Watch Freeks banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Monta Triumph vs. Sinn 556i

Which is better for the price?

I have previously owned the Sinn 556i on bracelet had it for almost two years. It was a fine little watch, with emphasis on “little”, it looked tiny on my 8” wrist.

It was a solid little watch that ran at about +7 a day using an unregulated Top Grade ETA 2824-2 movement. The fit and finish was good, the case and bracelet were both stainless steel with a satin finish.

The dial was very utilitarian looking with a flat black dial with painted on markers of mediocre lume. If you have a smaller wrist this would make a great all around watch since it was 200m WR and even had a divers extension on the bracelet (as shown below.)

The crystal was sapphire with an inside/outside AR applied, this one along with my other two Sinn’s had a propensity to easily smudge up more then any other watch that I have owned, this is a major flaw in their watches.

The 556i is a bare bones, solid field watch, but could never be considered luxury since it’s fit finish and attention detail doesn’t come close to the Rolex Explorer 39mm , or the Omega Aqua-Terra, and dare I say, the Monta Triumph.

The Monta on the other hand wears larger then at 38.5mm, then does the Sinn at the same size. The fit, finish, and build quality on the Monta indeed rivals the Rolex Explorer and the Omega Aqua-Terra , in fact I would go as far as to say the bracelet on the Monta is superior, fully articulating links, buttery smooth finish, the outside edges of the links are beveled and polished, not sharp like on the Rolex. The only thing the Explorer’s bracelet has over the Monta is the easy link, extension feature.

The only, and I mean only advantage the Omega and the Rolex have over the Monta is name cache and their in-house movements, nothing more then that!

Dial wise the Monta blows the Sinn out of the water, Rhodium plated hands and markers, the hands are beveled as well, Lume about 10 times better and 4 choices of dial color, flat black and sunburst blue, green, and silver.

Movement wise the Monta once again blows the Sinn out of the water, a decorated Top Grade Sellita SW300 (their venison of the vaunted ETA 2892-a2) that has been regulated to -+5 seconds a day, mine is running so far at +1.

For a difference of around $300 to $400 you can get a nice tool watch, or a luxury tool watch. The Monta blows the Sinn away in every category, and as I said, I have owned both. The Sinn is not even in the same ball park, more or less the same league.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I really don’t get this comparison that you’re stuck on. They’re 2 entirely different watches.

The one is supposed to be a rugged looking work horse and the other is a much dressier watch. Sinn has other dressier models that would be a better comparator.

I say that and I really like the Monta and have it on my list if the right opportunity comes up. On the other hand I have no desire to have a 556.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really don’t get this comparison that you’re stuck on. They’re 2 entirely different watches.

The one is supposed to be a rugged looking work horse and the other is a much dressier watch. Sinn has other dressier models that would be a better comparator.

I say that and I really like the Monta and have it on my list if the right opportunity comes up. On the other hand I have no desire to have a 556.

They're both field watches of with same sized case 38.5mm, Sinn doesn't have a dressier model field watch, in fact I also had the Sinn 856 which was a better sized watch at 40mm and had the SW300 movement in it , but it wasn't regulated.

That watch also was built like a tank with tegimented steel, argon sealed case, and a sulfur phosphate capsule to absorb any moisture that may get in watch.

That watch was a dull looking as hell also, even more so then the 556i,

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why didn't you poll this ? Its not that difficult. But, I'd take the Monta over the Sinn.

You're right, I forgot to. Last Watch Battle I did was the Sinn 556i vs The Tudor North Flag, the Tudor won.

Maybe I should pit the North Flag against the Monta next, with a poll.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
You know where my vote would be going. Things didn't work out the way I wanted. But one day I'm confident I will own a North Flag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts