Watch Freeks banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just checked my watches and noticed that one of my older Mavados wasnt working. The second hand is stuck. Its trying to move but it goes one second then back one second. Does anyone know what the problem is?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

quartz

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

When was the battery last replaced? That may be all it needs.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

a few years back. if it were the battery wouldn't it not move at all?

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

IVXX wrote:
If it's been awhile since you've had the battery replaced it's probably it.

Quartz time pieces (this includes clocks, too) do funny stuff when the battery is dying. The second hands dance around.

I'd have it checked out.

Or it could be dirt or debris in the movement. Especially if it's a new watch.

Or, sometimes if it gets dropped it will dislodge crap in the case and gum up the works.

This can happen even in a quartz watch.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

ok thanks guys. i really don't wear it too often so when i get a chance ill bring it in to get checked out.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

I know that some Eco-drives will jump 2 seconds to tell you it needs to be charged. this might be doing a similar thing as the battery wears down.

·
Banned
556 Posts
imported post

look up the movement.Chances are, the battery is almost drained.The reason its bouncing between the one second mark is how quartz watches are designed to conserve the battery.Thats why the second hand clicks at one second intervals.

With a low battery, it doesn't have enough power to make it jump to the next second.In a few days, it will just stop moving at all.If its been over 2 years, it might be time to also get it cleaned and lubricated, and the seals checked.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

yeah im having the battery changed this week and gona have them clean it as well. I dont have a clue what movement it has. It was my grandfathers watch. Im not even sure how old the watch is.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

IVXX wrote:
yeah im having the battery changed this week and gona have them clean it as well. I dont have a clue what movement it has. It was my grandfathers watch. Im not even sure how old the watch is.
Make sure you let us know if youget it back up and running. Then post some pictures. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

will do.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

Well I got it back today. Replaced the battery and it works fine. Here are some pics I just took.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Me tooooo...

I'm glad that all you needed was a battery. That was an easy fix.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.