Watch Freeks banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

ok this is gonna sound stupid -but my mose goes nuts every now and then and just self scrolls on internet pages - to the point i cant click or control anything

then it seems to settle down and everything is fine for a couple of weeks

having the problem NOW -really frustrating!!

how do i fix this - went to mouse controls but dont see an area for internet scrolling

i have an MS optical mouse
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,045 Posts
imported post

Could need new batteries, is the mouse pad reflective, is there something blocking the receiver, is the mouse old and possibly dirty? I took the top off and cleaned it thoroughly when mine was acting up. Have you tried unplugging the receiver....wait than plug it back in? That's all I got G..........

CJ
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,243 Posts
imported post



Give him some cheese.....
and he will calm down.
but my mose goes nuts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

its a WIRED Optical -plugged into the mouse port

batteries?? humm it is old (in new condition though) ??
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,243 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
its a WIRED Optical -plugged into the mouse port

batteries?? humm it is old (in new condition though) ??
You may need a new mouse driver. It is a bit complicated to update the driver. Have you ever done that?
 

·
Long Time Member
Joined
·
8,308 Posts
imported post

MS Optical?

Does it have the scroll wheel?

This could be going bad.

Do you use it a lot? (scroll wheel)

These mice (mouses) are pretty bullet proof. But anything can wear out.

There could also be dirt built up between the left and right buttons causing the scroll wheel to engage. (you know push it down into the scroll lock position)

Check it out, might need to be cleaned out.

This wheel is the only thing mechanical on this mouse so this would be my guess.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,243 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
yes i have
Try updating the driver. If you got a operating system upgrade it may have tweaked the mouse driver. It might be worth a try if you are not afraid to try. If the wizard reports no new driver available then you may need to look elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

yes and it seems to me that the scroll whell is the problem

i try not to use it as IT seems to recur whenever i do use it

i re-installed a driver -but need to re-boot (dont you just love MS!!!):madd

although it seems to have settled down some!!

toecutter wrote:
MS Optical?

Does it have the scroll wheel?

This could be going bad.

Do you use it a lot? (scroll wheel)

These mice (mouses) are pretty bullet proof. But anything can wear out.

There could also be dirt built up between the left and right buttons causing the scroll wheel to engage. (you know push it down into the scroll lock position)

Check it out, might need to be cleaned out.

This wheel is the only thing mechanical on this mouse so this would be my guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

thanks thats what happened the wizard said it wasnt finding one

i located the driver

i have not upgraded my OS -i use windows XP -but i have had all sorts of trouble with firefox!!!!!


Spaceview wrote:
WATCHURSELF wrote:
yes i have
Try updating the driver. If you got a operating system upgrade it may have tweaked the mouse driver. It might be worth a try if you are not afraid to try. If the wizard reports no new driver available then you may need to look elsewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

almost every kinda doc where scrolling is involved -net , pics , docs

i think TC is correct -it may be a driver issue or a dirt problem with the scroll wheel on the mouse

funny i re-installed the driver and i seem to be ok now

dedward wrote:
does this only happen when browsing on the net or does it happen when going into my documents and scrolling through files?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
imported post

The fact thet it is plugged into a "mouse port" suggests that the system if a few years old. the little relays get worn and dirty with use and unfortunately optical mise are really not worth the bother to try to open and clean. If the mouse is, say 3 years or older, I would suggest trying a different mouse (do you have one at work or a neighbors that you can borrow. If the works with out a glitch, time to invest in a new mouse.. you might even upgrade to a wireless asuming you have an open USB port. You cah get a good quality mouse, logitech, migrosoft, Taurus etc for $18 and above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

i have a wireless mouse & keyboard that my brother gave me BUT my desk area doesnt provide an area to put the receiver anywhere =so i have not used it

i'm a little old school that way

i think you may be right i may need to get a new mouse -need a new kb anyway as i thrashed mine pretty bad!! LOL




maui_freek wrote:
The fact thet it is plugged into a "mouse port" suggests that the system if a few years old. the little relays get worn and dirty with use and unfortunately optical mise are really not worth the bother to try to open and clean. If the mouse is, say 3 years or older, I would suggest trying a different mouse (do you have one at work or a neighbors that you can borrow. If the works with out a glitch, time to invest in a new mouse.. you might even upgrade to a wireless asuming you have an open USB port. You cah get a good quality mouse, logitech, migrosoft, Taurus etc for $18 and above.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top