Watch Freeks banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE 10 October: It's here! Check my reply to the thread for pics!

Gang,
After the recent trade/con-job fiasco I got suckered into, I knew the only way I'd be able to make myself feel better would be to buy another piece for my collection. A few days ago, I went on searching on the 'Bay and found a vintage 119-series Vostok Amphibia for sale. :D This one caught my eye, as it's the first white-face 119 I've ever seen in all of my years of collecting...

The bracelet is going to have to go (I think a nice 18mm jubilee would look good on this one), and I might swap the bezel out with another original I have in better condition, but this one is definitely an uncommon sight, and a welcome addiction to my collection.

·
4,210 Posts
Vostock Guy:
After buying 2 watches, the Komanderiskie and the Amphibia I've bome to the
Conclusion that of the 2 I like the Komanderiskie the best.
So to that end, I'll only be buying Komanderiskie
Sure it's a pain messing with the date set, having to wind often and only 17
jewels but its head n shoulders over my Scuba Dude.IMHO of course.
Got my eye on 2 Komanderiskies which I'll buy at same time.
Eat yer hearts out Amphibia Freeks!!!

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
490 Posts
Very tough looking vintage piece in nice condition. That was quite a fiasco however and I think you need to make a couple more purchases to completely ease the pain ;) .
Agreed. A few more Vostoks would certainly help. Congrats on the purchase.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Noooooo don't change anything, the reason why this watch is a conversation piece that comes with bragging rights is because of its vintage original looks. Some old watches are just old and beat up and faded and nasty, but your watch is a classic brand with a classic look. Honest *****. It's like having a rare old coin, if you wash it, you wash away all of its value.

·
Super Moderator
20,222 Posts
Oh neat Vostok, never have seen this particular variation I don't think ! :smile-thumb: The dial color is amazing, and just the way it works with the 'patina' orange-like hands, and markings is excellent. Beautiful numbers, and bezel with this one as well. Boy oh boy, and that texture on the case, and center links !!! Amazing ! ..Congrats here. Huge congrats !!! :thumb:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if just one watch is going to be enough to get you past that whole mess.

Better get back to the Bay! :)
LOL Actually, I'm looking at quite a few now... I'm seriously looking at one of the Fossil Breaker dive watches, I'm debating on picking up a gently-used Croton Aquamatic for cheap, I've sent payment off for an older Fossil sports watch, and I'm picking up my replacement 470-series Amphibia Antimagnetic today from the Post Office. That's not including my Seiko SKX009 that's at my local AD for servicing. :D

Vostock Guy:
After buying 2 watches, the Komanderiskie and the Amphibia I've bome to the
Conclusion that of the 2 I like the Komanderiskie the best.
So to that end, I'll only be buying Komanderiskie
Sure it's a pain messing with the date set, having to wind often and only 17
jewels but its head n shoulders over my Scuba Dude.IMHO of course.
Got my eye on 2 Komanderiskies which I'll buy at same time.
Eat yer hearts out Amphibia Freeks!!!

Lou Snutt
LOL The Kommandierskie line is what got me interested in watches to begin with, so it's all good!

Noooooo don't change anything, the reason why this watch is a conversation piece that comes with bragging rights is because of its vintage original looks. Some old watches are just old and beat up and faded and nasty, but your watch is a classic brand with a classic look. Honest *****. It's like having a rare old coin, if you wash it, you wash away all of its value.
You think I should keep it as-is? Admittedly, I'm reconsidering replacing the bezel, as it does have character. The bracelet though... I'm still pretty sure I'll replace it out, as the good majority of both Pre and Post-Second Revolution Russian-made bracelets are junk. I'll still take a look at it though and see if it's something useable. :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How can you tell the age of some of these watches?
Mostly by looking up the movement types and when they were manufactured, as well as the history of the case type. The serial numbers Vostok used on their pre-second revolution manufactured pieces are inconsistent AT BEST, and downright nonsensical at worst, so I wouldn't rely on those. Practically the only thing in the serial number that IS consistent is that the third number in the sequence; the third number indicates what the case is made from. Outside of that, the serial number is pretty much useless to determine age. One thing that will help narrow it down is simply by looking at the dial. If you see text on the dial that resembles CAEAAHO B CCCP (translated: Made in USSR), that will place the manufacture date sometime before 21 August 1991, which was the effective beginning of the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Vostok didn't start labeling their watches with Made in Russia until sometime in 1992. Now keep in mind that Vostok undoubedly used up all of their older CCCP-marked dials during production, so there's a pretty good chance that any newer CCCP-marked watches may very well be from the post-revolutionary period, but not too far into 1992 and beyond. If you have one that has the CCCP markings in original condition, than it's going to be at LEAST 23 years old. :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It arrived today, or rather Saturday Afternoon. :D

It's keeping excellent time, and overall is in excellent shape for a watch as old as it is... The only problem? The bracelet...

This is, without a doubt, the crappiest bracelet I have ever seen on any watch. It's WAY too thin for my tastes. it's extremely cheap and unwearable, and being replaced ASAP.

Reactions: zed073
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.