Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a teenager I lived close to a subsidiary of our city library that was technical oriented. Auto mobiles, electricity, trains, etc. They also had a wide section of magazines and a dozen of watch magazines. The period is ca. 1976 to 1985. It was housed in the same building as a theatre and and a school for fine mechanics (yes, watches).

Thumbing through those magazines I started to swoon over watches, the kind of watches you would never see in real life let alone own. Below are three I can remember and they all come with a quartz movement which, back at the time was either 'hip' or I didn't care about.

1, The Piaget Polo in 18K gold. 1979. A bit of a Miami Vice watch.

2, The Corum Admiral's Cup. 1976. At the time the most special and stunning watch I had ever seen in my life!

3. The Omega Chrono-Quartz. 1978. A beast of a watch that was worn by the sports director of one of the most successful cycling teams in The Netherlands, Peter Post.

Reactions: FBPB

·
Aspiring Expert
1,439 Posts
What's not to love about an all 18kt Gold Watch!

I haven't seen any of those watches before! AND honestly, I really like them all! 😁

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,395 Posts
You can still pick up Corum's and they are now fairly reasonably priced on Moms shop.

Reactions: GoodWatch

·
5,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can still pick up Corum's and they are now fairly reasonably priced on Moms shop.
Yep, I had a quick look. They hover 'round 900 bucks for the ones I found. And Corum have released a modernised version that comes with, wait for it, an automatic movement. I won't mention the price.

·
Super Moderator
11,856 Posts
It is so neat hearing about this Frans ! :D(y)(y)

Honestly can’t get enough of stories like these, and how
they give a window into your beginnings in the hobby. 🙂😉
Not only are you showing us time pieces, but you are
almost taking us along in a time machine to enjoy a
look at these lookers right?! o_O

It is fascinating just having you take us back into that
cool library with you. ..I can see us all side by side
reading those magazines, and drooling over the same
exact watches ! ..What’s so noticeable is the size of
watches years ago right?! ..Quite a bit smaller, yet
still just as amazing to me, or us.

The Omega though, wow, that is a big one huh?! And
almost Casio-like ! 😀 Yowza, what a joy to hear about
all of this. Thank YOU for sharing sir !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts