Watch Freeks banner

Moving old movement to a new case?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Priapism 
#1 ·
I recently picked up an older Gruen 731cd (1970's) and want to put the movement into a new case that I'll actually wear as I'm not fond of the original.

Are there any tricks or resources to find a new case, dial and hands that will all fit together as well as fit the movement. Things seem to be a bit of a gong show from what I've seen so far. I've been to Otto Frei and their listings didn't help matters much.

Also I'm looking for other sites that sell cases and dials. My searches so far have come up pretty thin

#2 ·
Well you either find a case in which the movement will fit perfectly (which might be a little tricky because the inside of the case and the edge of the movement might have different shapes) or you simply find a larger case and buy one of those plastic spacers to hold the movement in place. This again might be tricky a little bit.

As far as the dial itself, I believe the dial needs to be able to be attached to the movement. Movements will have special holes in which special feet (usually 2 or 3) on the back of the dial will fit into to keep it in place.

As far as the hands goes, I'm assuming it does not matter as long as the dial and movement fit in.

#3 ·
You can get double sided tape that is specific to putting a dial on a movement, FYI. Otto Frei has it I believe.

The hands, you need to determine the size of the stem for each hand (Hour, minute, second) as that is the biggest factor in making sure it will fit.

Radiomir addressed the case issues.

#4 ·
You need to consider where the case stem hole sits. When you place the movement in the new case, you would have height issues on the dial side and maybe the bottom, which can probably be solved with some sort of spacer. Also, you may need a new stem or stem extender if the case is bigger than the original.
Anythings possible, but you might have to fabricate some parts to get the right fit.

#5 ·
You guys have nailed all my issues. I need to find a dial that fits the movement and case that fits the dial. The case must also fit the movement in terms of the crown and body of the movement. If it doesn't I have to find a spacer that fits the case, the dial and the movement. A crown and stem then must be found to fit the case, spacer and position of the movement both horizontally because of the movement diatmeter and verticallly to account for the movements thickness.

Of course none of these things are cross referenced in anyway. So it all seems to be trial and error.

Does this one work.....nope
Does this one work.....nope
Does this one work if I cut a notch........nope

Any one want to buy a Gruen 731 auto?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.