Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I love soup im sure i have said this before...I need a good Mushroom Barley soup recipe...Lets post them up...

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

I cook quick, easy, and semi-home-made using a lot of prepared, canned, and frozeningredients, but here is one that is nearly all home made and fresh.

Well here is one of the easiest I know of...
Season and brown a pound of ground chuck, drain well.
Add 5 cups cold water, 1 peck of fresh sliced mushrooms about 2 cups, 1 cup heavy cream, 6 beef bouillon cubes, approximately 1 cup of each chopped onion, celery and carrots and 1 cup dry barley. Add 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/4 cup each of loosely packed dry chive and parsley.
Simmer for around one hour stirring occasionally.
in 1/4 cup of very cold water, stir and dissolve2 Tbs corn starch and add to soup. Cook another 15 minutes while it thickens. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Tera-Ram wrote:
I cook quick, easy, and semi-home-made using a lot of prepared, canned, and frozeningredients, but here is one that is nearly all home made and fresh.

Well here is one of the easiest I know of...
Season and brown a pound of ground chuck, drain well.
Add 5 cups cold water, 1 peck of fresh sliced mushrooms about 2 cups, 1 cup heavy cream, 6 beef bouillon cubes, approximately 1 cup of each chopped onion, celery and carrots and 1 cup dry barley. Add 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/4 cup each of loosely packed dry chive and parsley.
Simmer for around one hour stirring occasionally.
in 1/4 cup of very cold water, stir and dissolve2 Tbs corn starch and add to soup. Cook another 15 minutes while it thickens. Enjoy.
Sounds awesome Tera...gotta try it out...thanks for the quick response...

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

hey Jack, here is one i have used for a couple of years..............its best to me to use dry shitake or porcini mushrooms to give it a real earthy flavor..............

Boiling water
1 pkg. dry mushrooms
1 lb. short ribs or soup meat
1/2 c. barley
1/2 c. dry lima beans
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 onion
1 tsp. salt
Pepper
Garlic salt

Pour boiling water over mushrooms, cover and let set for 5 minutes. Cut mushrooms in small pieces. Place meat, barley, lima beans and mushrooms in a large kettle with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours. Dice carrots, celery, onion and add with seasoning to soup. Continue cooking for another half hour. Meat may be diced before serving.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

All right Chef, are you trying to make my recipes look bad!

LOL JK

I'll have to try yours, sounds good also. I understand why you chose dry mushrooms, they have a stronger flavor, and they won't add water to the dish, on the contrary they will absorb it and absorb the soup flavours as well.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
hey Jack, here is one i have used for a couple of years..............its best to me to use dry shitake or porcini mushrooms to give it a real earthy flavor..............

Boiling water
1 pkg. dry mushrooms
1 lb. short ribs or soup meat
1/2 c. barley
1/2 c. dry lima beans
2 carrots
2 stalks celery
1 onion
1 tsp. salt
Pepper
Garlic salt

Pour boiling water over mushrooms, cover and let set for 5 minutes. Cut mushrooms in small pieces. Place meat, barley, lima beans and mushrooms in a large kettle with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 hours. Dice carrots, celery, onion and add with seasoning to soup. Continue cooking for another half hour. Meat may be diced before serving.
Sounds scrumptious Chef...I will definitely try this recipe also...Thanks brutha...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts