Watch Freeks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hamilton Jazzmaster Cushion with a 7750 that has been running minus 45 seconds per day for the last three to four months (as per the timegrapher and obvious when wearing it). I haven't worn it for approximately two weeks, and it was almost exact when I took it out of the watch winder. The timegrapher measured it at minus 1 second (which I seriously doubt, but I'm sure it is within 5 seconds).

I have two questions:

1. How is it possible for a watch movement to correct itself without servicing?

2. Should I have it serviced anyway?

·
11,577 Posts
Watches that are on the verge of needing a service sometimes run erratically. Yours sounds like it very well may be "on the verge". How long has it been since its last tune up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts

It might not be fixed. There might be a certain angle or position that you slows it down as you wear it. If you have been wearing similar watch as your day to day that has been keeping accurate time then slowing down then its not the environment (ie magnetic fields) changing it but something probably internal is loose.

Yes. If its something loose or wearing it might break away and cause more problems.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Watches that are on the verge of needing a service sometimes run erratically. Yours sounds like it very well may be "on the verge". How long has it been since its last tune up?

What four said. Anyway a service wont hurt.

How old is the watch? Do you wear it often? Anything happen to it in the time right before the issue presented itself -- like did it drop on the floor? Get near a magnet? Keep in mind that some tablets have powerful magnets on the bottom so as to accept a keyboard.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

It's only a couple of years old and I've never had a problem with it before, so it's never had a tune up.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

It might not be fixed. There might be a certain angle or position that you slows it down as you wear it. If you have been wearing similar watch as your day to day that has been keeping accurate time then slowing down then its not the environment (ie magnetic fields) changing it but something probably internal is loose.

Yes. If its something loose or wearing it might break away and cause more problems.
Thanks for the information.

·
Super Moderator
3,884 Posts
Service intervals normally dictate when a service is due.

However, as Jeff alluded to above, it is possible for them to correct themselves to a certain extent. I have tried this method and found that in some instances it does work:

i. If your watch is running a little slow : lay it flat down with the dial facing up.
ii. If your watch is running a little fast : lay the watch vertically with the crown facing downwards.
iii. If your watch is running much too fast: lay the watch vertically with the crown facing up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts