Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in the Napa Valley, we generally don't get any weather. Mostly its sunny and hot, or dreary and cool. There isn't much in between.

Sunday morning was the exception to the norm. I couldn't sleep due to not having any a/c and it was 90 degrees in my bedroom. I saw a quick flash of light, wasn't sure if I actually saw it, or not. A few minutes later, my room lit up. I definetly saw that. I jumped out of bed, put some clothes on and looked outside to see quite a thunderstorm going on across the valley. I love to photograph lightning, but I never get it here, so I quickly grabbed the tripod and camera and headed out to set up. Here are the results.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Those are amazing photos, Some look too good to be real!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was pretty awesome to see. There were a few that I totally missed due to either happening between shots (was using a remote shutter) or were in the opposite direction. Toward the end I went and got the other tripod and camera and set it up facing off to my right looking up valley to try and get some awesome shots that I was missing with the ultra wide lens. By that time, the storm was running out of juice and I was ready to go back to bed. (about 6am.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There wasn't a lot of thunder where I was. Some, but it wasn't loud, and wasn't frequent. For the most part it was just awesome lightning. Oddly and fortunately, there weren't many fires caused by the strikes. This morning's storm set off more fires, and at least one good sized one that could go very big with a little wind. (Its been pretty calm all day here, so not really any extra wind to push the fire other than the wind the fire makes on its own.)

I'm glad you like my pics.

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
It's something how you guys don't get this kind of weather out there. 😮
Kind of just took it for granted that everyone got thunderstorms once
in a while. ..Always am learning, and finding out new things Will. (y)🙂
Holy cowza, and can just imagine how much of a treat this must have
been for you ! 😎 It's like natures firework show, and when in such
a beautiful area like this is really incredible !!!

Seeing those awesome rolling hills alone has to be really spectacular.
However, then seeing them all lit up in the light of the lightning (Hey that
sounds like a movie, tv show, or book title !) 😄..is just epic ! Seriously
takes your breath away, and I am just looking at pictures sir. Outstanding,
and love the different looks of the lightning, as well as different colors.
Seriously, it looks blue one time, and white, or gray the next, and then
purple ! So happy that you got to see this Will, AND actually get pics !

Thanks a ton for sharing !!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The color of the lightning is rather interesting. I have two shots that show it especially well.

both of these clearly have different colored lightning, now read what is going on with the different colors.

The dynamics of different colors going on are mind blowing. You have super hot, cooler, rain, no rain all in the same frame.

I've always loved watching lightning. It took me years to figure out how to capture it on a camera. (Its a lot easier than you think.) I grew up in the high desert where we could get afternoon thunderstorms at least once a week if not more than that. They were typically single bolts or sheet lightning, not this crazy spider web of energy coursing across the sky. I've taken some awesome lightning pics at Oshkosh for the airshow the past two years, and found one evening at the Reno Air Races where the lightning was active. This stuff was more like Oshkosh lightning vs the somewhat less dramatic lightning at Reno.

Will

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I too have always loved watching lightning, The last time a BIG storm rolled through the area it was getting really nasty very quickly so I took my 80 year old mother I'd be right back and I ran out and jumped in my car and just then it hit hard with more lightning than I've seen here hitting all around!

After it died down fairly quickly I went back inside only to find my mother freaking out and she told me she thought I had went out in the poring rain and she said she was at the open door yelling my name!

She should know better than I would go out running around in a rain storm BUT apparently she did not...

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
It really is mind blowing Will, and how you literally got to see
all the kinds, and colors of lightning in one night. Or morning
here in this case ! 😲😀 Actually never even realized all of
these things about lightning, so want to thank you for all of
the terrific information, and of course being awake to take
these stunning photos.😮

Think we have mostly seen the purple, blue, and white
lightning on this end. Can’t recall seeing that yellow you
got a shot of ! Holy cow !!!

I know you have taken a ton of awesome lightning pics
Will. But this had to be so neat seeing this like this. Oh,
and by the way, love how you are saying it’s easy to take
pictures of lightning. Can’t even imagine trying sir. 😄

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We got off pretty easy with Sunday mornings storms. Yesterday's, not so lucky... This is my current view looking north at 10 pm this evening. I'm thinking the fires will stay to the north and east of me, but fires are strange and can go in random directions in short order. Currently its dead calm here, and the temperatures have fallen from 102 to 79. The normal winds here are from the south and west, so it should push the fire away from me. I hope.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Wow, The title for that picture could be "Doom On The Horizon"...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We got off pretty easy with Sunday mornings storms. Yesterday's, not so lucky... This is my current view looking north at 10 pm this evening. I'm thinking the fires will stay to the north and east of me, but fires are strange and can go in random directions in short order. Currently its dead calm here, and the temperatures have fallen from 102 to 79. The normal winds here are from the south and west, so it should push the fire away from me. I hope.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was looking east over Silverado Country Club last night before I went to bed. The fire stayed to the east of me, burning toward Fairfield and Vacaville.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I shot these with a Nikon D850, and either a Tokina 16-28 F2.8 or Nikon 35-70 F2.8D lens. (I really like the 35-70, its phenomenally sharp even though its over 20 years old. There was a reason it was Nikons best zoom lens back in the day.) The Tokina is nice as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
Will, one second we were in awe of the extraordinary pictures of that
lightning, and now things seem to be getting really scary with the fires.
Is the fire still staying east of you, and at least semi far away?

Was watching a story on Accuweather where they were reporting
on the Hennessey Fire, and it threatening certain areas there, as
well as one of Napa Valley's oldest wineries, or family owned I mean,
in the Nichelini Family Winery. Am just hoping they get it under control.
All of the sudden, this went from seeing cool lightning, to being really
upsetting, and worrisome.

Please let us know if everything is o.k.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Will, one second we were in awe of the extraordinary pictures of that
lightning, and now things seem to be getting really scary with the fires.
Is the fire still staying east of you, and at least semi far away?

Was watching a story on Accuweather where they were reporting
on the Hennessey Fire, and it threatening certain areas there, as
well as one of Napa Valley's oldest wineries, or family owned I mean,
in the Nichelini Family Winery. Am just hoping they get it under control.
All of the sudden, this went from seeing cool lightning, to being really
upsetting, and worrisome.

Please let us know if everything is o.k.
Did somebody say Accu........ 🤓 lol

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
Did somebody say Accu........ 🤓 lol
I couldn't believe when I saw the story honestly Steve. 😧
At the time, we were just enjoying the pictures, but now
am stunned, and feeling worried that these fires are now
happening, and seem out of control. Really hope things
settle down, or they get some rain without the lightning.

Hope things are alright Will. Keep us updated if you can.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think I've technically been evacuated, but I'm at work, so I'm not really sure. That said, the wind is virtually calm, and the very light breeze where I'm at is out of the west (as it always is) and should push the fire away from my house. At this point I'm just playing it by ear, keeping a watch on the flight radar tracker ( tar1090 ) to see where the air tankers are working, and taking it as it comes. That is about all I can do at this point.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts