Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pathfinder III 40 Leather (Luminous dial)
http://www.momentumwatch.com/

http://www.momentumwatch.com/contact-us/

http://www.momentumwatch.com/product/pathfinder-iii-40-leather/

Companies description:

Momentum Watch said:
Pathfinder III 40 Leather

Practical functionality with a vintage style and feel. A feather-light solid titanium case with a new unique “Touch” alarm movement from ISA of Switzerland. Featuring a crown and alarm pusher on the left side for maximum comfort – perfect for those who wear their watch closer to their hand.

FEATURES
100 METER TESTED WITH SCREW-DOWN CROWN
2-3 YEAR BATTERY LIFE
22MM VINTAGE LEATHER
The Vintage leather band is specially made for Momentum with genuine Italian leather. This hand-stitched leather is very soft and supple making it super comfortable to wear day in and day out.

Price: $235 CDN

Specs:

Large size model (40MM)
Case diameter with crown: 42.35mm
Case diameter: 40mm (available in a 34MM version)
Lug to Lug: 48.28mm
Thickness: 10.68mm
Band Width: 22.00mm
Weight (including strap): 46 grams

Technology: Swiss Quartz Analogue
Functions: HH, MM, SS, DATE, ALARM with snooze
Power: Silver Oxide Cell
Case: Solid Titanium, screw back, screw-down crown
Crystal: Heat-tempered, anti-glare Mineral crystal (sapphire option available @ +50CDN)
Finish: Matte Titanium
Water-Resistance: 100M / 330FT
Dial Colours: Black, Luminous
**Please note my regular photo hosting site "Onedrive" is no longer supporting static URL's for it's pics. I had to use FB. I apologize for the resulting degrade in photo quality. If pics stop working please let me know via PM. Thanks.**

I’ve been a fan of Momentum watch for a while now. I bought a Cobalt Lite a few years back, but ended up selling it to fund something else. I regretted that, and was actually thinking of replacing it. Then I saw this model. After wearing a 41MM watch for a while (Tropik SS), I am a big fan of the 40-42MM range. While the Cobalt Lite’s 44MM case isn’t enormous, it’s lot of face without a bezel. Don’t get me wrong, I still love big watches, regularly rocking a rangeman and a Jsar, but it is nice to have something smaller at times. I had to have a look.

Enter the Pathfinder III.

First off, Momentum has really stepped up the packaging. In the past, the regular package was a plastic box with integrated stand. It was kind of flimsy, and the watch could easily become dislodged and be loose within the packaging. It worked, but not the best. Here we see a nice box and the watch securely attached to a pillow.

First thing I noticed out of the box is this thing is LIGHT. Crazy light. Tips the scales as advertised at 46grams. That’s 1.6OZ. A lot of that can be attributed to it’s small size and titanium construction. It feels weightless on the wrist.

The caseback is also titanium, which is great for anyone who has metallic allergies.

This model comes with the brown, “Vintage leather” strap. It is a decent strap, very comfortable. I like the fixed keeper in addition to the adjustable one. It is branded with the company name and states “Genuine Italian Leather”.

The band tapers from 22MM to 20MM and comes with a branded buckle.

Here are some wrist shots of it on my 6.75” wrist.

The dial and hands are well done. Very crisp print on the dial, and the hands sharply point to their mark. The small seconds hand has no play. The GMT style alarm hand is nicely marked red. Date at 3 o’clock. I would have liked to see “00” at 12 instead of “24”.

As noted before, I have been wearing a 41MM watch a lot. This one is ever so slightly smaller, BUT, due to no bezel, the face is larger, thus making it wear accordingly.

Here’s a quick lume shot. I’ll get a few better ones in the coming days. It does not disappoint! It’s a day time, hint of shadow glower for sure!

Here is a video of the alarm. It is pretty good, and resonates nicely with the caseback on a hard surface. It would do a good job on a night stand.

To set, you unscrew the crown and move it to the first position. Then turn counter clockwise to set. The red alarm button (which seems to be nicely anodized) can then be depressed to arm or disarm. This system works, but isn’t great for quick setting. It would be best served for a time which repeated regularly. (work alarm etc) I would have really liked it to have a system similar to the Swiss Army Chrono Classic’s press on, press off, press and hold to set. That is the bees knees, but at this price point, this set up works.

So far so good! I am really liking it. Over the next week I will be checking it for accuracy. I set it -15sec today. More pics will be coming.

============

Noisy lume vid taken from Galaxy note 4:

============

============

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have two Momentum watches, they are a great product and excellent customer service. I think if you send it back for a battery change they will replace the battery and pressure test the watch for around $40. then the warranty goes for another two years. Check the manual. Enjoy.:smileyface_hand_cla

·
Long Time Member
2,094 Posts
Nice review Nine!! I had just seen that model the other day and was kinda wondering how it would compare to my Cobalt Lite.

Tremendous photos for sure!!

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do you like the knob on the left side? Is it hard to get used to? I frequently travel across time zones, so I'd be using it a lot.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find the crown at a position other than 3 O'clock is often more comfortable. (left hand wear) I never make crown adjustments while wearing a watch, so crown position is never an issue for me other than preference/comfort.

·
11,575 Posts
Great Review of a very cool watch.

Reactions: nine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Getting used to twisting the stem with my left hand is what I wonder about. (Or using my right hand with the face upside-down.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One week in. This watch has gained just over 1 second in 7 days. The leather strap softened nicely. The alarm is the only nit pick I have with this watch. I would like to see this model/size without it. Overall this is not only a good watch for the price, it's a good watch in general. Looks great, keeps very good time and is extremely comfortable.

I ordered a rubber strap for it from Momentum, should be in next week. By the way, all of Momentum's straps are 20% for the month of November using code DST2015FALLBANDS.

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
I always forget how much i like Momentum watches. This one looks very nice, and I love the fully lumed dial.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
that's a nice brand to remember when i am tired of SEIKO-ORIENT

HALIOS is sweet

i wear classic size, too; fight wrist fatigue

good review

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Excellent review.

I really like the dial and the ease of readability.
Crazy lume as well.

I have 5 Momentum watches and they are all very good quality.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As posted earlier, I got my momentum rubber strap today. This is one of my favourite natural rubber straps I've owned to date. This comes as an option on the cobalt lite. The cobalt is gone, but the strap is on my isobrite. I knew it would do well on this model. This is a short strap (excellent for smaller wrists) and has awesome keepers.

http://www.momentumwatch.com/product/ribbed-natural-rubber-22mm/

1 - 20 of 22 Posts