Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL;DR version: I've been leaning heavily toward a quartz/eco-drive purchase because I just don't feel like setting the date and time every day, and I don't want to always wear my g-shock in those times. Nor do I want to wear my "nicer" watches...

TL version:
So, I haven't obtained a new piece in quite a while. I just haven't found anything compelling enough to buy in my price range, and the few pieces I really want are out of my price range.

I have been feeling more of an itch lately, however, for something new. I have been really digging small second hands, older field watches, and pilot watches (more simple dials though). I've found myself looking through ebay at models fitting some of these descriptions. Nearly pulled the trigger on a beautiful vintage Hamilton and vintage Longines.

I didn't pull the trigger mostly due to the following:

I have really been wanting a grab-and-go analog watch. Just something a little stylish, yet simple, and that I won't worry a lot about in terms of keeping it pristine, but not abusing it either. For abuse I have g-shocks, and for more formal occasions I have options. Preferably, that watch would meet some of the starlings noted above.

When I've wanted this quick grab-and-go I've generally just put on my G-Shock Rangemen.

It's easy, it's always correct, and it's conformable. I've skipped over my Komandirskie (Vostok), my Alpha, and a couple others because I'd need to set the date and time on them because I don't keep them on a winder.

Even if I did, the time would surely be off, and the date too unless it happened to be a 31 day month last month.

In short, I think it is growing to be a pain in the arse to maintain these damn mechanicals some days. I just don’t want to be bothered, and yet I want to have a nice analog dial to look at. I’ll be damned, however, if I go down the smart watch route. No offense to those whom have them; they just are not my style. I have enough tech in my life already!

Ultimately, I guess where this has landed me is that I think I’m going to go with a quartz or Eco-Drive for my next purchase. I haven’t really wanted to pick up a quartz watch, but it just seems so much more practical. Maybe that’s just it, I’m looking for something practical to wear, and less of a “collectors” piece. That’s probably also why I’m looking at such affordable pricing…
Here are a few I have been considering.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I actually really like a good quartz field watch. I don't have to baby them quite so much. Also cheaper to repair/replace if I do hurt them. all four of those are good looking and sensible options. Not to muddy the water for you. I just wanted a straight quartz watch and not a solar or Eco drive. I love my Bertucci. Ti cased and 62 grams. Long lug to lug length for it's case size. Good luck with your search

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,701 Posts
Think a lot of people feel the same way Funk, and just want a
watch to be nice, and simple, and then keep accurate time at
the end of the day. :thumb: ..Literally every one of those watches
you are considering are perfect, and fit the bill of what you
want.

You have the style, reliability of quartz, and even the small
seconds with a couple of the models. :cool: Plus the Citizen is
an EcoDrive which is basically like an automatic in that you
never have to really set it, or fix it. ..It's the best of both
worlds really.

Has to be fun I bet looking for this next one sir. ..Hope you
really have fun, and enjoy the hunt !

Thanks a lot for this post, and telling, and showing us what
you are planning, and up to ! :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually really like a good quartz field watch. I don't have to baby them quite so much. Also cheaper to repair/replace if I do hurt them. all four of those are good looking and sensible options. Not to muddy the water for you. I just wanted a straight quartz watch and not a solar or Eco drive. I love my Bertucci. Ti cased and 62 grams. Long lug to lug length for it's case size. Good luck with your search

I've eyed a Bertucci's in the past. Kind of forgot about them. I do like the build quality I've felt holding them in the past. Good reminder!

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Excellent discussion topic! I have just three quartz watches in my collection: an original 70s LED watch, an 'homage' to the early LED watches by G. Gerlach and the quartz/mechanical hybrid Straton chronograph I bought last year. All of them with a justification to either keep or buy them.

My urge to keep clinging to mechanical watches is purely emotional. There's nothing rational about it for various reasons. We all know them. And I could write down bombastic lines about how mechanical watches have soul or pay tribute to the true art of watchmaking but that borders on just being a watch snob.

What it boils down to is that the watches I'm highly interested in bring all that I want. Micro brand dive watches of either original design or well executed homages to lesser known originals. They all come with modest mechanical automatic movements. And they bring a smile to my face. That's all.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered a Citizen Avion from Jomashop for $70. Price and style were just too good to pass up.

Wrist shot to come when it arrives. I think I'll be purchasing some more NATO's too.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
What model is the blue dial Citizen?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Whilst there is nothing at all wrong with quartz watches I really do enjoy setting up my watch for the day it is all part of the fun. If I can not be bothered to set one up one day which is very rare I will wear my Eco-Drive or keep the same one on.
If you wear a quartz you tell the time if you wear a mechanical you keep the time and that is the difference Iove.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
WFs:
Haven't got the faintest idea why I maintain 6 mechanicals?
Perhaps my allegiance to the mechanicals I started 65+ years
ago?
Most of my collection, save the digis, will need resetting on 1
March. Resetting them on a 28 day month keeps me off the street

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is my ultimate quartz watch. I use it in the sauna every day. It runs around plus one second a month.I love the Citizen you found. It has a no nonsense pilot vibe and fantastic price
I do like your Sinn!
Agreed on the "no nonsense pilot" too. That's what appealed to me... Well, that and only 70 bucks!

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
As I grow older my affinity for mechanicals is wearing off. I have 30 watches, just about an even spread between mechanicals and quartz/Solar/Eco-Drives.

While I still see the wonder of Mechanicals, the little tiny parts all amazingly keeping time inside a watch case, in practicality it's like comparing a Model T Ford to a Tesla in today's world.

I will surely keep my mechanicals.........and probably pick some up in the future, mostly affordable Seikos in all probability. But I will no longer drop heavy coin on picking one up, considering that the present time, the "Pride of My Fleet" is a Certified Chronometer Quartz!

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Registered
26 Posts
TL;DR version: I've been leaning heavily toward a quartz/eco-drive purchase because I just don't feel like setting the date and time every day, and I don't want to always wear my g-shock in those times. Nor do I want to wear my "nicer" watches...

TL version:
So, I haven't obtained a new piece in quite a while. I just haven't found anything compelling enough to buy in my price range, and the few pieces I really want are out of my price range.

I have been feeling more of an itch lately, however, for something new. I have been really digging small second hands, older field watches, and pilot watches (more simple dials though). I've found myself looking through ebay at models fitting some of these descriptions. Nearly pulled the trigger on a beautiful vintage Hamilton and vintage Longines.

I didn't pull the trigger mostly due to the following:

I have really been wanting a grab-and-go analog watch. Just something a little stylish, yet simple, and that I won't worry a lot about in terms of keeping it pristine, but not abusing it either. For abuse I have g-shocks, and for more formal occasions I have options. Preferably, that watch would meet some of the starlings noted above.

When I've wanted this quick grab-and-go I've generally just put on my G-Shock Rangemen.

It's easy, it's always correct, and it's conformable. I've skipped over my Komandirskie (Vostok), my Alpha, and a couple others because I'd need to set the date and time on them because I don't keep them on a winder.

Even if I did, the time would surely be off, and the date too unless it happened to be a 31 day month last month.

In short, I think it is growing to be a pain in the arse to maintain these damn mechanicals some days. I just don’t want to be bothered, and yet I want to have a nice analog dial to look at. I’ll be damned, however, if I go down the smart watch route. No offense to those whom have them; they just are not my style. I have enough tech in my life already!

Ultimately, I guess where this has landed me is that I think I’m going to go with a quartz or Eco-Drive for my next purchase. I haven’t really wanted to pick up a quartz watch, but it just seems so much more practical. Maybe that’s just it, I’m looking for something practical to wear, and less of a “collectors” piece. That’s probably also why I’m looking at such affordable pricing…
Here are a few I have been considering.

I've been wrestling with the quartz/mechanical for some time. I just can't see buying a watch that has to be set every week over a watch that pretty much never has to be reset (like my Bulova Precisionist at 10 seconds/year) for the sake of a so-called "horological elegance." Another thing that bothers me iss the ever popular Automatics. I just can't see the attraction of a watch that you have to work at keep it running, such as putting it in a watch winder, when the watch has to be reset every week anyway. Can't see it's advantage over, say, a manual wind, where you pick it up, wind it and set it.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I've been wrestling with the quartz/mechanical for some time. I just can't see buying a watch that has to be set every week over a watch that pretty much never has to be reset (like my Bulova Precisionist at 10 seconds/year) for the sake of a so-called "horological elegance." Another thing that bothers me iss the ever popular Automatics. I just can't see the attraction of a watch that you have to work at keep it running, such as putting it in a watch winder, when the watch has to be reset every week anyway. Can't see it's advantage over, say, a manual wind, where you pick it up, wind it and set it.
Point taken but it'll always be a case of diferent strokes for different freeks

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It came yesterday! Its quite comfortable. The second hand is a tad not off and so is the chapter ring. At $70, I'm not going to make a big deal of it. Most people won't notice anyway!
The strap is quite thick, a little harder to get on than others, and it is still comfortable. I think this will look right at home on NATO, I have one coming from ToxicNato.
So far, so good!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts