Watch Freeks banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A few weeks back I bought a brand new Seiko SKX diver to do a project and use some nice hands I had. I actually did that and put the watch on sale. At the same time however I found a Seiko SKX399 dial on sale, it was NOS and something that was missing from my collection.

I bought the dial and pulled the watch with the idea of installing the dial on it. I also had a set of hands that I could use for it and was all set. The dial arrived yesterday and that same evening I put all the parts together. The hands are from a Seiko SNZH55 so the watch is totally, 100% Seiko, including the bracelet.

The Seiko SKX399 is a watch model that was originally produced for a certain market, not for the US and there aren't many of these around even on the sales forums. It looks a bit like the SKX173 but the hour markers are chrome framed. Everything else as far as I know is the same so all parts fit pretty well together and the lume is virtually the same as well in color and luminosity.

Once the project was finished I also realized the resemblance with the Omega SMP, not that it is a copy, homage or anything, and I surely don't compare the two. But there is just a certain resemblance that I welcome because I like that kind of design. That I was able to get that without totally emptying my wallet was a welcome factor as well. I think that this could be a great affordable alternative to the more expensive one, sort of want this? Get that... it surely works for me.

Here are a few quick pics, sorry for the dust specs or lint in them:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Carlo, that looks great! I love everything about what you've done. Wish my SKX009 had those hands.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the kind words. You know, you could get those hands installed easily if you want to...

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Carlos:
You da man!!!!
Great presentation, especially the bracelet tambien.
Reloj mas bonita Sr. Te amo reloj hermano.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carlos:
You da man!!!!
Great presentation, especially the bracelet tambien.
Reloj mas bonita Sr. Te amo reloj hermano.

Lou Snutt

Thank you, that is an original Seiko bracelet and it does look good on the Seiko divers. :smile-thumb:

·
Registered
4,909 Posts

A few weeks back I bought a brand new Seiko SKX diver to do a project and use some nice hands I had. I actually did that and put the watch on sale. At the same time however I found a Seiko SKX399 dial on sale, it was NOS and something that was missing from my collection.

I bought the dial and pulled the watch with the idea of installing the dial on it. I also had a set of hands that I could use for it and was all set. The dial arrived yesterday and that same evening I put all the parts together. The hands are from a Seiko SNZH55 so the watch is totally, 100% Seiko, including the bracelet.

The Seiko SKX399 is a watch model that was originally produced for a certain market, not for the US and there aren't many of these around even on the sales forums. It looks a bit like the SKX173 but the hour markers are chrome framed. Everything else as far as I know is the same so all parts fit pretty well together and the lume is virtually the same as well in color and luminosity.

Once the project was finished I also realized the resemblance with the Omega SMP, not that it is a copy, homage or anything, and I surely don't compare the two. But there is just a certain resemblance that I welcome because I like that kind of design. That I was able to get that without totally emptying my wallet was a welcome factor as well. I think that this could be a great affordable alternative to the more expensive one, sort of want this? Get that... it surely works for me.

Here are a few quick pics, sorry for the dust specs or lint in them:

If Seiko marketed a watch setup like that, I would buy one tomorrow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts