21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

⚠️
Napa County Lightning Fires Update
⚠️

These are estimated numbers currently as the day goes on better size estimates can be determined.
There has been structure loss in multiple areas but at this time cant confirm locations
Green Fire (15-10) - Off Berryessa Knoxville Rd near Putah Creek Bridge
8,000 Acres - 0% Contained
Hennessy Fire - Off Hennessy Ridge Road and Chiles Pope Valley Rd
12,500 Acres - 0% Contained
Gamble Fire - Off Berryessa Knoxville Rd and Eastside Rd
13,000 Acres - 0% Contained
Spanish Fire - Near Berryessa Estates
4,000 Acres - 0% Contained
Markley Fire - Near Berryessa Dam
5,000 Acres - 0% Contained
Morgan Fire - Near old Homestake Gold Mine off Morgan Valley Rd
2,200 Acres - 0% Contained
(Smaller fires have not been updated yet)
Heat map is not a accurate fireline map

·
Super Moderator
10,414 Posts
I think I've technically been evacuated, but I'm at work, so I'm not really sure. That said, the wind is virtually calm, and the very light breeze where I'm at is out of the west (as it always is) and should push the fire away from my house. At this point I'm just playing it by ear, keeping a watch on the flight radar tracker ( tar1090 ) to see where the air tankers are working, and taking it as it comes. That is about all I can do at this point.

⚠️
Napa County Lightning Fires Update
⚠️

These are estimated numbers currently as the day goes on better size estimates can be determined.
There has been structure loss in multiple areas but at this time cant confirm locations
Green Fire (15-10) - Off Berryessa Knoxville Rd near Putah Creek Bridge
8,000 Acres - 0% Contained
Hennessy Fire - Off Hennessy Ridge Road and Chiles Pope Valley Rd
12,500 Acres - 0% Contained
Gamble Fire - Off Berryessa Knoxville Rd and Eastside Rd
13,000 Acres - 0% Contained
Spanish Fire - Near Berryessa Estates
4,000 Acres - 0% Contained
Markley Fire - Near Berryessa Dam
5,000 Acres - 0% Contained
Morgan Fire - Near old Homestake Gold Mine off Morgan Valley Rd
2,200 Acres - 0% Contained
(Smaller fires have not been updated yet)
Heat map is not a accurate fireline map
Well, have to say, you honestly have an amazing attitude about it
all Will, and seem really really calm. 😉 You're going with the flow
way of thinking is really commendable. I know if I was evacuated
for some reason here, my attitude might not be as cool. Wow, and
didn't realize there were so many fires actually going on at once.
That map, along with all of the information on things is pretty scary.
But at least you are always being updated by the status of all of
the fires.

Appreciate you taking the time to tell us what exactly is going on
like this. ..Want to wish you, and everyone there good, or actually
great luck Will.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There is no sense in getting all uptight and wound up about something you can't control. I've been here and done this once before. All I can do is watch the wind and keep rolling the dice. I see no effort to contain the portion of the fire that could affect me, so I'm guessing the pros think its not going to come this direction. If they did, I think they would have more resources trying to lay down a fire line so it doesn't burn back into Napa. I don't think they want a repeat of what happened in north eastern Santa Rosa two years ago.

Right now the arm that is closest to me is pretty much stationary (I'm very close to Silverado Country club). The wind is 0-7 mph from the west, s,southwest. so its pushing the fire away from me. (barely since its pretty much calm. I can see some leaves gently moving outside on the trees, but its not enough to move a flag.) As long as the wind doesn't kick up out of the east or southeast, I've got nothing to worry about. (The wind doesn't come from the east or southeast pretty much ever.)

Will

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just saw on the news about the lighting swarm, 10,000+ strikes starting a lot of fires!

Man stay safe!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yeah it was pretty crazy. Totally believable however simply based off of what you can see in my pics.

Will

·
Super Moderator
10,414 Posts
It’s actually so true about not getting all upset, and bent out
of shape I guess Will. From my perspective, along with I bet
a lot of the members here it all sound scary. However, you,
and everyone out there has had a lot of experience with fires,
and what to look for, or be aware of. (y) (y) Guess as long
as the experts, and residents aren’t very worried yet, that we
shouldn’t be either.

Let’s hope those winds keep staying light, and things can calm
down, and get under control. Or more under control sir. Thanks
so much once again for checking in, and giving the updates Will !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Update, the wind is still pretty much calm, the smoke has cleared (Not gone, but visibility is far better.) Its cooled off to 90 degrees (from 102) I think tonight will be pretty much the same as last night. (There will be pics taken. I might venture across the valley to shoot back this way. )

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Just remember lighting can travel 10 miles sideways before arcing down to the ground...

·
Super Moderator
10,414 Posts
That's great news Will, and hopefully the trend keeps continuing for
the next few days at least. That way firefighters can really get control
of everything, and people can be safe, and get back to their homes.
Really hope if you do go out to take those pictures, that things are
alright, and that you take it easy. Be careful sir.

Thanks so much for checking in, and everything !

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Morning update... All appears quiet on the western front. The temps dropped substantially over night and the wind was calm. I don't know what the southern or eastern flanks of the fires are looking like (Travis AFB was evacuated aside from mission critical personal) The fires to the north caused the evacuation of the town of Angwin and Deer Park (just east of St Helena) last night. I don't know if anything has changed up that direction. It sounds like some family friends ranch in Pope Valley is still standing, they are fighting it the fire. Another ranch (owned by the other brother of the same family) just south and west of Angwin has been evacuated, but has a very good chance of survival if the fire comes their way. The property has a well maintained fire break around the perimeter as well as a sprinkler system along the fence line specifically for fire prevention. (They have plenty of water, and some huge diesel powered pumps with large fuel tanks to feed the system.) The property is listed with both St Helena Fire dept and Cal Fire as being a defendable space so if the fire comes that direction they will do their best to save it.

Thats all I've got for now.

·
Super Moderator
10,414 Posts
Thank YOU Will !

Love how it sounds like everyone is working together to take on these fires.
I mean I guess that's the case all of the time, but is just refreshing to hear
about it in this particular case with this fire. (y) (y)

By the way, is incredibly interesting hearing about fire breaks, and actual
sprinkler systems. Wow, talk about impressive ! Let's hope they don't end
up needing it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The fire prevention steps taken by the one ranch is the direct result of a fire in 1982 (I think) that almost claimed the place. $ was less of a object, making the place as safe as possible for the future was the bigger factor, so they went all in hand haven't needed to use it since, until, perhaps now. Its one of the oldest ranches in the valley, with two wine caves dated 1877 and 1879. (Both have had collapses so the tunnels are filled.) but it gives you and idea of how old the property is. Most of the original buildings are still there as well. They also have their own fire truck (that was sort of accidently bought at a charity fundraising event. There was only one bid...) It runs and drives and the pumps work so if need be they can fill the truck up and use that as well.

As of noon, looks like all the air tankers are focused on a fire west of Healdsburg, a little north of Santa Rosa. Everything is about the same here as it was this morning, Dead calm and much cooler than it has been for the past week.

Will

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thank YOU Will !

Love how it sounds like everyone is working together to take on these fires.
I mean I guess that's the case all of the time, but is just refreshing to hear
about it in this particular case with this fire. (y) (y)

By the way, is incredibly interesting hearing about fire breaks, and actual
sprinkler systems. Wow, talk about impressive ! Let's hope they don't end
up needing it.
I'd never heard a perimeter sprinkler system before now but if you have the money it sounds like a good idea...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The property is a 3600 acre vineyard, so much of the infrastructure to do it was already there. The sprinklers are big, high volume crop sprinklers that soak everything in their range. The ranch sits in its own little valley with fairly steep sides, so they can make a pretty decent fireline just with the sprinklers. They doubled it up with the plowed fireline on the inside of the fence as well.

The weather is continuing to stay cool, with near calm wind.

·
Super Moderator
10,414 Posts
I'd never heard a perimeter sprinkler system before now but if you have the money it sounds like a good idea...
The property is a 3600 acre vineyard, so much of the infrastructure to do it was already there. The sprinklers are big, high volume crop sprinklers that soak everything in their range. The ranch sits in its own little valley with fairly steep sides, so they can make a pretty decent fireline just with the sprinklers. They doubled it up with the plowed fireline on the inside of the fence as well.

The weather is continuing to stay cool, with near calm wind.
You knows guys, you would never think something like sprinklers
could be such a triumphant hero in fighting fires. Not that these
are your average every day sprinklers like you both are saying,
but it’s just cool to find out about, and learn about. I know there
have been water issues there in California for years. But imagine
if they could have a huge system of sprinklers always ready to go
all throughout fire prone areas out there. They could even be
used ahead of fires starting in preventative ways. (y)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Even standard lawn sprinklers can help. Think about it, fire doesn't do water at all. That is a losing battle for fire every time. For a grass fire that isn't that hot, if the area is wet enough before the fire hits, its not going to burn through easily. The water also cools the air, increases the humidity in the area and both of those help slow a fire. Sure, a raging hot fire will blow right through a lawn, but, if there are lots of flying embers, those won't have a chance with sprinklers on. It also makes sense to have sprinklers on the roof if you can get them set up for exactly the same reason. This was the issue in Santa Rosa when the north eastern part of town burnt to the ground. Lots of burning embers setting people's roofs on fire, then the rest of the house would go up. If everything is somewhat damp and still receiving water, fire will have a hard time burning that localized area. As I said, if its wind driven 100 foot tall flames that you can feel half a mile away, lawn sprinklers aren't going to do much. The heat will evaporate the water instantly. For an advancing grass fire that is just burning dead stuff on the ground, regular sprinklers might have a chance.

·
Super Moderator
10,414 Posts
Will, yeah, seriously, every word you said above makes sense, and seems
so common sensical. What's neat too, is it sounds so simple, as well as at
least semi easy for people to do. Because a lot of people most likely are
going to have sprinklers. Even if it's just an old regular sprinkler, two, or
three they have in their shed, or garage. Putting them around, and having
them on has to at least help. Oh, and love the idea of putting them on the
roof ! ..That is some real MacGyver thinking right there ! (y)(y)

Like you are saying, they may not help too much during 100 foot flames,
but to stop smaller fires, and embers setting grass, brush, or roofs, it does
at least seem like a cool option. Literally too I guess. 🙂

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Yeah, The hard truth is when mother nature rises up there's nothing man can do to stop it...

·
Super Moderator
10,414 Posts
Will, how are things on your end there?

It’s been a while since we talked with you about the fires,
and everything. I know things have gotten even scarier out
there too, and it’s been crazy seeing all the reports on TV.
Have been really worried about how you were doing. Just
hope things are alright. Or as alright as they can be I mean.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts