Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I’m 18 and I want my first luxury watch ... my price range is ... 1500$ and I’ve thought of the longines hydroconquest ceramic bezel which is like 1600$ but will be lesser after discount!
Can someone tell me if it’s a good choice and if possible can someone give a better suggestion:
Criteria: it’s should be under... 1500$ and should be mechanical!
And it should be from a great brand !
Please help me !
And this a watch that I’ll remember all my life as it’s my 18th birthday gift and something I’ll get on getting a good med college! So please give me your best thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Other people's opinions are just that, other people's opinions. You really should be making your watch purchasing decision based on your own thoughts and feelings towards the watch you like. Does it make your heart miss a beat?

If you personally like the Longines, by all means go for it. But, I recommend you do your research. In that segment of the market you can find a ton of different brands. Just take a look on Jomashop.com

If you can stretch to the used market, you could even get a higher-end brand, but there can be severe drawbacks to going used (these can include scams, fakes, franken watches, watches in need of an expensive service et). A good place to looks is Chrono24.com.

If you can, go to a watch dealer that has the watches you are interested in, and try them on. See how they fit on your wrist, if they are too big on your wrist.

Take someone with you who is into watches (if possible). Note down the brands and names, then go home and do your research on the watches, how their reputation is, the quality, the movement and the resale value etc (this last one may be important in case you want to flip it later).

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Hey! I’m 18 and I want my first luxury watch ... my price range is ... 1500$ and I’ve thought of the longines hydroconquest ceramic bezel which is like 1600$ but will be lesser after discount!
Can someone tell me if it’s a good choice and if possible can someone give a better suggestion:
Please help me !
And this a watch that I’ll remember all my life as it’s my 18th birthday gift and something I’ll get on getting a good med college! So please give me your best thoughts

That's a nice watch to start your life's journey with, wear it in health!

·
Registered
264 Posts
It's quite a difficult range, and have always struggled to determine exactly what a luxury brand is. The Longines Hydro Conquest is indeed a lovely watch, and I wouldn't attempt to put you off of it at all. I would also look at Christopher Ward, as the quality is most certainly comparable, but the brand name may not have the kudos you are after

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's quite a difficult range, and have always struggled to determine exactly what a luxury brand is. The Longines Hydro Conquest is indeed a lovely watch, and I wouldn't attempt to put you off of it at all. I would also look at Christopher Ward, as the quality is most certainly comparable, but the brand name may not have the kudos you are after
Thank you ! I’ve seen Christopher ward and I love it too the only prob is that it’s not sold here ... the place I live in ... thanks again !

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Other people's opinions are just that, other people's opinions. You really should be making your watch purchasing decision based on your own thoughts and feelings towards the watch you like. Does it make your heart miss a beat?

If you personally like the Longines, by all means go for it. But, I recommend you do your research. In that segment of the market you can find a ton of different brands. Just take a look on Jomashop.com

If you can stretch to the used market, you could even get a higher-end brand, but there can be severe drawbacks to going used (these can include scams, fakes, franken watches, watches in need of an expensive service et). A good place to looks is Chrono24.com.

If you can, go to a watch dealer that has the watches you are interested in, and try them on. See how they fit on your wrist, if they are too big on your wrist.

Take someone with you who is into watches (if possible). Note down the brands and names, then go home and do your research on the watches, how their reputation is, the quality, the movement and the resale value etc (this last one may be important in case you want to flip it later).
Yeah that’s a great reply tbh ... I love the longines ... I’ve never owned any watch of this range ... so this is special for me ... I’ve researched for like 2 months and came to this watch ... so am just knowing it from good watch collectors as I’m new ... thank you sir for helping !
also I’m not into jomashop and like to get it from the authorised dealer ... I’ll go to them and try on this piece when thingsr betterhere wrt covid ... thanks again !

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Next Logines you should put in the stable is this beauty, the Legend Diver/

LLD2 by Charles Ford, on Flickr

Reactions: FBPB and Arka

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next Logines you should put in the stable is this beauty, the Legend Diver/

LLD2 by Charles Ford, on Flickr
Yessss even I think the same ... the legend diver is a beauty I’d buy that but now it’s a little over my budget ... being a student little tight on budget and will consider this piece when I collect enough money for it for the next few years ... was planning to aim for the Rolex Submariner or Omega Seamaster :) as my next watch ... let’s see !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Please help me !

I been into watches since the 90's and I was looking at the Hydroconquest myself. At $1500 you do have a lot of choices around that price for a new and even broader range for a pre owned. First what kind of what do you want and for what purpose, Will you be swimming with the watch, snorkling, dress watch, will you wwar it when you go hiking. I think in all these situations even in the office you can get away with the Hydroconquest. There is quite a lot of watch brands that play in this price range Oris, Maurice Lacroix, Sinn, Stowa, you may even find a pre owned Omega

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I been into watches since the 90's and I was looking at the Hydroconquest myself. At $1500 you do have a lot of choices around that price for a new and even broader range for a pre owned. First what kind of what do you want and for what purpose, Will you be swimming with the watch, snorkling, dress watch, will you wwar it when you go hiking. I think in all these situations even in the office you can get away with the Hydroconquest. There is quite a lot of watch brands that play in this price range Oris, Maurice Lacroix, Sinn, Stowa, you may even find a pre owned Omega
That’s great that you’re very experienced and a seasoned collector! Yeah at this range I can get decent pieces ... I checked the Oris ... it’s great but the my choice was something that was above the range something like 1750$ I guess ... Maurice Lacroix is also great but From a horological view longines wins imo but they r great too

Sinn is cool but I can’t find any authorised retailers here where I live
I love the omega watches but I want only watches from authorised dealers and not pre owner cuz I’ll want it to last a lifetime :)
Coming to the use ... well I don’t want to restrict usage so I’ll want something that goes with everything and is kind of versatile
Never had a diver so thought this was the best diver I can get ...
I also love the Maurice Lacroix watches they look great ... will wear that to check it out at the Authorised dealer :) thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also with due respect ... should I be looking into the hydroconquest with the metal bracelet or the rubber strap ? Or buy with the bracelet and buy the rubber strap separately ? Is the bracelet quality good?

·
Super Moderator
9,886 Posts
Really don't want to send, or set you on a different course than what
you are on with Longines Arka. (y)(y) Honestly think you are on a
great track, and have some excellent taste ! 😉 It's just a matter of
what you like, and it's the same thing with whether your prefer a strap,
or bracelet. Plus either decision you make still allows you to pick up
an extra strap, or bracelet down the road. Nothing is set in stone.

Want to wish you good luck, all the best, and of course say....

Happy Birthday !!! 🎂🙂

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really don't want to send, or set you on a different course than what
you are on with Longines Arka. (y)(y) Honestly think you are on a
great track, and have some excellent taste ! 😉 It's just a matter of
what you like, and it's the same thing with whether your prefer a strap,
or bracelet. Plus either decision you make still allows you to pick up
an extra strap, or bracelet down the road. Nothing is set in stone.

Want to wish you good luck, all the best, and of course say....

Happy Birthday !!! 🎂🙂
Hey! Thank you so much for the wishes ! Yeah I like the hydroconquest... and love this reply from an experienced person as well! Being a fresh collector I respect longines very well cuz Of it’s great horologic history ... thanks again sir ... your response was very much appreciated :)

·
Super Moderator
9,886 Posts
Hey! Thank you so much for the wishes ! Yeah I like the hydroconquest... and love this reply from an experienced person as well! Being a fresh collector I respect longines very well cuz Of it’s great horologic history ... thanks again sir ... your response was very much appreciated :)
My pleasure Arka, and really hope you have an extraordinary 18th ! :D 😀
Honestly have never had a Longines, but have only ever heard great
things about the brand. Between their watches, and just their history
like you said, any ONE of their watches would make a phenomenal
present, along with memento. Thank YOU, and am wishing you a very
Happy Birthday once again too !!! 😉🙂

·
Registered
23 Posts
Also with due respect ... should I be looking into the hydroconquest with the metal bracelet or the rubber strap ? Or buy with the bracelet and buy the rubber strap separately ? Is the bracelet quality good?
I would go with the bracelet and then you can buy straps for it later. It is harder to replace a bracelet then a strap and there are so many strap variations available. I hope you enjoy your new watch I do not think you can go wrong with a hydroconquest, it is a nice watch that you can wear everywhere.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That’s great that you’re very experienced and a seasoned collector! Yeah at this range I can get decent pieces ... I checked the Oris ... it’s great but the my choice was something that was above the range something like 1750$ I guess ... Maurice Lacroix is also great but From a horological view longines wins imo but they r great too

Sinn is cool but I can’t find any authorised retailers here where I live
I love the omega watches but I want only watches from authorised dealers and not pre owner cuz I’ll want it to last a lifetime :)
Coming to the use ... well I don’t want to restrict usage so I’ll want something that goes with everything and is kind of versatile
Never had a diver so thought this was the best diver I can get ...
I also love the Maurice Lacroix watches they look great ... will wear that to check it out at the Authorised dealer :) thanks
You are correct Sinn and probably Stowa you would have to buy from an online watch source. Make sure when you go to a AD that you negotiate price, many will try to sell you at the msrp but it will never hurt to make an offer and let them counter. I never buy a watch for the asking price unless it is on a wait list. If the watch is readily available don't be afriad to ask for a 20 percent discount, do not settle for anything less then then 10 percent discount.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My pleasure Arka, and really hope you have an extraordinary 18th ! :D 😀
Honestly have never had a Longines, but have only ever heard great
things about the brand. Between their watches, and just their history
like you said, any ONE of their watches would make a phenomenal
present, along with memento. Thank YOU, and am wishing you a very
Happy Birthday once again too !!! 😉🙂
Yeah that’s great! :) :) thankssss

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would go with the bracelet and then you can buy straps for it later. It is harder to replace a bracelet then a strap and there are so many strap variations available. I hope you enjoy your new watch I do not think you can go wrong with a hydroconquest, it is a nice watch that you can wear everywhere.
Even i was thinking the same ... getting the default bracelet n then getting only the rubber strap sounds nice !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts