Watch Freeks banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Rolex sub is out, it now has a 41mm case and 21mm lug width. Upgraded movement to silicone hair spring and 70 hour power reserve.

Yippie…. Snap....Crackle, and Pop, Fizzle, and a Flop!

With the case size and movement, they are just catching up to their Tudor Black Bay line, except they kept the same, bore you to tears” ubiquitous Ho-Hum design. The only ones relatively interesting are the upgraded Kermit and the Kermit version with the blue bezel.

I’m sure when these come out they will cost 4 times more than a Black Bay, and only be marginally a better watch.

Rolex-Submariner-41mm-124060-no-date-Steel-2020-review-1 by Charles Ford, on Flickr

20200823_164243_resized by Charles Ford, on Flickr

Reactions: AranaWhite and FBPB

·
Registered
307 Posts
Interesting. I agree that the design is getting "long in the tooth", but on the other hand, people who want a Rolex likely want it because of the design, and creating anything too challenging or departing from their design philosophy might cause people to abandon the brand and look elsewhere.

Porsche did something similar for decades (the design of the "911" evolved so slowly). So has Harley Davidson. Seeing as Harley is in horrible financial shape, it's not something that you can always pull off.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Despite very little new innovation (most of their innovation was done a long time ago imo), they still manage to grow their fan base and bottom line with those who know a lot and those who know very little and remarkably manage to retain a decent measure of stability in value on pre-owned watches.

·
Super Moderator
10,364 Posts
Some excellent points Chaz, and is honestly at least cool to hear
about. (y) In a way I guess their own brand Tudor actually prompted
them to maybe change things up a little.🙂 However, at the same time,
it seems like they will go only so far in messing with the design. Which
one second can seem maddening, but then the next makes sense to
me. 😄

On the way hand, it's such a classic, and iconic design, that you don't
want to play around too much. Then on the other side like you are
saying, as a watch fan, you want to see something fresh, and exciting.
Guess we will just be happy that the watch is still around, and that Rolex
is still around to do these updates, or overhauls.

Really appreciate the news about this Chaz. Thanks a lot sir !!!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
That's a great size. Ubiquitous of course, with all the clones out there. Imo they're like the painting or the tune that's always a pleasure. The esthetics, symmetry and geometry are second to none. They're elegant in person. The BB's shortcoming is the thickness, but I love 'em.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The only thing Rolex is superlative with, is their marketing, they have managed to elevate a nice stainless steel watch, which to this date still doesn't have an AR crystal, to a status symbol for the rubes to drop 4 times more money on, than what they're worth..

Tudor yes, but Rolex No! Not enough Kool-Aide for me to.drink to be fleeced out my money for them.

The day I stopped wearing my crappy hollow link.16610 was the day some guy complimented me on the watch and seriously asked me "Nice watch, what's the model number on that Invicta"!

Reactions: AranaWhite

·
Registered
307 Posts
The only thing Rolex is superlative with, is their marketing, they have managed to elevate a nice stainless steel watch, which to this date still doesn't have an AR crystal, to a status symbol for the rubes to drop 4 times more money on, than what they're worth..

Tudor yes, but Rolex No! Not enough Kool-Aide for me to.drink to be fleeced out my money for them.

The day I stopped wearing my crappy hollow link.16610 was the day some guy complimented me on the watch and seriously asked me "Nice watch, what's the model number on that Invicta"!
I don't hate Rolex, but I can't say I admire how their ADs pick / choose who is worthy to buy one of their watches etc (all with Rolex's knowledge).

You are right, it's a ton of marketing, but it has been well done. I have to admire that.

The only thing I take a dislike to are Rolex "fan boys" and how violent they get when someone criticizes their chosen brand. I have never seen this in another brand.

Personally, you can make fun of my Omegas, Zeniths, Mühle Glashütte, Glashütte Original, Steinhart, etc all day long, and it's water off a duck's back, I will more than likely agree if something is stupid or not.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fan boys with tudes, I guess I hadn't noticed. The 41mm innovation must be exciting the fans; all that goodness just got a little bigger, thank you Rolex!
If you go onto the Youtube watch review sites, the Fanbois are even now getting pissed, some of these new models have a 5-year waiting list. Gray Market although has a new "Kermit" out, and it is listing for $31k, that's too much for even the most dedicated Kool-Aid drinking Fanboi drone!

Who knows, perhaps Rolex is trying to push out "normal" folks and force them onto their Tudor line, a line of watches that was what the original Rolexes they sold were supposed to be, solid tool watches, not inflated status symbols for snobs and posers!

I think when I get back to Chicago the next time, I'm pulling my Rolex 16610 out of the safety deposit box and just give it to my oldest boy early before I croak as I had planned. I certainly won't ever wear it again!

Reactions: FBPB

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I think when I get back to Chicago the next time, I'm pulling my Rolex 16610 out of the safety deposit box and just give it to my oldest boy early before I croak as I had planned. I certainly won't ever wear it again!
Does your oldest have an interest in watches?

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Does your oldest have an interest in watches?
Mildly, I have given him a couple of watches before, but citizens busy dial Ec0-Drives are what he wears the most, grab and goes. I'm sure he won't flip it until the lid goes down on my coffin, but he might sport is a few times to show his friends, but eventually, unless people come out of their trance with brand "Rolex" he should eventually be able to flip it for a lot more than the $1,800 I paid for it new in 1996.

Hell in 1967 I could have bought a Rolex Sub on a Navy Ship I was on for $180, bought a Zodiac Seawolf instead for $130 because I thought it was a sharper-looking watch. Still have that opinion today!

If the Propman had given Sean Connery this watch, the Watch industry would be in a completely different place today! The James Bond Movies boosted the Rolex sub with the mystique of a sophisticated "Dress Diver" that really is what made them take off, same way with the Omega Seamaster.

Alas my Zodiac only lasted about 4 years after getting out of the Marines, and the cost back then to service was too exorbitant for me to have it fixed, I ended up selling it for $25.

To me, dare I say, when it was new, was and is a sharper looking watch than the sub, or even my 2018 SMP.

zodiacsea1 by Charles Ford, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. I agree that the design is getting "long in the tooth", but on the other hand, people who want a Rolex likely want it because of the design, and creating anything too challenging or departing from their design philosophy might cause people to abandon the brand and look elsewhere.

Porsche did something similar for decades (the design of the "911" evolved so slowly). So has Harley Davidson. Seeing as Harley is in horrible financial shape, it's not something that you can always pull off.

Harley is dead to me as well, and I rode them for almost 8 years, a Sportster and a Hog. When they started their marketing directed at the weekend warrior Yuppie crowd and jacked their prices up so high the average Harly rider who supported them through their disastrous years of being run by the bowling pin company, were shunned, that was it for me!

Reactions: FBPB
1 - 13 of 13 Posts