Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My name is David, I'm brand new here at watchfreeks.com! :)
I'd like to share my hand-made watch project with you guys, and I'd love to hear your comments about it. :) The watch on the pictures was design and manufacture by me in my small workshop in Manchester, UK.
It is based on a Swiss made ETA-6498, but it has been mechanically modified by me to create a regulator system, I also customized the bridges on the movement to give it a custom appearance. The case measure 44mm (excluding crown) in diameter and 11.6mm in height.
The dial is hand made by me, as well as the hands, strap, buckle and the presentation box! This watch is still under development, so nothing is 100% yet. :) The last picture is the latest version of the watch, with hand-made minute and hour hands. Please take a look at the pictures, and let me know what you guys think. :)

Cheers,

David

Attachments

·
Banned
754 Posts
Welcome to Watchfreeks !

I really wish I could afford to learn how to do this, do an internship, whatever it takes, but can't. It's really magnificent to see what you've created and for me to imagine some of the stuff you did go get to this moment. I can only imagine cus I really have no clue about what it takes to get from an original 6498 to what we see now. Brings joy to my eyes to see this watch and the brief story on it.

Another reason why I have a couple Quartz pieces that I wear quite often and like a lot but I love my mechanicals. There's omething really special about being responsible to wind and calibrate every time before using.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Nikon

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Very nice work!! Welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
It's beautiful. I would say you have some serious skills.

Are you starting a business or is this a one off?

Is there a story behind the Polaris name?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Stewie, about the watch being a one off, well... currently it is yes. When I started to work on this project my plan was to design and manufacture a one off timepiece for myself, I didn't have any business plan in my head. Now that it’s about 90% complete and a couple of people seems to like it, of course it would be amazing to manufacture a couple of more and sell them :), but to be honest I'm not really sure how could I carry that out?!

About the name, well… I didn't want to use my own name on the watch, I think it would be too “flashy” to put my name on it :) so instead I wanted to find a cool sounding name that somehow could represent “uniqueness” (since only one of this timepiece exists I figured it is unique enough :), so I choose the name Polaris (commonly known as the North Star).

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great looking watch, especially bridge works. I guess you added two more gear, or replaced the hour hand gear position. Awesome movement work congrats.
What about the case? You made it yourself or used some existing one?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Congrats.

It is very cool whether it remains a single unique timepiece or you turn it into a business.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Stewie, about the watch being a one off, well... currently it is yes. When I started to work on this project my plan was to design and manufacture a one off timepiece for myself, I didn't have any business plan in my head. Now that it’s about 90% complete and a couple of people seems to like it, of course it would be amazing to manufacture a couple of more and sell them :), but to be honest I'm not really sure how could I carry that out?!

About the name, well… I didn't want to use my own name on the watch, I think it would be too “flashy” to put my name on it :) so instead I wanted to find a cool sounding name that somehow could represent “uniqueness” (since only one of this timepiece exists I figured it is unique enough :), so I choose the name Polaris (commonly known as the North Star).

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys,

HpointA, the case is an existing one that I bought online, since my “in-house” made case isn't ready yet.
About the movement, yes I drilled and milled the main plate, added two extra gears + I had to increase the thickness of the original hour wheel at the centre and the newly positioned hour wheel had to be shortened.
I also had to fabricate two stainless steel pins to hold the extra gears in position. I could have added extra jewels to the movement to make it an 18-19 jewel movement, but I think it is fine with the pins.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Wow! What a unique, cool dial and very attractive movement!

Keep up the great work, and please keep sharing your pics here!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,

This watch took me about 8 months to develop (still not 100% complete), partly because I'm studying at university, so I didn't have too much free time :) and partly because I had very little experience in watchmaking. I knew how to use CAD software, so I had most of my drawings ready before I started, but I didn't have any machinery to manufacture a watch. So, I purchased some tools and small milling machine, and I started to work on this watch in my free time. Actually... before I started to work on this one, I made a “simple” version without the regulator modification, and then I started to work on this one. So, both of them took me about 14 months to make. I’ll add a picture of the other version, so you guy can see how that turned out. That one is the same like the regulator, not 100% yet, especially the hands... needs polishing. :)

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
I love the way it looks. Lots of details but still very simple and quite elegant. Excellent job, sir. :smileyface_hand_cla

·
Registered
4 Posts
David both watches are very good looking. I like the clean modern look of the dials. How did you get started? Are there any books or sites you would recommend for someone who wants to learn?

Hamlet

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments, I'm really glad you guys like the watches. Relfex, I'm glad you dig the box :) I’ll upload some other pictures of it, so you can see it from different angles.

Hamlet, I used a lot of websites to understand the various aspect of watchmaking and also fundamental staff like drilling, milling and lathe work. As I mentioned earlier I didn't have any knowledge about watchmaking when I started, also I never used a lathe or mill before, so I had to learn everything from scratch. Beside the websites I also used George Daniel’s Watchmaking book. It’s a fantastic book that teaches you how manufacture just about every component of a watch. (It is more useful when you are a bit more advanced in watchmaking though)

I’ll add a couple of websites I use:

http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/6497/6947.html (assembly - disassembly of ETA-6497 movement)
https://www.youtube.com/user/jewldood/videos (watch repair videos)
http://watchmaking.weebly.com/casemaking.html (brilliant site with tons of info)
http://people.timezone.com/library/horologium (watch parts explanation)
http://web.ticino.com/dcorson/watch/ (Donald W. Corson watchmaking)

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Quite simply outstanding.

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81 using Tapatalk.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts