Watch Freeks banner

NEED HELP IN BUYING A FOR MY FATHER

4K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  hikeNbike 
#1 ·
Hi guys. It been some time since I have posted here as I said before I was busy in trying to maintain my new business. Anyway coming to the topic.
My parents have moved to USA.... so he asked me to think of a good vehicle for him.
His looking for a vehicle in the price range of $17000 to $20000, new and or but preferred new. He will be using it for in-city mostly but sometimes cross state. So which vehicle would you guys prefer?

#3 ·
I agree. A Used Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry would be a great pick-up. They could be hard to find a late model one in good shape as people tend to hold on to them and keep them in the family as they are sound used cars for kids as they grow up and start driving. Good luck.

Reactions: RickF and Abdullah
#7 ·
I have driven these they are good vehicles... I told him about Honda and camry but he is not going for that... I think he will like this.

#10 ·
What about 2015 Buick Verano?

#11 ·
I would honestly recommend buying a brand new Kia Sorento SUV
There just is nothing on the market for 20K with as many features. Nothing, and we looked hard.

I have the 2015 Kia Optima SXL model. It is amazing, but I would not recommend it for potential snow use like Chicago would have. For that reason I would say go for the Sorento. Just get way way way more for your money

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sorento/2016

My optima looks like this (it is above the price range you mentioned new, but you can get used ones in that range)

#12 ·
I would consider a Honda CRV with 4 wheel drive for bad weather driving. New they are more than $20K but you can get one a few years old for less than that. My son has one and it has been a great car for him. My wife drives an older Honda Pilot. She loves it, but they are expensive new and I don't like the newer models as much as the older ones.

Reactions: Abdullah
#14 ·
Abdullah-

Greetings from Montana State where we have snow on the ground nearly 4+ months out of the year. We are a 2 Subaru Forester family, a 2009 and a new 2015. We simply couldn't be happier with the safety and security of fulltime all wheel drive and good fuel economy. Excellent resale value and value retention along with ride stability and ride height.
The Impreza is a great option for a 4/door family car with 4 all-wheel drive safety.

I wish you good success in your search

#15 ·
Stay away from carmax. Trust me. My crap jetta I bought from there was over priced and broke down on me within 6 months of ownership. But, go with a used Camry or accord. To a lesser extent, Subaru or Hyundai offerings are good, but the reliability isn't on par with the prior mentions.

That price new, you're looking at a kia soulor rio, Chevy cruise or sonic, stripped down corolla, Hyundai of some sort, and something else. Lol.

#16 ·
Hmmm..... so at the moment it's either Chevy Cruze, Subaru impreza, Toyota camry or Honda CRV

#17 ·
Look up the most stolen cars online for Chicago and go with the better bad weather car not on the list.
If you can, get a bullet proof car...

Bullet proof means more than one thing BTW

All of the suggestions are spot on. Kia is a real comer now but again, owning a car not on the most stolen gives you peace of mind if you must park outside.

#18 ·
The Honda CRV a couple of yrs old would be great! Unfortunately, the 2015 4cyl with the CVT (continuously variable transmission) has a lot of vibration complaints at idle and also around 70 mph. This was the model I was going to get fairly soon. My wife's Accord with same pwr plant is great... smooth and avg 31 mpg. Honda knows they have a problem with the latest CRV (4cyl) model and even have a YouTube video admitting it. They've tried changing the computer program, but seems they have some mechanical problem -- like motor mounts or something else.

Reactions: Abdullah
#19 ·
Choosing a vehicle is a personal experience in that he should get what he likes after taking a test drive. There have been many excellent suggestions. As to which is the best only your dad will be able to answer that. The vehicles mentioned are a great starting point. Some other items to consider. What incentives are being offered.
Is the dealership a good one? How good is his negotiating skills. Keep in mind there are many slimy sales guys out there who could pull a quick one. Best Interest on a loan, if that is the way he is going, may not be given unless he insists.

At the end of the day have him go drive all of them and have them give him all the info and you can help him decide.

BTW i have a toyota which has been a champ but many vehicles of the previous year to mine had many problems, big huge bad problems. Toyota is a good vehicle but they too have issues. Also, he may want to go with a pre-certified vehicle from toyota. That is what i did. I got a 2007 tacoma for about 15k off the sticker price. It had 37k miles and they gave me a 100k warranty which i did have to use. And as was mentioned stay away from carmax. Have a friend who had two vehicles from them give him maior troubles.

#21 ·
After looking at all the input from you guys, for which I am thankful, Subaru impreza or the Subaru Forester seems like the better option. It's not on the most stolen vehicle list, it's AWD which is good for both normal conditions and snow and is in the price range.
My father is more interested in Buick Verano 2015 but I'll give him the info I got you your input too.
In the end, as "slowmotion" said it up to him. Let's see what he decides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.