Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Mozilla has used a new rapid-release schedule since this spring. The schedule delivers a new version of Firefox every six weeks, a move many have compared to the pace Google has maintained for its Chrome browser for more than a year.

Firefox 5 shipped June 21, six weeks ago next Tuesday. Mozilla plans to deliver Firefox 7 on Sept. 27, and if the quick-release schedule holds, Firefox 8 on Nov. 8 and Firefox 9 on Dec. 20.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
97 Posts
imported post

While this is good news to many, it's potentially bad news for the extension developers... constantly having to update your firefox extensions to work with a new version will be a royal pain in the rear.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

wasmith wrote:
While this is good news to many, it's potentially bad news for the extension developers... constantly having to update your firefox extensions to work with a new version will be a royal pain in the rear.
I agree....every time FF updates I have to wait for Slingbox to update their extension. It is a PIA!

·
Registered
135 Posts
imported post

This is the thread with the closest subject I could find to my issue. If there is a different thread I should put this on, please let me know! :)

I've been using Firefox for years, and have been very pleased with its performance. I recently updated to the latest version, and updated my plug-ins.

But the past few weeks (after I updated my browser), my browsing experience has been getting slower and slower, until finally today, I gave up. After clearing cache and cookies, restarting several times (each time took 20 minutes) and then doing a boot scan (I'm using Avast free antivirus) which took an hour, I made the leap to Google Chrome. At the end of the boot scan, I wasn't watching at minute 59 (I think it was) when suddenly the scan was complete and the system automatically restarted. There were no viruses found.

But the point is, using Chrome now, all my erstwhile difficulties are suddenly over. And I don't know why. I could give a list of the problems that have disappeared if anyone wants to know. One of them has been that I couldn't log on to Watch Freeks because the browser was torturously glacial. It was like watching grass grow.

I'm wondering if Firefox is not able to operate well on older systems such as my Windows XP Professional? I know that Firefox no longer works on Windows ME (I curiously have such a system, too -- I use Explorer on that one). If XP is being phased out at Firefox, that might explain my problems. But I haven't seen anything posted on forums or on Firefox website regarding XP.

One clue is that Google and gmail seem to have been a problem on Firefox, because my gmail tab was always not working when I restored the previous session tabs upon restart. Also, I was getting frequent error messages that a script is not working on one tab or another, some of the time it was regarding the Gmail tab, but usually a different site and not Gmail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts