Watch Freeks banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm planning on bidding on the watch seen in the attached photos. The seller says he recently purchased the watch from someone who guaranteed its authenticity, but said he wasn't skilled enough to open up the watch and provide me with photos of its movement.

I'm concerned that it may not be genuine, since I cannot see its inner workings, but was hoping someone on these forums might be able to shine some light on it. Thanks!

Attachments

· Registered
7,661 Posts
If he won't open the case for to get the model number off the case back and see the movement, then walk away.
My thoughts on the dial though, it just doesn't look right, and the hands don't fit an Omega style. Also the Omega symbol and name look a bit large.
If it is an Omega, most likely a re-dial, new hands and who knows what else.

Reactions: jason_recliner

· Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
If he won't open the case for to get the model number off the case back and see the movement, then walk away.
My thoughts on the dial though, it just doesn't look right, and the hands don't fit an Omega style. Also the Omega symbol and name look a bit large.
If it is an Omega, most likely a re-dial, new hands and who knows what else.
Yeah, looks suspiciously like one of the cheap converted pocketwatches that have been pouring out of the Ukraine over the past few years. Likely an old but genuine Omega pocketwatch movement, an aftermarket dial, and a cheap SS case made in god-knows-where.

They are not horrible, and in fact for the right price I wouldn't turn one down, but they are not real Omega's, and often have questionable build quality and service history.

I am no expert, and could very well be wrong, but that is what it looks like to me.

17,073 Posts
Why would you want a fake Omega? It's worthless, and I'll go out on a limb and say that no one here will tell you to buy a worthless fake. I'll probably get banned by answering your question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
7,520 Posts
Okay thanks, appreciate the info. It's going for around $100 right now, I think I might be able to get it for around $150 shipped. Do you think that's worth it?
Well, without knowing if it has a real omega movement, no I don't. Even then, old Omega pocketwatch movements aren't worth much, and that is why they end up in these cobbled together creations.

Why would you want a fake Omega? It's worthless, and I'll go out on a limb and say that no one here will tell you to buy a worthless fake. I'll probably get banned by answering your question
To be fair, it is probably only mostly fake. More of a frankenwatch (assuming it has a gen omega movement inside).

Worthless? If it tells time more than twice a day accurately I'd say no.
Worth buying? Most probably not.

8,177 Posts
A genuine converted Omega pocket watch looks like this. I sadly did not buy it because it came with full paper work, packaging and the movement was beautiful. And it was a steal. The watch you are showing looks like (pardon my French) a cheap and [email protected] Chinese knock off but I'm by no means an expert.

Reactions: tinknocker
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.