Watch Freeks banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the battery in a Miyota GP10 movement, but the watch doesn't run. I have encountered this with a few other quartz movements as well. Any ideas as to why? I know some watches have to be jump started after a battery replacement. but I can't see any grounding indicator on this movement. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
This is a sign that the movement already has some issues that are not battery-related. You can use an Elma Profi-check to fast-forward the timing, sometimes that helps to get things running again. That would be the last resort before bringing your piece to a watchmaker.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Typically when a brand new battery doesn't start it running again, the issue seems to be with the movement itself. I think some of the (maybe older?) movements need a reset after a battery change. I remember doing it once but it was so long ago I don't even remember the procedure. I believe some section needs to be shorted or something. I would also check for any debris to see if there might be some blockage but if none of these methods work a trip to the watchmaker might be in order.

·
4,210 Posts
WF's:
Daughter's Tag Formula One stopped running
She brings it to me (just like always) and I
take it to my go to watchguy.

Problem wasn't battery. Seemingly she had
dropped the watch and a solder joint had broken.

Watch guy resolders contact point. Watch has
been running ever since.

Cost to repair? $8.00 How bout them apples?

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
294 Posts
You don't necessarily have to find the right spot to jump start the movement. I had a Junghans and I just moved the tip of my tweezers around until I found the "right" spot and the movement started.

I guess it depends on the movement, some will have the AC conductor (or whatever it's called) area, some will not but you can still try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a newbie in here and to the world of watches, I find this article fascinating. I was planning on changing a battery in an older watch of mine for the first time ever but would have been heartbroken if it didn't run after I had opened it. never knew what would need a jump start after a battery replacement. But having said that I would only dare open up my cheaper less important watches.

·
Senior Novice
3,665 Posts
Glad this got a bump, interesting.
The first watch i bought when i jumped in the game did this. i replaced it with another beater but wondered why it wouldn't start. i did check the battery it was good. i kept it so i'll have to try this, or something for curiosity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.