Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This is my recipe for baked macaroni and cheese. if you love macaroni and cheese, you will love this recipe and it is very easy to make. There are many variants that can be done with this recipe, likecheesesteak mac and cheese, which is theexample in the pictures, add diced ham, stewed tomatoes, vegetables, or keep it plain and simple for a great side dish.

recipe as follows.

1 box of elbow macaroni orcellentani macaroni(which is a longer spiral noodle)

1 16 oz package of white sharp cheddar cheese, (can use regular cheddar cheese as well)

1 quart of 2% or whole milk.

1 cup flour

1 stick unsalted butter

2 egg yolks

1tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

italian seasoned breadcrumbs

salt and pepper to taste.

boil the box of macaroni in a large pot, always salted and with enough water to cover the pasta completely, usually an 8qt pot. do not add oil, oil clings to the pasta and the sauce will not cling to the pasta. boil for 8-10 minutes until al dente, do not overcook. drain well and put into large casserole dish.

in a seperate sauce pot, melt over low heat the stick of butter. once melted, add 1 cup of flour and wisk together. (this is known as making a roux, equal parts fat and flour.)

add milk , keep on medium heat wisking constantly for 1 minute, and then continue wisking every 30 seconds or so. you are making what is known as a bechamel sauce, which is a classic french cream sauce(or mother sauce as they are called).

once milk is starting to thicken, which should be about 3-5 minutes, turn off heat. you do not want it to be too thick........it should be like a thin custard consitency.......

add garlic powder , cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste.

take two egg yolks and beat them in a little bowl. you need to temper the egg yolks before adding them to the cream sauce. take a tablespoon and add 4 tablesoons of the cream sauce to the egg yolks, one at a time, beating with a fork in between. tempering is the process of bringing the eggs up to temperature of the cream sauce, so the eggs dont scramble when adding to the hot sauce. . once tempered wisk into the cream sauce and add a half of the bag of the cheese and wisk through until blended.

now pour the sauce over the macaroni and mix well. add the remaining cheese to cover the top of the macaroni and sprinkle about a handful of breadcrumbs on top.

bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, or until the cheese is bubbly and is starting to brown.

for the variation in the pictures below, cheeseteak mac and cheese, follow all steps above, but before adding the breadcrumbs, add, sauteed onions and cooked sliced chunked sirloin steak..(you can buy sliced sirloin steak for cheesteaks in the meat section of the grocery store) do not use frozen cheesteaks..........

i used only onions and chunked steak for the pics below, but you can add sauteed peppers and mushrooms if you wanted to as well. .

let sit for about 10 minutes out of oven and serve.

and as always, have some fun, and create your own versions of this mac and cheese if you want. with food, the possibilities are endless.

NOTE, IN THIS ONE I MADE TONITE I DID NOT USE BREADCRUMBS.......BECAUSE I FORGOT TO BUY THEM.........LOL.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

great..My son loves mac and cheese...it is his favorite going to try your version....

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
imported post

That looks fantastic !...I have a bizarre relationship with food, I give it "power" and look upon it like it's the enemy so, while I would never eat anything like that, I do enjoy looking at the photos & lusting over all that yummy butter & cheese...I suppose it could be compared to guys looking at a girly mag...Hahaha...I crack myself up, sorry, not totally awake yet.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

that sounds excellent and fantastic pictures!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

Sounds good!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

A variation of this would make tuna casserole. Follow the directions above making these alterations... Leave out the steak and the bread crumbs but the sauteed onions would be a good addition, you make the call here. When boiling you pasta, only boil for five minutes, it will cook further in the oven. Before adding the cheese sauce to the pasta, add one can of well drained tuna, a can of stems and pieces mushrooms (or 1 cup of fresh cubed) and one cup of frozen green peas. Lower you oven to 350 and then bake in an uncoveredcasserole dish sprayed with Pam for 45-60 minutes. When there is 15 minutes left, top your casserole with the remaining cheese and return to oven.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

I knew I should have never come here!! But no, a little curiosity and Bam...I'm staring at a pic of heavenly pasta, cheese, diced ham....crap! My wife put me on a diet about two months ago becuase I had gained a consistent 17 pounds since we got married (3 years now). And with the little one running around now I am only working out a few days a week versus the 5 days before we met.
Truth be told, it's not my fault! She is an awesome cook and it made her so happy when she watched me enjoy her cooking......so really, it's all her fault...yup.
Well, pretty much back down to my "fighting weight" and relearning my better eating habits that I had before we met.
Some fellas get in trouble for taking a peek at other women....I get in trouble for eye balling pizza!
Thanks for the pics Don, gonna get some Wheat Thins and a Diet Sprite...woo hoo!

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

theres nothing wrong with eating these types of foods........

its all in how much you eat.......moderation is the key.

you cant have this mac and cheese every week, and when you do, you shouldnt eat half of what you make either.......lol.

i will try and post up a different recipe for something else each week, maybe one a week, and i will also be throwing up some helpful hints and tips for cooking as well.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

tattoo chef wrote:
theres nothing wrong with eating these types of foods........

its all in how much you eat.......moderation is the key.

you cant have this mac and cheese every week, and when you do, you shouldnt eat half of what you make either.......lol.

i will try and post up a different recipe for something else each week, maybe one a week, and i will also be throwing up some helpful hints and tips for cooking as well.
Moderation??? Now you tell me! Actually never worried too much because I worked out so much, and I'm not THAT old...or so I think but man it catches up with you!
Either way, I printed out the recipe and look forward to more!!
CJ

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
imported post

Ahh, mac-n-cheese.

For a real treat, no matter what the recipe, add bits of bacon. Try it!

T.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
imported post

great recipe.

i cut down drastically on carbs and only use that low carb pasta [5 carbs per serving.] i dont know if i can mention the brand. but it tastes like the real thing.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
imported post

I suppose you could add browned and drained ground chuck in place of the stake-ums for a cheese burger mac.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

All I will add too this is this, my wife who graduated from Culinary Art School in 1987 states and I Quote " it has too look as good as it tastes" Well Don you need a new Camera brother cause that looks like a$$!!! LOL!!!

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
All I will add too this is this, my wife who graduated from Culinary Art School in 1987 states and I Quote " it has too look as good as it tastes" Well Don you need a new Camera brother cause that looks like a$$!!! LOL!!!
thanks Ron, i expected nothing less from you..........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts