Watch Freeks banner

Need to be pilot or aviator enthusiast to wear aviator watch?

• Yes, you're lame if you wear a watch that's meant for pilots

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • No, it's a cool watch and every watch collector should have one

Votes: 28 93.3%

Need to be Pilot/Aviator Enthusiast for Aviator Watch?

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  zaskar36 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just starting to become a watch enthusiast. I've always bought Citizen watches, but have decided to start my new found love of watches by moving into higher end watches. To start, I'm looking for an automatic sports watch with a rubber strap under $1500. I've had a difficult time finding one that I really like and meets my style--sporty, but can wear with business attire if necessary. One of the watches I found that I really like in terms of general looks is the Hamilton Khaki Aviation X-Patrol Auto Chrono Men's Automatic Watch seen here:

By question is, since this is an aviator watch and I'm not a pilot or an aviator enthusiast, am I'm going to be lame by wearing this watch? Or, is it perfectly fine to add this to my new collection because it's just a great watch? Are most people that buy aviator watches either pilots or into flying? Curious what others think. The other watch I'm looking at is either the Longines Hydroconquest (rubber strap) or the Oris Dive watch 43mm.

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I have dive watches that have the timing bezel unturned, and I also have Chronometers that have never been used to time anything.

They are either useful, or nice ornaments, either way is fine.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious
#6 · (Edited)
I love my pilot watches and find that they transition from casual wear to board room with ease. Try Glycine. They are high end and very versatile.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious
#10 ·
No way! I love the pilot design and have a little dream that someday I might own an IWC Big Pilot.

I guess the only type of watch I would shy away from is anything specially designed for the wrists of police, fire fighters, service members, etc. as a salute to them for their service. I would feel weird wearing something like that unless I were actually a member of that select group.

#11 ·
Down here in Texas we have an expression similar to the premise "Do you have to be
a diver to wear divers or a pilot to wear an aviators watch"?

We call the expression "Drug Store Cowboy". A guy who wears western garb down
to a belt with their name on it, and a knock off buckle for some rodeo event they've
never competed in.

My feelin is if you have the cash to buy and wear Divers or Pilots watches DO IT!!!!
America is a Free Country where you can do just about anything that doesn't offend.

X traindriver Art

#12 ·
Thanks, all, for the replies! I guess the only thing I think might be different for myself with a diver watch is that I typically use the functions on those watches and I wouldn't use all the functions on the aviator watch. I have NO idea what some of the functions do on this watch! :) But I do use the bezel or chronographs to time things. Also, although I'm not a diver, I do like the water and do some snorkeling.

Sounds like I shouldn't care either way with the aviator watch. This Hamilton is pretty sweet and I'm leaning toward keeping it. I'm going to look at a couple more watches today including the Hydroconquest.

Thanks, again!

#13 ·
Definitely would say it's perfectly fine scopek ! :smileyface_hand_cla :clapping-hands-abovThe watch is beautiful no matter how you cut it. You don't have to be a diver, or pilot in this case to enjoy the watch. You just have to enjoy watches ! :) Looks fantastic, and hope that you have fun wearing it in the next week, and many years to come. Congratulations there, and welcome aboard also !!!

#15 ·
Thanks, again! I ended up buying the Longines Hydroconquest today. Maybe the issue was more that I was hoping for a "simple" design for my first higher end purchase when I thought about it more. I just couldn't resist the Hydroconquest after putting it on. It's awesome! But the Hamilton is going to stay on my wish list and I might get it next.

This post has been deleted
#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.