Watch Freeks banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nearly two years ago, I bought a new Hamilton Khaki Automatic from Ashford.com. Several months after I bought it, the face fogged up from the inside. Not fogged up meaning I went from a cool room to the hot humid outside, but misty with water drops forming. The watch is rated to 10 bars, so I figured there was a problem with the gasket, or something. Suffice it to say, I sent it back. They did some repairs (under warranty and for free) and I got the watch back. Several months ago, the same thing happened. Again, I sent the watch back, they did several more repairs (replacing the body, the crown, the gasket, etc) all for free, and sent the watch back. I've had it back now for nearly a month, and low and behold....the watch is again fogging up from inside. I'm only assuming this is a bad thing, since moisture inside would corrode the components. Now, I'm not particularly hard on my watches: No diving, no high altitude climbing, nothing that could conceivably have stressed the watch. Am I wrong to think that this watch is just a lemon? At this point I have zero confidence that its rated to any bars whatsoever. And I'm very frustrated. Thoughts on remedies?

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
Hi Katanga, welcome to WF ! :)

Wow, that is a shame, and it sounds like you have done everything possible. ..You would think the sending it in for repair multiple times would have fixed the problem like you said.

Have to wonder if there might be something they have, or are missing with the repairs. ..Do you think maybe they could give you a totally new watch?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd talk to them and see about getting a replacement watch. At this point I think they've proven that they can't fix the problem and it's a defect that's been there since day one. Or see if they'll cover the cost if you have it serviced elsewhere. I've never bought from Ashford so I don't know if they'll do that or not but I'd give it a shot.

Have you tried a local watchmaker and see what their thoughts are?

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
They must have missed a seal. It's not screw down so I would see if they replaced the crown seal and I'm pretty sure there's a tube seal also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts