Watch Freeks banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let’s throw a grenade out there.

Can we split Movado into vintage Movado and Movado, and throw the vintage ones into the luxury category...

Man how this brand has sold itself out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Luxury is a personal definition :) One man's beater is another's luxury.

It currently belongs to the same group as Ebel and MVMT.

Originally, Movado was like most Swiss watch makers, creating nice pieces, then the Quartz Crisis happened in the 1970s. They were purchased in the mid 1980s by an American company, and it went a bit off kilter, pushing mainly their Museum watch (which I personally do not like), even to this day.

It doesn't help that today they make a lot of what look like and are sold as expensive fashion watches. For example, a stainless chronograph with a quartz movements for +/- 1'300 is a lot considering what is on offer elsewhere for that price.

·
Super Moderator
13,766 Posts
Man oh man Andrew, and FB, wouldn't it be something if Movado
was like they were before the 80's? Just look at that looker Andrew !😮
You would think Movado would still make a version of that beauty
above, or have collections with the classic models, and designs
within them.

It's not that I don't like Movado now, but they are like a totally different
company like you are saying AJC. Would be cool if they actually still
made their older classics, and then could still have the modern models.
Would be a lot fun to see Andrew !😎 🙂

·
Super Moderator
1,197 Posts
Yes it would... but somehow I doubt it unless they change direction. They're asking a LOT of money for a quartz, when Tissot, Mido et al. are offering automatics at the same (if not a lower) price!

I looked them up a lunchtime, their/a main outlet in the US is Macy's? a large shopping/store in the US, if I am not mistaken? That doesn't really help their image.

We have tons of that sort of stuff here too, lower tier / fashion brand watches that are almost all quartz in larger/upscale shopping stores and tourist traps. It's kind of depressing really, to see a once mighty brand reduced to a "fashion brand".

·
Registered
668 Posts
I agree, today’s Movado veered very far from their vintage models. It would be nice if they could recapture their essence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Movado is a classic brand with possibly the most recognizable dial in the industry. I think that their affordable entry point has turned many people into avid watch collectors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts