Watch Freeks banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always been a bracelet fan on wrist watches, only in the last couple of years did I start wearing them on straps as a change up in looks.

Never thought too much of Nato straps, thought they looked rather silly with the extra steel keepers and the ends tucked in, sticking out like a bow on a Christmas present.

A few months ago on a trip back to Chicago I took along a beater Invicta Sub clone wearing it on a vintage “Bond “ strap which has no steel on it other then the buckle, the end folds into a cloth keeper.

Liked it so much I purchased the next step up, a RAF Nato strap, this operates the same as the vintage Nato but has the the extra fold were the watch is sitting on two layers of nylon, rather then just on the Vintage.

In addition I also purchased some perlon straps, including the newest one from Clockworksynergy which has a much improved buckle system.

I have gone from being completely turned off to Nato straps ( I still am for the 3 keeper piece style ones) to loving them. They are extremely comfortable, I now sleep with a watch on, where in the past the bracelet models were just to uncomfortable to do that.

You can change up the look of a watch in a matter of seconds and the watch is much more secure on your wrist then with a bracelet or a strap.

I love them and now have about 20 different ones in my collection, and they have already saved me money, since if I get bored with a watch, instead of going out and buying a new one, I just throw a different Nato on it.

Longines LLD on RAF Nato

Seiko Blumo on RAF Nato

Seiko SKX173 on leather Nato, (I personally don’t like all the stuff sticking out )

The now DOA Invicta on “Vintage Bond” strap

Perlon straps, normal perolon vs. ClockworkSynergy

Notice how the green strap which is the Clocksynergy new model, looks and works more like a normal strap buckle. It is also more comfortable then the other standard perlon. The standard buckle has sharp corners and is uncomfortable at times, the Clockworksynergy perlon is also an inch or two longer for better fit on a wet suit, I guess??

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the dark side!!! Lol. I keep a ton of NATO straps. Trying to buy more perlon straps. I only have 3 :(
My advice get the new clockworksynerngy ones with the normal type buckles, much more comfortable, although they are a little long, even for my 8" wrist.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Digging that raf nato !! Great collection .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,680 Posts
Used to be the same exact way Chazman, and then saw the light too ! :smile-thumb: Had gotten a few for some vintage watches a while back, and think they are fantastic.

Just looking at the different ones you have is unbelievable also. The way they make the watches look is incredible, and there are so many looks/combos. Just are beyond cool really !!! :cool: :eek:

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Man im glad other people sleep with there watch on. Im not the only one. I think that nato straps look unusual and different, Thats why I like them. I don't really like to fold over and tuck so I generally try to find a specific length that i don't have to fold over.

in this photo you can see how the length is perfect. No fold over

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If you really want an excellent Nato with quality hardware check ToxicNato. I've got several, and like these better than any I've had before.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I don't like the thin and flimsy ones you get for free at watch purchases. They go into the bin right away. I like the heftier ones with good, stainless steel hardware.

I had exactly the same feelings towards mesh bands. They used to represent a watch era that just wasn't right. The Seventies. Boy, were those watches ugly! So I thought. But now:

Reactions: Roarry

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The only good thing about NATOs, IMO, is they look good in photographs.
The have a few extra benefits,

A. they are easy to change out and change the look of the watch, takes about 10 seconds.

B. The have the extra security of having both lug pins secured so if one fails the watch doesn't drop off your wrist. If I was seriously going to dive or be out on an open boat, these are the best.

C. they are extremely comfortable to wear.

D. they do look as good in person as they do in a photo, but I don't like the the ones with the extra metal keepers, that's why I have mainly the RAF Nato and the Vintage Bond. Perlons are great too!

Reactions: #four

·
Registered
527 Posts
A. I don't want to change the look of the watch strap from cheap to a different colour cheap!

B. I've never had a spring bar fail. On the flip side, one piece straps apply more force to spring bars as they are tightened.

C. I don't find nylon at all comfortable. Leather is much more comfortable, followed by rubber, followed by steel, IMO.

D. They just look cheap to me. Probably because they are cheap.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Well, we're all entitled to our personal opinion. We all can't agree on everything. That's why people create options.

You ever tried a leather NATO strap? You might like them. After finally getting home, and trying on my tisell pilot, I see in going to hate the strap that came with it. It's too thick in my opinion. But, I'm thinking of getting a leather NATO to replace it.

I like NATO (please excuse the constant caps. Swype capitalizes it automatically) straps on certain watches. Mostly the ones I hate the original strap on. I can't change my watches up to match what I'm wearing that day, or if I think my watch doesn't stand out enough, I'll change the strap to accentuate it a bit more.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
A. I don't want to change the look of the watch strap from cheap to a different colour cheap!

B. I've never had a spring bar fail. On the flip side, one piece straps apply more force to spring bars as they are tightened.

C. I don't find nylon at all comfortable. Leather is much more comfortable, followed by rubber, followed by steel, IMO.

D. They just look cheap to me. Probably because they are cheap.
Are you trying to tell us you don't like NATO straps? ;)

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 17 of 17 Posts