Watch Freeks banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all. I have just started to wear my old Citizen cal-3510 which is just over 18 years old. It has not had any wrist time in about 5 years. Before I mothballed it, I took out the battery to prevent any leakage. I have now fitted a new battery & the watch came back to life. The time keeping is very accurate, just like new. On testing the chronograph function, I noticed the 1/50th's second hand did not rotate, even though the seconds counter & minutes counter hands operated ok. After wearing it for a few hours, I found the 1/50th's second hand started to work intermittently in a stuttering way not quite keeping up in sync with the seconds counter. On the odd occasion it works just fine. Do I just accept the movement is bust, or is there an easy solution? Cheers!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wish I could help (I have a few Citizens, all running but no Chronos - thankfully) but all I could suggest would be to see if it improves "with time". If not, send to Citizen which people have said on various forums offer pretty good service.

·
Registered
7,651 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for those replies. I have been wearing the watch for a couple of days now, & it works perfectly without fail whilst on the wrist. If I take it off the wrist & leave it a couple of hours, it plays up like described in the original post. So from what I can gather, it would seem like it only works correctly when warm or at body temperature. I think it may possibly be something to do with the lubricants in the movement after the watch not being used for years. Hopefully if I keep wearing it & operate the chronograph function regularly, it will 'wear it in' & redistribute the lubricants. I'm hopeful, but that's my best guess! Is my 'guess' possible, or am I over simplifying it?

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Sounds like a little bit of dry lubricant is in your movement. Those things tend to happen after 18 years of sitting around. I suggest you send it to Citizen for a service and a cleaning. I'll bet that fixes your problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts