Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just installed Firefox 4. It is smoking fast. All but one of my 3.6 plug-ins installed and are running flawlessly. You can get the download for Firefox 4 here...

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/RC/?WT.mc_id=hp_1&WT.mc_ev=click

I just started my test drive but I like what I see so far. I will try to update this tread later when I have a few hours with the browser.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
imported post

I downloaded it too, but people need to remember it is the release candidate and not the final product. It's the last stage of development before it goes public, but there still could be bugs in it. It's the safest level of under development software, but keep that in mind, it's not the final product. You could run into things not working you depend and it's hard to say what those are. I have not found that to be the case but these kinds of things do happen with RC's.
One thing that failed to work for me is my Norton toolbar, which is part of Norton Internet Security 2011 and protects the browser from bad stuff like keyloggers, malware, etc. An update will come soon, but right now it does not function.

Oh I forgot, one thing I am a bit irritated with is they split the controls, on the left side you have your forward and back and print, and on the far end, they have the home icon. I hate that about Chrome, and Firefox follows and does the same thing. Why not keep the controls all together like they were?

·
Super Moderator
10,946 Posts
imported post

i'll give it a shot on my home machines but FF wreaks havoc with intranet sites i need to use here at work. funny thing is- IE is what comes on the std image and i still run into issues with some of the intranet sites. Chrome does them flawlessly but isn't a "supported" browser :whatever:

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

I am still thinking about updating to the new firefox when they release the final product but i just dont like how the controls are. Are you able to customize it and have the same controls on the top left of the page? If not i'm probably not going to update since i have no issues with the current firefox.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

WatchSnobJack wrote:
I am still thinking about updating to the new firefox when they release the final product but i just dont like how the controls are. Are you able to customize it and have the same controls on the top left of the page? If not i'm probably not going to update since i have no issues with the current firefox.
FF4 defaults to a bit different look, but with a few clicks the toolbars return to an almost identical look to 3.6. So far I have not had any issues on any sites. I went to all the sites that didn't work correctly for Chrome and FF4 was perfect.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I now have it installed on a Windows 7 laptop and an XP Pro desktop.

I like the Windows 7 presentation better, though they are very similar. I will load it on a Vista laptop over the weekend.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
imported post

Spaceview wrote:
WatchSnobJack wrote:
FF4 defaults to a bit different look, but with a few clicks the toolbars return to an almost identical look to 3.6. So far I have not had any issues on any sites. I went to all the sites that didn't work correctly for Chrome and FF4 was perfect.
Excellent. Thanks Marc. That was the only thing holding me back.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
imported post

After have Firefox 4 RC installed for a couple days I can say it IS NOT ready for prime time. I've had several incidents of it not responding and having to use task manager to shut it down. My mouse works in it, most of the time, and that seems to lead to the crashes. I'd recommend that everyone wait for the final version of this to come out to install. I'm unintalling and going back to 3.6 until Mozilla has a final product out.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Watchlizard wrote:
After have Firefox 4 RC installed for a couple days I can say it IS NOT ready for prime time. I've had several incidents of it not responding and having to use task manager to shut it down. My mouse works in it, most of the time, and that seems to lead to the crashes. I'd recommend that everyone wait for the final version of this to come out to install. I'm unintalling and going back to 3.6 until Mozilla has a final product out.
I've been using it for a few days as well on two separate machines with two different operating systems and have not had a single crash. I have no doubt that the RC version is still underdevelopment, but as long as it is working as well as it is for me I will stick with it.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
imported post

I'd only had one crash, for several days, but then had two just trying to reply to a post in here. Now running on 3.6.15 again. Really like the looks of 4, and it's faster. Can't say it's faster than IE8, or Google Chrome, probably a dead heat. Tried timing some things but internet latency always fogs those up.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

I guess I should check to see which version I'm running . . . LOL

I have no clue . . . I just update it when I get a new prompt to do so.

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

CurrentTime wrote:
I guess I should check to see which version I'm running . . . LOL

I have no clue . . . I just update it when I get a new prompt to do so.
Go to Help, About Mozilla Firefox, current stable release is 3.6.15.

Need an update follow steps above, select check for updates.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Firefox 4: New streamlined interface, 'app tabs'
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2011/03/firefox-4/1

The browser wars are about to heat up again. Microsoft's IE9 browser has been just lifted out of its beta testing phase. And now you can now download Mozilla's Firefox 4 "release candidate" software, the latest version of the popular "open source" Web browser.

When software arrives at this "release candidate" stage it too is about to emerge from its beta.

Firefox 4 has a fresh new streamlined interface that's meant to keep your focus on the content at hand. As a result some things have moved around. The Home button is all the way to the upper right side of the browser, to the right in fact of the search box. And you can create and pin "App Tabs" to the top of the browser representing those Web applications that you frequently call upon, perhaps for email, music or social networking destinations—the lines between browser and "native" apps that reside on your hard drive are blurring.

Among other highlights there's a panorama view for dragging and dropping tabs into manageable groups (say pulling all your music tabs together). You can also sync your Firefox history, bookmarks, add-ons, open tabs, and passwords across multiple computers and via the Firefox 4 beta, across Android smartphones and tablets and the Nokia N900.

Mozilla claims the new Firefox is 6 times faster than the previous release. Mozilla is also pushing a "Do Not Track" feature that tells the sites you visit that you want to "opt-out" of tracking used for advertising purposes. (It's still up to the sites to comply.)

And the new Firefox is fully embraces some of the latest Web technologies such "HTML5", along with technologies that tackle graphics, video and sound capabilities.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
imported post

I have been using it for a week and have had it freeze up a few times. I am running windows 7 on an intel I7 processor

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Mozilla has launched its highly anticipated Firefox 4 -- the latest version of its popular open-source Web browser sporting a new interface that aims to keep you focused on Web content.

As of 12:45 p.m. ET, it had been downloaded nearly 770,000 times.

You can create "App Tabs" for Web apps you use frequently and pin them to the browser -- say, for email, music or social networks. There is also a "panorama" view that lets you drag and drop tabs into groups. Mozilla says it can help you "save time while navigating many open tabs."

Mozilla is pushing a "do not track" feature that tells sites you visit that you want to "opt out" of tracking used for advertising purposes. (It's still up to the sites to comply.) Mozilla says the new Firefox is six times faster than the previous version.

Firefox 4 also embraces the latest Web technologies, such as HTML5, along with technologies that tackle graphics, video and sound capabilities.

This version of Firefox is competing head to head with the newly released Internet Explorer 9, Microsoft's newest Web browser, and with Google's Chrome, which was recently updated to version 10.

In a recent review, USA TODAY columnist Ed Baig notes that "Firefox 4 has a cleaner interface" but cautions that not all Firefox 4 changes are intuitive, including the panorama feature.

·
Banned
5,730 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align][align=left]I've been using the Beta for months, went with the stable release yesterday, only 1 issue, it looks for QuickTime which I don't (won't) use. I also run XP Pro or Linux Ubuntu.

By Todd Bishop
GeekWire[/align][align=left]
Maybe it’s time for Microsoft’s Internet Explorer team to reconsider that whole Windows XP thing?[/align][align=left]
Firefox 4 clocked about 5 million downloads on its first day and is fast approaching 7 million this morning, as the new browser from Mozilla attracts huge interest from around the world.[/align][align=left]
That doesn’t match the record-breaking performance of Firefox 3, but it trounces the 2.35 million downloads that Microsoft reported in the first 24 hours after the Internet Explorer 9 release. (Msnbc.com is a Microsoft-NBC Universal joint venture.)[/align][align=left]
But keep in mind that Microsoft is voluntarily limiting its market, not only by making Internet Explorer exclusive to Windows but also by declining to make the new browser work on Windows XP. Even though Windows XP is nearly 10 years old at this point, more than 40 percent of Internet users are still clinging to it, putting IE9 at a disadvantage in the numbers game by not supporting XP.[/align][align=left]
Firefox, in contrast, continues to support Windows XP. Mozilla knew coming in that it would have a built-in advantage, based on Microsoft’s choice to support only the newer Windows Vista and 7.[/align][align=left]
“That’s a decision that they get to make, but it sure did surprise us, because the best metrics that we’ve got say 40 to 50 percent of the web is still on XP. That’s too big for us to just leave them behind,” said Johnathan Nightingale, the Firefox engineering director, in a recent interview.[/align][align=left]
Why no IE9 on XP? Microsoft’s reasoning is that browsers “should require the modern graphics and security infrastructure that have come along since 2001.” The company says in a statement that “Internet Explorer 9 is intended to be run on a modern operating system in order to build on the latest hardware and operating system innovations.”[/align][align=left]
Of course, it’s also in Microsoft’s business interest to get people to buy a new Windows version.[/align][align=left]
The latest browser market-share stats, from just before the release of the new browsers, put Internet Explorer at 56.8 percent, down from 68 percent two years ago. Firefox has held relatively steady over that period, but the big gainer has been Google Chrome, which rose up from practically nothing to now boast nearly 11 percent of the worldwide market.[/align][align=left]
And Google this morning looked to build on that momentum, releasing a beta of its Chrome 11 browser with advanced speech-recognition capabilities and other new features.[/align][align=left]
And yes, for the record, Chrome 11 does work on Windows XP (and Macs).

[/align]

·
Registered
1 Posts
imported post

Firefox still continues to rock with Firefox 4. I agree that tab groups is not fully realized and I would stick with either Fast Dial or Fox Tab add ons. I have found that Fast Dial works much better for me, while Fox Tab seems to be a bit buggy.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 20 Posts