Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

So let's say that you come across a really great watch from a reputable manufacturer with every feature and characteristic that you dig and the price tag was around $400. At one point it was available with the Miyota 8215 but the manufacturer switched later to the G10. So let's say that it is now available in both versions for the same money.....which would you choose?

CJ

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

To be 100% honest, personally I would not care.

If the price is the same I only really care about the look of the watch.

I have many watches with all different movements inside them and they all tell time perfectly and have had no problems at all.

I would not care about the movement, to be 100% honest, if I liked the watch and wanted it.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

the miyota.......why? Very simple.......is it an asian auto movement, yes......but i would rather have a decent reliable auto movement, versus a cheap swiss g10 movement........thats me......., not saying the g10 is not reliable, cause i know people have said it is, but , these days, i think about the movement a little more than i used to.....

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

I won't pay $400 for a watch that has either movement because they are cheap movements. The watch would really have to be fantastic to get me to pay that much for one of these movements at the heart of it.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

OK Rob, so assume that the rest of the watch was worth the money to you.....which one then?

CJ

Watchguru58 wrote:
I won't pay $400 for a watch that has either movement because they are cheap movements. The watch would really have to be fantastic to get me to pay that much for one of these movements at the heart of it.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

perfect blossom!! i A-B-S-O-L-U-T-L-Y Agree 100% any auto versus a comparable quartz -i would choose the auto JMHO

tattoo chef wrote:
the miyota.......why? Very simple.......is it an asian auto movement, yes......but i would rather have a decent reliable auto movement, versus a cheap swiss g10 movement........thats me......., not saying the g10 is not reliable, cause i know people have said it is, but , these days, i think about the movement a little more than i used to.....

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

The watch would be the deciding factor, but I probably wouldn't buy EITHER for $400. I did, once. I bought the 1000M Renato Vulcan Diver during it's first airing for $429 and I traded it for a SAN automatic, MOSTLY because I couldn't get past the G10, even in such a pretty case as the Vulcan (Shock Blue Dial).

OTO, I DID buy the SL Karamica, but it was:
A: only $169
B: Sapphire Crystal
C: 100% Ceramic case and bracelet. Even the bezel is ceramic.

But $400, uh no. That's why I haven't caught Viperfish fever. If it was an ETA28xx I'd be all over it, but to me, miyotas and G10s are for sub $200 watches. Since you can get PLENTY of 'em for under $80, it has to be SPECIAL in some way to cost more than $100 if I'm gonna buy it.

Just me. I'm a bottom-feeder, LOL

David

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

argabright wrote:
The watch would be the deciding factor, but I probably wouldn't buy EITHER for $400. I did, once. I bought the 1000M Renato Vulcan Diver during it's first airing for $429 and I traded it for a SAN automatic, MOSTLY because I couldn't get past the G10, even in such a pretty case as the Vulcan (Shock Blue Dial).

OTO, I DID buy the SL Karamica, but it was:
A: only $169
B: Sapphire Crystal
C: 100% Ceramic case and bracelet. Even the bezel is ceramic.

But $400, uh no. That's why I haven't caught Viperfish fever. If it was an ETA28xx I'd be all over it, but to me, miyotas and G10s are for sub $200 watches. Since you can get PLENTY of 'em for under $80, it has to be SPECIAL in some way to cost more than $100 if I'm gonna buy it.

Just me. I'm a bottom-feeder, LOL

David

My sentiments exactly. I really like the NFW Viperfish auto as well, but not with the Miyota 8215 for what the asking price will be. I guess you could say that the movement is a big part of why I buy a watch. I have learned the hard way that the Miyota 8215 and the ETA G10 are not worth the asking price if they cost more then $200 in a watch.

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Seattle wrote:
OK Rob, so assume that the rest of the watch was worth the money to you.....which one then?

CJ

Watchguru58 wrote:
It would be a stretch for that kind of money, but I will always choose an auto over a quartz no matter what.

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

Either one,But I would prefer the Quartz over the Auto. I am not overly impressed with auto's as some movement snobs are but I would take either if I had no choice!

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
Either one,But I would prefer the Quartz over the Auto. I am not overly impressed with auto's as some movement snobs are but I would take either if I had no choice!
LOL!! "Movement Snobs" you kill me Ron. :%

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
I'm also an engine snob, LOL. I like my Harley's air-cooled EVO better than HONDA water-pumpers, too...
:lol

David

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Too friggin funny!!! I thought the quartz guys were the movement snobs:%:%:%:%:%

CJ

RipitRon wrote:

·
Banned
3,638 Posts
imported post

argabright wrote:
RipitRon wrote:
I'm also an engine snob, LOL. I like my Harley's air-cooled EVO better than HONDA water-pumpers, too...

David
There is nothing wrong with spending 20K on a Harley, and have less power, less reliability, Inferior braking, Inferior clutch life, Inferior trans. I like Harley's too they always give a guy something too work on! I have built my share of them, and the mystic of them and the heritage brings the value, but tho bottom line is simple you want a reliable ground pounding cruiser, buy a water cooler Japanese motorcycle!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
imported post

RipitRon wrote:
argabright wrote:
RipitRon wrote:

David
There is nothing wrong with spending 20K on a Harley, and have less power, less reliability, Inferior braking, Inferior clutch life, Inferior trans. I like Harley's too they always give a guy something too work on! I have built my share of them, and the mystic of them and the heritage brings the value, but tho bottom line is simple you want a reliable ground pounding cruiser, buy a water cooler Japanese motorcycle!
If I want airbags, cruise-control and Satellite Radio, I have a Cadillac STS.

When I want to ride a MOTORCYCLE, it's a Harley. A japanese bike is a fine, reliable means of transportation. I had one. It doesn't feel the same as a Harley, even as they try to copy the styling (to the point of being SUED and being FORCED to discontinue using a knock-off engine- the ACE, if I'm not remembering wrong). It comes down to priorities and in watches, history and lineage is part of it.

Your G-10s keep better time than my Valjoux 7750, too...

David
(movement snob, LOL)

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Let's move the motorcycle discussion to a different thread please and keep this one about the 2 different WATCH movements originally being discussed.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts