Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has everyone had a chance to catch Certina's DS Action Diver Titanium?

This new watch has a 43mm titanium case, 300m WR, an AR coated
sapphire crystal, unidirectional aluminum bezel, and sun ray gray
dial with luminous hands, and markers. Then you also have titanium
bracelets, and behind everything is the Powermatic 80 automatic.

Some pictures guys...

OceanicTime with this, and more...

http://oceanictime.blogspot.com/2019/08/certina-ds-action-diver-titanium.html

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Nice one Tom. Although the markers are close. It manages to separate itself from other sub clones with a great hand set, nice red accented second hand, a more unique bezel, a more pronounced crown guard and of course Titanium. I don't know the price. But I'm betting its to high to have all these great features with a low beat movement at it's heart To bad, it could've been a contender...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Nice one Tom. Although the markers are close. It manages to separate itself from other sub clones with a great hand set, nice red accented second hand, a more unique bezel, a more pronounced crown guard and of course Titanium. I don't know the price. But I'm betting its to high to have all these great features with a low beat movement at it's heart To bad, it could've been a contender...

I can't argue with any of this. I agree on all points.

The stainless version retail is $1050, I believe, so Titanium is probably a few hundred more. Would have liked to see a 28k beat movement. Can't have it all, I guess!

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
The current Dutch (non discounted) price is 975 EUR but we pay 21% VAT. So that makes about 770 EUR without that sales tax.

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not bad right?! :) Well other than the price that is. ..But design wise it does
stand out like you guys are saying, and it's in these nice subtle ways too.
It's not too crazy, or too bold, and there is a real refinement within it, or
actually Certina's watches in general it seems. It's that whole controlled
aggression thing that is going on it seems. :cool2:

Definitely would have been neat to see a different movement, and lower
price tag though. You guys are right as always ! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Not bad right?! :) Well other than the price that is. ..But design wise it does
stand out like you guys are saying, and it's in these nice subtle ways too.
It's not too crazy, or too bold, and there is a real refinement within it, or
actually Certina's watches in general it seems. It's that whole controlled
aggression thing that is going on it seems. :cool2:

Definitely would have been neat to see a different movement, and lower
price tag though. You guys are right as always ! :thumb: :thumb:

As I think about these types of releases I have been coming more to the conclusion that these product releases aren't for us as WIS. We're far to informed with far too strongly held expectations about the products we buy (for the most part, anyway). The general market for these watches are consumers who don't know what we know.

I've been helping a younger coworker who wants to purchase some "bling" to show off to his friends, and I'm trying to steer him a little more into the "quality for the money" side of things. It is through those explanations that I understand how much we're not the "average" consumer of these goods.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
As I think about these types of releases I have been coming more to the conclusion that these product releases aren't for us as WIS. We're far to informed with far too strongly held expectations about the products we buy (for the most part, anyway). The general market for these watches are consumers who don't know what we know.

I've been helping a younger coworker who wants to purchase some "bling" to show off to his friends, and I'm trying to steer him a little more into the "quality for the money" side of things. It is through those explanations that I understand how much we're not the "average" consumer of these goods.

Exactly my thoughts and I think that (in my case at least) this is amplified by the fact that we own more than just a single watch that gets to be worn on a daily basis. And watches like this one (and I don't think it's a bad watch at all) are geared toward 'single watch' buyers. And less so to collectors. And I'm not a big fan of titanium :D

·
Registered
2,392 Posts

Exactly my thoughts and I think that (in my case at least) this is amplified by the fact that we own more than just a single watch that gets to be worn on a daily basis. And watches like this one (and I don't think it's a bad watch at all) are geared toward 'single watch' buyers. And less so to collectors. And I'm not a big fan of titanium :D
Concur.
There are pros and cons to being informed to the extent that some are

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Grumpy Old Man Disclaimer:

I appreciate seeing a picture of an actual watch, not these renderings. Especially a rendering made to seem to exist in some contrived setting. And this isn't directed at Certina, most manufacturers do this.

Separately... this a generic dive watch. It offers nothing new and the crown has outgrown the crown guard. Is it truly guarded when it sticks out appreciably past its guard?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Grumpy Old Man Disclaimer:

I appreciate seeing a picture of an actual watch, not these renderings. Especially a rendering made to seem to exist in some contrived setting. And this isn't directed at Certina, most manufacturers do this.

Separately... this a generic dive watch. It offers nothing new and the crown has outgrown the crown guard. Is it truly guarded when it sticks out appreciably past its guard?
(╯° □°) ╯︵ ┻━┻

I hear you, and that was damn funny.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Really is an outstanding point you are making here sir, and you have to
wonder whether the watch companies realize this as well. Not that these
watches, and watches even more expensive aren't great. That most likely
are very impressive, but are they that impressive?! Or so impressive that
they are equivalent to multiple affordable watches?!

Are the designs that much better?! Are the movements unbeatable?! Or
is it just something about the name on a watch dial that supercharges
the price tag?!

I know a lot of times I honestly just see watches, and like them, and
then post about them. But most of the time, or basically all of the time,
I am only posting about them, and not buying them. :anim_63:

Am always more likely to get something that's got more bang for the
buck like you, and your coworker. Seriously, there are so many great
cool, classic, even funky new, and vintage watches out there it's pretty
much unbelievable. But unfortunately not a lot of people know that
out there. Or don't know what we know like you said. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts