Watch Freeks banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you had a chance to see this new one from Alpina?

It's the Alpina Startimer Pilot Heritage Manufacture which is both a
bumper movement, as well as new watch. So you have the return of
this amazing type of movement in the AL-709 maunufacture calibre.
Along with a really nice watch surrounding it.

Just some of the details include a 42mm x 40.75mm stainless steel,
or yellow gold cases, 100M WR, sapphire crystals, silver dials with
silver, and red, or gold, and red hands, and markers, plus nice brown
leather straps as well.

Oracle Time, and Alpina with much more everyone...

Alpina Introduce a New Heritage-Inspired Bumper Movement in the Limited Edition Startimer Pilot Heritage

https://alpinawatches.com/

Registered
Omega Day Date, Raymond Weil(s), Seiko(s) and micro brands.
Leave it to Citizen to ruin a formerly great watch company. 馃槩
Did the same to Frederique Constant.
At least Tata owned Favre leuba is holding its quality and prestige under Titan's leadership with Bivouac 9000, still working a top the Himalayas peak. I still have a vintage that's sweeping away with regular servicing.

That is a very good looking watch and good to see them use more manufacture movements.
Love the retro style of this one. Il likely add one to the rotation at some point when it can be had a good price.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leave it to Citizen to ruin a formerly great watch company. 馃槩
Did the same to Frederique Constant.
At least Tata owned Favre leuba is holding its quality and prestige under Titan's leadership with Bivouac 9000, still working a top the Himalayas peak. I still have a vintage that's sweeping away with regular servicing.
That is a very good looking watch and good to see them use more manufacture movements.
Love the retro style of this one. Il likely add one to the rotation at some point when it can be had a good price.
Forza, and LA, isn鈥檛 this actually nice to see Citizen/Alpina
trying this though? 馃檪 I mean as Brice is saying, it鈥檚 a very
cool looking watch. Plus the movement is something we
don鈥檛 see every day. 馃槈 ..In any case, just loved hearing
what you thought about these you guys !!!

And Brice, holy cow, imagine if you could add one of these
to the collection sir?! 馃槻 That would be pretty incredible sir !

Thanks again just for looking everyone !

trying this though? I mean as Brice is saying, it鈥檚 a very
don鈥檛 see every day. ..In any case, just loved hearing

to the collection sir?! That would be pretty incredible sir !

Plus it鈥檚 not true that Citizen has ruined Alpjna. They leave them to run the company independently with very little intervention to Alpina, FC and LJP calibre manufacturer.

Registered
trying this though? 馃檪 I mean as Brice is saying, it鈥檚 a very
don鈥檛 see every day. 馃槈 ..In any case, just loved hearing

to the collection sir?! 馃槻 That would be pretty incredible sir !

I'm in agreement AtomicTom.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Plus it鈥檚 not true that Citizen has ruined Alpjna. They leave them to run the company independently with very little intervention to Alpina, FC and LJP calibre manufacturer.
I'm in agreement AtomicTom.
Honestly have to agree with you Brice, and LA. 馃檪

It鈥檚 seems like they are actually helping Alpina, plus they
are allowing Alpina to still be Alpina it seems as Brice is
saying. So that鈥檚 great as well. 馃槈(y)

Thanks once again you guys, and thanks a bunch for
the insight too on this Brice !

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That IS maybe the coolest thing about Citizen being behind them now
actually #four. 馃槈 If they didn't step in, there was a chance Alpina might
not have been able to stay afloat. And we wouldn't have been seeing
any new Alpinas I guess.

They would have been like countless brands which disappeared into
the watch brand ether like years ago. 馃檨

Oris Freek
And you know this how ? You work for them ?
I already see Citizens influence on these. Just like Bulova and Wittnauer before them. They will turn Alpina into what they want it to be. Not what it could have been.馃槳
Your comments remind me of what Invicta said about Glycine when they took over. It lasted a little while. But then you knew it was over when they started coming out with ugly quartz watches. AirMEN for women and last of all the infamous Jason Taylor edition combat sub.
I'll keep my Alpinas and Glycines as a memory of what these companies were. Not what they are now.

I already see Citizens influence on these. Just like Bulova and Wittnauer before them. They will turn Alpina into what they want it to be. Not what it could have been.
Your comments remind me of what Invicta said about Glycine when they took over. It lasted a little while. But then you knew it was over when they started coming out with ugly quartz watches. AirMEN for women and last of all the infamous Jason Taylor edition combat sub.
I'll keep my Alpinas and Glycines as a memory of what these companies were. Not what they are now.
From conversations of the head of Alpina NA and LJP COO.
Alpina is capable to make decisions on their own, ADs have complained about poor mgmt for some time. However I like their recent new models a lot like this one and the new No Date heritage Seastrong.

Oris Freek
That IS maybe the coolest thing about Citizen being behind them now
actually #four. :cry: If they didn't step in, there was a chance Alpina might
not have been able to stay afloat. And we wouldn't have been seeing
any new Alpinas I guess.
This is not that... This was like more of a hostile takeover. Citizen just wanted something in their portfolio that they could call Swiss. Like Invicta referring to Glycine as the Swiss made branch of the Invicta group.
Then they say crap like we can help them by channeling them through our vast marketing and distribution network.
Yet I've not seen a single ad or any kind of advertisement for these brands after they we acquired on 5/26/16.
And their plan was to take two premium Swiss brands and turn them into "mid-tier" luxury brands.
Supposed gains were to be,
  • Funding under a stock listed corporate owner
  • Enabling fresh capital injection for investments and potentially a booth in Hall 1.0 by Basel 2017
  • Augmenting their horological smart watch with advanced electronic calibres where Citizen is already a pioneering maker
  • Greatly expanded distribution thanks to Citizen鈥檚 global network
I mean, IMO I don't want to see these fine Swiss brands reduced to making smart watches. Citizen just wants to be able to put their names on product that they have already made. Bettering their odds of selling one watch to 3 to 1.
Once again, IMO, electronics have no place in Swiss watchmaking.
It's all just a ruse. Sure they let the people who were on the job at the time of acquisition keep their jobs on a five-year contract with an option to renew. That is until Citizen's people figure out what they do on a daily basis. Then their "options" will be to find another job.
That time is now... Five years later. And once again, IMO, just like Bulova and Wittnauer before them, I'm seeing the culture and design of Citizen taking over these once proud Swiss brands.
After all, they also acquired La Joux-Perret, Arnold & Son and DeMonaco. What have you seen from them in the last 5 years ? R.I.P. Alpina and Frederique Constant. :cry: It was nice knowing you.

Registered
I already see Citizens influence on these. Just like Bulova and Wittnauer before them. They will turn Alpina into what they want it to be. Not what it could have been.馃槳
Exactly my thought, Glycine and Invicta are both ruined. Joke and fashion watches now. Stick a sellita in a better brushed Invicta cage it's a Glycine. Price tag is 2000, selling for 350 on Joma. From experience Frederique Constant is junk now. With their hybrid and weak movement quality. Why would any entity invest in to another and forgo control? Marketing and press releases are to a point legally valid. Without getting in to specifics, today major watch brands are very few independent, some owned by large fashion labels and others owned by conglomerate watch companies. Depending on my watch buying budgeted funds I would always prefer the first batch, I'm not saying I've never purchased from the latter 2. Just making a statement that I always try to aim for the independent watch houses if I can afford and justify it to the wife.

Currently, I really prefer time pieces from Blancpain and Rolex. Even though there are arguably better brands and movements, but for my taste, I'm fine here. JLC, IWC, AP, Patek, ALS and UN are strong contenders. If I had 400K as throw away money I'd buy the Godfather official rotating Tourbillion and wear it daily. But it's not my league, God willing when I can I will.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is not that... This was like more of a hostile takeover. Citizen just wanted something in their portfolio that they could call Swiss. Like Invicta referring to Glycine as the Swiss made branch of the Invicta group.
Then they say crap like we can help them by channeling them through our vast marketing and distribution network.
Yet I've not seen a single ad or any kind of advertisement for these brands after they we acquired on 5/26/16.
And their plan was to take two premium Swiss brands and turn them into "mid-tier" luxury brands.
Supposed gains were to be,
  • Funding under a stock listed corporate owner
  • Enabling fresh capital injection for investments and potentially a booth in Hall 1.0 by Basel 2017
  • Augmenting their horological smart watch with advanced electronic calibres where Citizen is already a pioneering maker
  • Greatly expanded distribution thanks to Citizen鈥檚 global network
I mean, IMO I don't want to see these fine Swiss brands reduced to making smart watches. Citizen just wants to be able to put their names on product that they have already made. Bettering their odds of selling one watch to 3 to 1.
Once again, IMO, electronics have no place in Swiss watchmaking.
It's all just a ruse. Sure they let the people who were on the job at the time of acquisition keep their jobs on a five-year contract with an option to renew. That is until Citizen's people figure out what they do on a daily basis. Then their "options" will be to find another job.
That time is now... Five years later. And once again, IMO, just like Bulova and Wittnauer before them, I'm seeing the culture and design of Citizen taking over these once proud Swiss brands.
After all, they also acquired La Joux-Perret, Arnold & Son and DeMonaco. What have you seen from them in the last 5 years ? R.I.P. Alpina and Frederique Constant. :cry: It was nice knowing you.
Well I have to thank you for all of this info Forza. 馃槸馃樀Like I said, I just
thought that they saved the brand, but wasn't looking at it from that whole
hostile takeover thing at all. 馃槦If that is the case, then I don't feel nearly
as positive about the brand's future as you pointed out. And really, I haven't
kept an eye Frederique Constant, Arnold & Son and DeMonaco, La Joux-
Perret, so I had no idea about all of this. ..Let's hope that maybe, just maybe
this situation with Alpina turns out differently.

But thanks a bunch for the further insight into things Forza !!!

Registered
Well I have to thank you for all of this info Forza. 馃槸馃樀Like I said, I just
thought that they saved the brand, but wasn't looking at it from that whole
hostile takeover thing at all. 馃槦If that is the case, then I don't feel nearly
as positive about the brand's future as you pointed out. And really, I haven't
kept an eye Frederique Constant, Arnold & Son and DeMonaco, La Joux-
Perret, so I had no idea about all of this. ..Let's hope that maybe, just maybe
this situation with Alpina turns out differently.

But thanks a bunch for the further insight into things Forza !!!
Most diplomatic response. I'm clever, but you're intelligent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts