Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must admit I specifically bought this watch with the intention of modifying it. It now has a different bezel (matte black PVD SS), a new bezel insert (ceramic), a new crystal (double domed sapphire with clear AR) and a new chapter ring (metal instead of plastic :)). It also has a new seconds hand, strap and I mixed up my own orange lume to paint the ends of the hands.

:).

·
Super Moderator
15,152 Posts
Yes, holy cowza, what a fantastic job YNWaN ! 😀

What amazing is how perfect everything turned out with
this beauty. 😮(y) Every single thing you changed looks
great, and makes the watch better than it was in stock
form actually. Not only is it sportier now, but it’s just plain
cooler now. 😎

Outstanding job ! ..Oh, and yes welcome to WF btw !!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks chaps, very much appreciated. I enjoyed the process so much I’m inclined to do some more and hence my joining of this forum. I’m thinking of doing either a bronze or titanium case next.

My usual ’hobby’ interest is in hi-fi and compared to that watches not dissimilar In many ways.

The fancy background in my pics (snapped with my phone) is just the lid of my laptop :).

·
Super Moderator
15,152 Posts
Whoa, bravo YNWaN ! o_O(y)(y) A GIANT congrats
on how this turned out !!!

Built from scratch with a dial that looks like the
coolest aqua ocean waters you will ever see. 🌊
Holy cow, that is sensational, and must be just
hypnotic there in person ! ..Between the color,
those skeletonized hands, and nuclear lume, it
is just breathtaking.

Oh yeah, and the case/bezel color is the topper
because it brings in a real nautical feel. ⛵With
the classy strap being the icing on the cake !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Whoa, bravo YNWaN ! o_O(y)(y) A GIANT congrats
on how this turned out !!!
Thank you so much AT, I’m really pleased you ’get it’ :). When I first started thinking about the build I knew I wanted to do a bronze divers watch, and whilst I wanted it to have a patina I didn’t want it to look too dark. I wanted a retro divers look but with a slightly romanticised, Hollywood, quality. I figured a pale blue dial would look good and set about searching for what I had in my minds eye. Eventually I found just what I wanted (I already knew I didn’t want any day or date complications, so as to support the retro feel) on AliExpress of all places. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be really nicely made and have very strong blue lume! Although it was my hope I was surprised how well the dial, hands, chapter ring and crystal combined. When you look at it in real life the refraction of the crystal and the reflections from the polished blue chapter ring give a remarkable depth as if you are looking into a sparkling clear pool, with the hands and raised markers floating in it. As you say the lume is really strong too. I actually painted in the lume dot on the bezel myself using a kit from eBay. Again, as with the dial, I was really surprised how strongly it shone as I wasn‘t expecting a great deal!

I also painted the blue of the bezel (three times before I got just what I wanted), aged the case and designed the back - I wanted a slightly Lovecraft quality to it and also incorporated my logo. A local chap engraved it with his fibre laser. Finally a great bloke I found on Etsy completely custom made the strap to my rather specific demands! The parts are from a whole bunch of different sources.

·
Super Moderator
15,152 Posts
Thank you so much AT, I’m really pleased you ’get it’ :). When I first started thinking about the build I knew I wanted to do a bronze divers watch, and whilst I wanted it to have a patina I didn’t want it to look too dark. I wanted a retro divers look but with a slightly romanticised, Hollywood, quality. I figured a pale blue dial would look good and set about searching for what I had in my minds eye. Eventually I found just what I wanted (I already knew I didn’t want any day or date complications, so as to support the retro feel) on AliExpress of all places. Imagine my surprised when it turned out to be really nicely made and have very strong blue lume! Although it was my hope I was surprised how well the dial, hands, chapter ring and crystal combined. When you look at it in real life the refraction of the crystal and the reflections from the polished blue chapter ring give a remarkable depth as if you are looking into a sparkling clear pool, with the hands and raised markers floating in it. As you say the lume is really strong too. I actually painted in the lume dot on the bezel myself using a kit from eBay. Again, as with the dial, I was really surprised how strongly it shone as I wasn‘t expecting a great deal!
😀(y)(y) All the thanks goes to you actually for taking the
time to show us this marvel YNWaN ! 😉

What’s amazing is how you just really started doing this, and
you are doing such an unbelievable job like this. 😎😮 Just
to have a plan is impressive, but then to make what you are
dreaming of a reality is THE best !

Wow, and that painting in your lume accents is extraordinary
too to tell the truth ! As is the fact that you came up with that
case-back, and somehow aged the case, and have your very
own logo as well ! o_O You’re like part watchmaker, and part
MacGyver !! 🥇🥇

A HUMONGOUS congrats once again !!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Now, now, my blushes ;).

To be fair, I haven’t just ’picked it all up’. Although the watch bit is new to me I have done a lot of fiddly construction work in the past - and also a lot of CAD and graphic design. I am finding this all very rewarding and would like to customise more parts and even start making them from scratch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What don’t you like about them? To be fair I would say the black Seiko I did is a mod because it is an alteration to an existing watch. The case, movement, hands (mostly), dial and crown are all original. The second, bronze divers watch, well I’m not sure that is a mod as none of the parts came from an existing watch. In fact, other than the movement, every part is aftermarket (the winding stem might be real Seiko too).

·
Super Moderator
15,152 Posts
Now, now, my blushes ;).

To be fair, I haven’t just ’picked it all up’. Although the watch bit is new to me I have done a lot of fiddly construction work in the past - and also a lot of CAD and graphic design. I am finding this all very rewarding and would like to customise more parts and even start making them from scratch.

View attachment 136918
Well your other experience has definitely worked wonders
with your watchmaking, and modding abilities that’s for
sure. (y)(y) The way everything seems to come so easily
to you is just incredible to see honestly.

Man oh man, just look at that beauty YNWaN !!! o_O

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think my greatest skill is that I’ve learned that when I get frustrated to stop and have a rest from it. Good light and some magnification are also major advantages ;).

·
172 Posts
Nice work! Agree with AT about the brass and nautical theme. Tried to buy a micro brand brass diver from a member recently but someone else was quicker on the draw. Congrats on making a couple of striking one-offs.

·
Super Moderator
15,152 Posts
Alright that is too cool right there YNWaN ! :Do_O

Boy oh boy, it seems like everything you touch seems
to turn to gold, and everything you do works honestly. 😲
Because the first watch was pure magic, and now this
one is taking our breath away. It’s awesome ! 😎 And
I swear this watch seems to be morphing into multiple
watches too by the way. 😯

Seriously, the magic act being performed by this epic
dial, and crystal is terrific ! ..The whole watch rocks !

Phenomenal work once again !!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks so much AT :). I’m afraid not all my builds have gone smoothly. This one took months to pull together. Largely because of the need to hide the movement spacer.
Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Watch accessory

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And finally, this is my latest build. I finished it yesterday by adding a matte black deployment clasp to the silicone strap. More in the style of B&R than my last in that it’s intended to have a vintage aeronautical feel with is slightly busy, but functional, aesthetic. I wasn’t happy with the lume of the chapter ring so redid it myself. The bezel is from an SRPD Seiko (from the first Seiko I modified) and I’ve modified the click spring so it is now has 60 clicks and is bidirectional (instead of 120 clicks and unidirectional). The standard crown has been replaced with a larger one and I might relume the hands so that the lume on them is stronger. What I particularly like is the way the hour hand reaches exactly to the hour indexes and how the minute hand just reaches to the chapter ring… oh the seconds hand is from another set altogether 😉.

Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Watch accessory
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist
Watch Analog watch Clock Measuring instrument Font
Watch Analog watch Green Clock Watch accessory

1 - 20 of 33 Posts