, or the watches
it was used in out there. Or how it compared to the 9015 actually.
So thank you so much here !!! :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don’t know if it’s me or what, I’ve had a couple of Citizens over the years and I scratch the crystals easily. I swore off anything but sapphire for years and I recently broke my rule with buying a new Seiko. Hopefully the Hardlex does better. Just always have had bad luck with Citizens as much as I like a lot of their models.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Chazzman:
The famous or infamous 9015 was used in a Deep Blue I owned.
But the 9015 in my DB made all kinds of fuss when counterweight
spun. I'm hard of hearing from blowing train whistle for 40 years
but even I could hear the gawd awful racket!!!!
Maybe it was just this 9015?

I took ever mechanical auto and hand cranker I owned (6 of em) and
shipped them to a fellow member. I'm dun with mechanicals.My days
with mechanicals date back to 1949. I bought an A11 WW2 wristie in

Lou Snutt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts