Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And with that I mean watches that I own. I could do a Top-3 watches of those that I would like to own but those are way, way out of my budget. Think of a fully restored Rolex 'Bond' Big Crown. Or a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Milspec 1 like it came just out of the workshop.

At number one is the Alsta Nautoscaph Superautomatic. I wanted one as soon as I saw one. It ticks all the boxes for me. 70s, re-edition, quirky design, funky bracelet and well, it's a dive watch. I wear it often, it's comfortable, accurate and almost identical to the first edition. The 'Jaws Watch'.

At number two we have the Helson Sharkmaster 600. The mix 'n' match Omega Seamaster 600 Ploprof homage. I like it because it's different. It's not your cookie cutter Sub clone. It's a watch that I've been searching after for many years. The first batch was sold out before I found it and the second batch only offered white dial/bezel versions with the black version sold out again. But all of a sudden one appeared on eBay and I bought it in an instant. Although it looks huge, it wears very comfortable and the size is exaggerated by the width. I was lucky to already have a 'seatbelt buckle' clasp available and that really tops it off. Great watch and very well finished.

And last but not least the Hamilton PSR. Another re-edition and the first LED watch that became commercially available (at over Rolex prices at the time). It sports both a regular LCD display which is visible in ambient light and a dot-matrix display when that light is absent.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
And with that I mean watches that I own. I could do a Top-3 watches of those that I would like to own but those are way, way out of my budget. Think of a fully restored Rolex 'Bond' Big Crown. Or a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Milspec 1 like it came just out of the workshop.

At number one is the Alsta Nautoscaph Superautomatic. I wanted one as soon as I saw one. It ticks all the boxes for me. 70s, re-edition, quirky design, funky bracelet and well, it's a dive watch. I wear it often, it's comfortable, accurate and almost identical to the first edition. The 'Jaws Watch'.

At number two we have the Helson Sharkmaster 600. The mix 'n' match Omega Seamaster 600 Ploprof homage. I like it because it's different. It's not your cookie cutter Sub clone. It's a watch that I've been searching after for many years. The first batch was sold out before I found it and the second batch only offered white dial/bezel versions with the black version sold out again. But all of a sudden one appeared on eBay and I bought it in an instant. Although it looks huge, it wears very comfortable and the size is exaggerated by the width. I was lucky to already have a 'seatbelt buckle' clasp available and that really tops it off. Great watch and very well finished.

And last but not least the Hamilton PSR. Another re-edition and the first LED watch that became commercially available (at over Rolex prices at the time). It sports both a regular LCD display which is visible in ambient light and a dot-matrix display when that light is absent.
Nice! How about some pictures of these beauties Frans?

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures? ;)

Reactions: rh747m

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Reactions: GoodWatch

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic watches!! The Alsta is my favorite. Is that bracelet on the Alsta comfortable?
Yes it is very comfortable but it took some time to get the adjustment right. The original was a Speidel Mach 1 'Twist-O-Flex' bracelet which now go for silly money on the 'Bay. Think close to 25% of the purchase price of the watch itself. (Go away little voice in my head :)). I have another extensive collection and that is of vintage range finder cameras and clockwork film cameras (Bolex) and a plethora of accessories to go with them. There's a strong connection between watches like the Alsta and those cameras.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But not just range finders. Below you see an Olympus Pen, an Olympus OM-10 (fully loaded and the first camera I bought in 1979 but this one I picked up some years ago for 35 Euro) and the most stunning SLR ever made (to me), a Nikon F Photomic. (Red Dot). Also bought very cheap on eBay years ago. Now prices have exploded (yeah man, very vintage and retro......).

Reactions: Roarry and rh747m

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Nice diversity Frans... I like 'em all (vintage cameras too) but the Alsta really has me tempted. I just don't know if I could handle the bracelet or not, and then what... tropic?

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice diversity Frans... I like 'em all (vintage cameras too) but the Alsta really has me tempted. I just don't know if I could handle the bracelet or not, and then what... tropic?
You can handle the bracelet. I'm a strap man myself (well, that came out odd) but I make exceptions. Here you go:

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ignoring your fetishes, :D it looks at home on that too. I get it though, that bracelet is funky and kinda sets the old-school '70s tone.
Still nice huh? I'm too lazy now to do the research but I bet the original watch didn't come on that Speidel bracelet and was assembled as such for the movie. Like that Sub on the painfully too narrow NATO strap on Commander James B's wrist.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
But not just range finders. Below you see an Olympus Pen, an Olympus OM-10 (fully loaded and the first camera I bought in 1979 but this one I picked up some years ago for 35 Euro) and the most stunning SLR ever made (to me), a Nikon F Photomic. (Red Dot). Also bought very cheap on eBay years ago. Now prices have exploded (yeah man, very vintage and retro......).

Nice collection. I still have the Pentax K1000 I bought back in the 80's. I had so much fun taking pictures with that camera back in the day.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You can handle the bracelet. I'm a strap man myself (well, that came out odd) but I make exceptions. Here you go:

Now that looks awesome!!!

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nice collection. I still have the Pentax K1000 I bought back in the 80's. I had so much fun taking pictures with that camera back in the day.
This is just a tiny part of the total collection. Most of it is boxed up as I'm redecorating my living room which seems to take ages (no spare time). The second camera I bought was a Canon A1 with a motor drive, four lenzes and a Metz Mecablitz 35c flash gun. That camera I will buy again someday. I sold all of that in 1980. First camera with a display (LED) visible in the finder. Incredible build quality but all of this is history now.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Deleted

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This is just a tiny part of the total collection. Most of it is boxed up as I'm redecorating my living room which seems to take ages (no spare time). The second camera I bought was a Canon A1 with a motor drive, four lenzes and a Metz Mecablitz 35c flash gun. That camera I will buy again someday again. I sold all of that in 1980. First camera with a display (LED) visible in the finder. Incredible build quality but all of this is history now.
Must be an impressive collection.

On a different note, I was looking over your list of watches which is also impressive. Just out of curiosity, do you have a favorite dive watch in your collection?

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
That is some top three there Frans !!! 🏆🏆🏆Have to give you credit
too for actually being ale to rank them like this too. (y)😀😉 Seriously,
would have a tough time choosing the best among them honestly. Each
one is a highlight to a year, as well as a collection really. Making you, and
all of us to be honest, smile design wise, and just uniqueness wise. 🙂
Honestly love this whole re-edition, funky, quirky mode you are in, and
hope it continues !

Crazy cool watches Frans, AND cameras !! A COLOSSAL Christmas
thanks for showing them, and congratulations on having all of them !!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Number one is my Steinhart Vintage GMT. Very comfortable, incredibly accurate, and what a looker

Number two is my Glycine Airmant. Beautifully made, and the 24 hour clock means I have to look at longer to figure out the time. However, when a watch looks this good, who's complaining.

Number three is my Davosa Argonautic Lumis. I did have a love hate relationship with it, because there we several negatives. The bezel misaligned, but I sorted that myself, it wasn't very accurate, so I regulated it, now it runs like a quartz. The bracelet looked nice, but wasn't very comfortable, so I invested in a nice Engineers bracelet. I absolutely love the Tritium tubes, and I think this watch is a proper stunner.

All that said, as I type this a Borealis Cascais is making it's way to me, and it looks a little bit special. Watch this space

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Must be an impressive collection.

On a different note, I was looking over your list of watches which is also impressive. Just out of curiosity, do you have a favorite dive watch in your collection?
That’s not easy to answer. They all have qualities that make them stand out from the rest, be it diverse. I’m torn between at least five but let’s say for now the Helson Turtle.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
That’s not easy to answer. They all have qualities that make them stand out from the rest, be it diverse. I’m torn between at least five but let’s say for now the Helson Turtle.
Could you post a picture of it? I'd love to see it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts