Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And now that indulgence isn't a secret any more. In all those years I've been member of this fine forum I spoke little of Rolex. I've owned one, a 2000 series 16610. Volumes that can fill a library have written on Rolex and many consider the brand as overrated, over priced and their watches are mainly worn by non WIS wannabes. With sometimes more money than brains. Haute horlogerie they are not, ultra recognisable they are always.

Iconic is another label and whatever your thoughts on the brand are, they are among the most successful in the industry. With waiting lists despite the ca. 1,000,000 yearly output. But that is not my point. My point is that there are two watches that absolutely tickle my fancy because of their in your face ostentatiously, almost vulgar presence, that I would purchase in an instant if I hit that Dutch State Lottery jackpot, now 26 million Euro. A yellow gold President with white dial and a yellow gold Sub date with blue dial. And not from the recent range but before the 'rehaut' and square crown guard era. The proper models. There are those who prefer the bracelet the be lose in such a way the watch drops to the back of the hand but I'm not of that school :D So, I've spilled the beans and I await the next lottery drawing that takes place 10 August...

Reactions: enricosonic

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the August 10th lottery also cover a yacht and chest medallion? :D
No. But a Riva and a house on Ibiza. I still poses some class you know :D And you're welcome to stay there of course, I'll pay for the air fare.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're on Frans! Hopefully there'll be no travel ban against US citizens at that time. ;-)
I'll send over a private jet and grease some palms, no worries mate ;)

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spoken like a man who wears a yellow gold, blue-dialed sub!
Indeed! Champagne, oysters and caviare for lunch of course. Meagre but filling ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,882 Posts
Frans, can totally see why you like these two Rolex models so much !! 😯
Tell me if I am wrong here, but it's kind of similar to your appreciation
for "Land Yachts" right?! 😀With the whole in your face, bold, and just
plain fun thing. 🙂 There's also a 'I like this, or these, and don't care
what anyone else thinks vibe" too right?! 😄Well, I hope you do win
that lottery sir !

Oh, and by the way, whatever happened to the Rolex you had? You
said you 'owned' it, but don't still have it right? Or am I wrong? 😵

·
Registered
4,736 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Frans, can totally see why you like these two Rolex models so much !! 😯
Tell me if I am wrong here, but it's kind of similar to your appreciation
for "Land Yachts" right?! 😀With the whole in your face, bold, and just
plain fun thing. 🙂 There's also a 'I like this, or these, and don't care
what anyone else thinks vibe" too right?! 😄Well, I hope you do win
that lottery sir !

Oh, and by the way, whatever happened to the Rolex you had? You
said you 'owned' it, but don't still have it right? Or am I wrong? 😵
They are just over the top and belong to Nice or Monaco on the tanned wrist of a hand holding a glass of white wine :cool: . Many, many years ago our house was broken into during broad daylight and a lot was stolen, including all my (then) watches and a ring I bought for Anne but still had to be made smaller, our passports, set-top box, in fact all they could carry in a large sporting bag (according to a bored police detective that came by). I learned a hard and expensive lesson because the damage far exceeded the maximum insurance benefit on our policy. I never bought another one, had to take my losses. And now I have a different insurance policy with separate expanded clauses for jewellery, collections, electronics, etc. I have other plans with my money and although I buy a lot of watches, that pales into comparison with even a Sub non-date. It's either a very expensive watch or redecorating my living room. And I can't live inside a watch........

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like Frans said, I was going with the lifestyle he described. Maybe Frans is even the villain in the Bond scenario. With a base inside a hollowed-out volcano.
(Sinister and villainous hollow laughter...). Hardly. But I can even stomach that darn cyclops on the gold Sub. It adds to the overall picture ;)

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know my Rolexes. Did they ever make one without crown guards? Obviously I mean the gold/blue Sub.
No, they started out making Subs without crown guards and after Rolex added crown guards the gold Sub appeared. Gold for a dive watch is about as useful as ice cubes on the North Pole but there must be a market for them.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
No, they started out making Subs without crown guards and after Rolex added crown guards the gold Sub appeared. Gold for a dive watch is about as useful as ice cubes on the North Pole but there must be a market for them.

Well the added weight of the solid gold Sub means you have to put one less plate on your weight belt when diving, :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
9,882 Posts
They are just over the top and belong to Nice or Monaco on the tanned wrist of a hand holding a glass of white wine :cool: . Many, many years ago our house was broken into during broad daylight and a lot was stolen, including all my (then) watches and a ring I bought for Anne but still had to be made smaller, our passports, set-top box, in fact all they could carry in a large sporting bag (according to a bored police detective that came by). I learned a hard and expensive lesson because the damage far exceeded the maximum insurance benefit on our policy. I never bought another one, had to take my losses. And now I have a different insurance policy with separate expanded clauses for jewellery, collections, electronics, etc. I have other plans with my money and although I buy a lot of watches, that pales into comparison with even a Sub non-date. It's either a very expensive watch or redecorating my living room. And I can't live inside a watch........
Oh man Frans, didn't see that coming. So sorry that happened. 😔
I was just thinking that maybe you gave it away, or even sold it
possibly. But it sounds like so many years later that you have
a really fantastic attitude about what happened. Really making
a terrific lemonade out of those lemons you were given. 🙂😉
I mean it sounds like you still enjoy the hobby as much as ever,
but have a very balanced, and common sensical view of things
as well sir. (y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts