Watch Freeks banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Pagani Design PD-1653, which is a skeletonized mechanical watch, and turned out it's missing the lume circle at the 8 o'clock position (there is a small hole in the chapter ring at that spot, so it looks like the factory forgot to put that lume in place and QA missed it). I didn't pay a lot for the watch, and the cost to return it to China was high. My thoughts are maybe the lume circles could be re-arranged (no lume at 6 o'clock position would be ok), or others removed for symmetry (1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 11), replace the chapter ring with a good one, or maybe even just remove the chapter ring altogether (assuming it's not somehow integral to the design). How sane are any of these ideas? Any suggestions on where I could go to the work done? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Watch Freek
536 Posts
Hi Nater,

Welcome to the forum!

Given the cost of the watch (USD 99 if I am not mistaken?) I wouldn't bother trying to modify it. If you do not already have the skills of a watchmaker, likely you will do more harm than good, and taking it to a watchmaker will likely cost you more than the USD 99 you already paid.

Unless Pagani will refund your money, you will likely have to live with it as is. Or maybe turn this one into your beater (mowing the lawn, that sort of stuff) and buy something else as your posh watch?

Maybe a Vostok Amphibia: Vostok Watch Amphibian SE 020B50 Icebreacker Blue

Or an Orient: Orient Mako II Automatic Black Dial Men's Watch FAA02001B9

Cheers,
FB

·
Watch Freek
536 Posts
On a side note, did you contact their support? One their website it says:

If there is an issue with the product itself due to defects in materials or craftsmanship, please contact [email protected] right away so we may replace it for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Nater,

Welcome to the forum!

Given the cost of the watch (USD 99 if I am not mistaken?) I wouldn't bother trying to modify it. If you do not already have the skills of a watchmaker, likely you will do more harm than good, and taking it to a watchmaker will likely cost you more than the USD 99 you already paid.

Unless Pagani will refund your money, you will likely have to live with it as is. Or maybe turn this one into your beater (mowing the lawn, that sort of stuff) and buy something else as your posh watch?

Maybe a Vostok Amphibia: Vostok Watch Amphibian SE 020B50 Icebreacker Blue

Or an Orient: Orient Mako II Automatic Black Dial Men's Watch FAA02001B9

Cheers,
FB
Thanks for getting back to me - I'm not surprised it won't be worth modifying, it must be time-consuming to tear a watch down to the chapter ring/dial. I don't have watchmaker skills, just a few of the tools needed to remove casebacks so that I replace the batteries in my quartz watches myself. I have a number of other watches, including a Vostok and a Seiko 5 Series, and I like those a lot. Where the Pagani fit in was with it's smaller size (under 40mm) and how it was a modern/sporty skeletonized movement. Unfortunately I didn't buy the Pagani direct from them, so I haven't tried to contact them. I'll probably just try to sell it, explaining up front what the issue is.

There aren't many smaller skeletonized watches out there, especially sporty ones, that I've found. For instance, the Orient Star Avant-garde is 43.2mm across not including the crown (and it also costs $1765). I'm open to any recommendations for a sub-40mm skeletonized watch with a modern look that doesn't cost a lot - maybe there's something I've missed?

- Nate

·
Super Moderator
11,855 Posts
Hi Nater, and yes, welcome to the forum ! 😀

Honestly think your ideas with your watch are great to tell the
truth, but like FB is saying above, the cost might be more than
the cost of the watch. I mean if you were able to do it yourself
that is one thing, but if you are like me, it might be best to go
a different route. (y)

Now as to skeletonized watches, I know there are a ton out
there, but don't know a ton myself. 😄You can find nice ones
from orient as you know, but also from nice affordable brands
like Invicta, Stuhrling Original, Akribos, and Rougois it looks
like. Not to mention brands like Bulova, and even Oris.

Also, just seeing Aradon's Caprice 3600 Skeleton which is
44mm, but that is with the crown probably, so maybe they
might work for you, and look really cool as well. No matter
what, the best thing to do is take your time, and really look
around, and of course have !

·
Watch Freek
536 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me - I'm not surprised it won't be worth modifying, it must be time-consuming to tear a watch down to the chapter ring/dial. I don't have watchmaker skills, just a few of the tools needed to remove casebacks so that I replace the batteries in my quartz watches myself. I have a number of other watches, including a Vostok and a Seiko 5 Series, and I like those a lot. Where the Pagani fit in was with it's smaller size (under 40mm) and how it was a modern/sporty skeletonized movement. Unfortunately I didn't buy the Pagani direct from them, so I haven't tried to contact them. I'll probably just try to sell it, explaining up front what the issue is.

There aren't many smaller skeletonized watches out there, especially sporty ones, that I've found. For instance, the Orient Star Avant-garde is 43.2mm across not including the crown (and it also costs $1765). I'm open to any recommendations for a sub-40mm skeletonized watch with a modern look that doesn't cost a lot - maybe there's something I've missed?

- Nate
My best advice is to use Google to find what you want as there indeed so many, and the choice is personal.

The trend (up until recently) was to have huge watches, this has been slowly changing in the more expensive brands, and it will likely take time to filter down to the less expensive brands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts