Watch Freeks banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought some of you may be interested in this change which just made today.

Here is a snippet from a press release that went out about it.

"In an effort to expand their efforts to raise funds for charities that assist veterans and their families. Minuteman Watch Co is switching to Direct-to-Consumer sales. This move has allowed Minuteman Watch Co to offer dramatically lower pricing on current watch models. This move should increase sales volume which in turn will raise more funds for charity.

25% of the profit from each Minuteman Watch Co product sold goes to charities that assist veterans and their families. Each year Minuteman Watch Co selects a different veterans charity to raise funds for. For 2015 that charity is Special Operations Warrior Foundation. "

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Giving is wonderful, and giving is personal, and Givers Gain, but honestly, I'm growing weary of companies that publicly pat themselves on the back like this.

Just give a percentage of your profits to the charities you choose to give to, and no one really needs to know about it but you and the charity. Don't try to sell me a product based on the fact that if I buy it....then you'll give.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Giving is wonderful, and giving is personal, and Givers Gain, but honestly, I'm growing weary of companies that publicly pat themselves on the back like this.

Just give a percentage of your profits to the charities you choose to give to, and no one really needs to know about it but you and the charity. Don't try to sell me a product based on the fact that if I buy it....then you'll give.
One of the primary reasons we created the brand is to raise funds for charity. So of course we are going to point that out as it sets us apart from other brands.

I also resent the fact you feel that we are patting ourselves on the back. I assure you that's not the case.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
One of the primary reasons we created the brand is to raise funds for charity. So of course we are going to point that out as it sets us apart from other brands.

I also resent the fact you feel that we are patting ourselves on the back. I assure you that's not the case.

My first 10 words, and last sentence are the most important.

I'm good with your resentment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
Four, I get where you are coming from, but Minutemans whole purpose is to give to charities. That's the whole reason they started the company. They assemble the watches in the U.S., they have trained us vets to work on them, supplying them with jobs and give part of profits as stated.
While I can see your stance that is marketing (which lets be honest, it is to a point), some people want to know where money is going and will buy not only based on the watch itself but knowing money is going to a charity.
NFW does this a lot as well.

Of course, not everyone is on board with it, but I see no reason to get on Thomas for it.
Maybe I'm off base but I don't see what they are doing wrong as long as the money goes to where they say it does.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Four, I get where you are coming from, but Minutemans whole purpose is to give to charities. That's the whole reason they started the company. They assemble the watches in the U.S., they have trained us vets to work on them, supplying them with jobs and give part of profits as stated.
While I can see your stance that is marketing (which lets be honest, it is to a point), some people want to know where money is going and will buy not only based on the watch itself but knowing money is going to a charity.

Of course, not everyone is on board with it, but I see no reason to get on Thomas for it.
Maybe I'm off base but I don't see what they are doing wrong as long as the money goes to where they say it does.

Points all well taken

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

I think the big problem here is that everyone and their mother is raising money for some charity and then we find out that a couple of them are basically stuffing the money in personal accounts. I can see where Four is coming from. Its a classic tale of a few bad apples mess it up for everyone. However, to your point TC. I have been following minute man and while the designs don't speak to me I feel that the project is genuine. I hope they can set themselves apart and make everyone understand that the money is really going where they say it goes. Not sure how you would do that with out showing financial statements.

best of luck to them.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I commend you Thomas. For several reasons. Some I just found out. i would guess that your preference for employment is veterans if they qualify for the job. And you state the percentage you give to charity I believe is quite high from you profit. I have seen other companies make the charity statement and the percent is low. That is truly an advertising ploy. To start the company for the reason of being able to give is great. I hope your company prospers. If the company gets rich, the charities part will be substantial. Maybe there will be a day that the percent will increase to them. RG LeTourneau was know for giving up to 90%. His 10% he kept I am sure was substantial. After all, how many Blancpain's does a CEO need to own.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think the big problem here is that everyone and their mother is raising money for some charity and then we find out that a couple of them are basically stuffing the money in personal accounts. I can see where Four is coming from. Its a classic tale of a few bad apples mess it up for everyone. However, to your point TC. I have been following minute man and while the designs don't speak to me I feel that the project is genuine. I hope they can set themselves apart and make everyone understand that the money is really going where they say it goes. Not sure how you would do that with out showing financial statements.

best of luck to them.

To address your question of the money going where they say it does, the charity that they donate to if a "monetary contribution" must supply them with a IRS approved receipt, if it is "in kind" (meaning some other service) an IRS approved "in kind" donation letter needs to be provided by the charity. These are both forms of proof that could be easily shared. Public charities have become much more controlled for reporting to the IRS and how reporting is handled between donors and recipient.
I know this first hand as I sit on the Board of Directors for a 501c(3) that benefits children.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
To address your question of the money going where they say it does, the charity that they donate to if a "monetary contribution" must supply them with a IRS approved receipt, if it is "in kind" (meaning some other service) an IRS approved "in kind" donation letter needs to be provided by the charity. These are both forms of proof that could be easily shared. Public charities have become much more controlled for reporting to the IRS and how reporting is handled between donors and recipient.
I know this first hand as I sit on the Board of Directors for a 501c(3) that benefits children.
Well, i am sure a company could claim 25% of sales to a charity and in the fine print it would be only 25% of sales of a certain model which represents the lowest vol of sales so in essence its 25% of all sales of (fine print -- model so an so) which only amounts to a very small % of $$ to the charity. Maybe you can chime in on this point. I dont work with charities so I dont know but all we have to do is look at false marketing practices and that is regulated by the Gov and the scum still get their way -- sometimes

Let me be clear there are many ways to be dishonest with out running amok of the law. I am going to repeat what I said above -- I believe Thomas is sincere. I am just saying that is how things get muddled up and that is why Four says what he said. There are too many snakes out there.

The one who lose out here are the recipients of the charities and the companies like Minute Man.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Well, i am sure a company could claim 25% of sales to a charity and in the fine print it would be only 25% of sales of a certain model which represents the lowest vol of sales so in essence its 25% of all sales of (fine print -- model so an so) which only amounts to a very small % of $$ to the charity. Maybe you can chime in on this point. I dont work with charities so I dont know but all we have to do is look at false marketing practices and that is regulated by the Gov and the scum still get their way -- sometimes

Let me be clear there are many ways to be dishonest with out running amok of the law. I am going to repeat what I said above -- I believe Thomas is sincere. I am just saying that is how things get muddled up and that is why Four says what he said. There are too many snakes out there.

The one who lose out here are the recipients of the charities and the companies like Minute Man.

Again, this is all "Public Information" a true charity whether a Charitable Organization or a Charitable Foundation is owned by the public and therefore their records are public and available for inspection.

As far as the donor it is the donor that determines the "value" of what they are donating so they are subject to IRS audit should they make false claims they would pay the penalty.

Lastly, it is up to the person that is making the purchase from a company claiming to donate a percentage to a charity (remember these are required to be public record) to take personal responsibility of knowing and understanding HOW the donation is made and what the basis is. That is if it matters where your money is going and you want to be assured that a certain percentage of your purchase gets to the named charity. Bottom line is yes you have to read the fine print and understand how it works!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
All good points but we have hijacked the tread. Thanks to WH for the info -- I am not in that business so I am/was clueless to the details.

Thomas -- good work on this project. This world would be a better place if there was more charity

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Charitable organizations that provide assistance to veterans and their families are very deserving of support and donations so kudos to Minuteman for what they're doing. If the new sales model results in increased profits and donations, everyone comes out a winner. Since the press release states that 25% of the profit from each Minuteman product sold goes to the charitable organization, i don't think they're hiding anything in the fine print.

To Minuteman - Since donating a portion of profits to charity is emphasized in your press release and is a differentiator for your company, it would be nice to see some followup from you that details the positive effect of your contributions. As Muhammad Ali said, "It's not bragging if you can back it up."

·
Administrator
11,415 Posts
Thought some of you may be interested in this change which just made today.

Here is a snippet from a press release that went out about it.

"In an effort to expand their efforts to raise funds for charities that assist veterans and their families. Minuteman Watch Co is switching to Direct-to-Consumer sales. This move has allowed Minuteman Watch Co to offer dramatically lower pricing on current watch models. This move should increase sales volume which in turn will raise more funds for charity.

25% of the profit from each Minuteman Watch Co product sold goes to charities that assist veterans and their families. Each year Minuteman Watch Co selects a different veterans charity to raise funds for. For 2015 that charity is Special Operations Warrior Foundation. "
Bravo, Thomas.

As a military veteran I appreciate your efforts. Any monetary contribution that assists my fellow veterans is fantastic. Thank you for forming such a company and contributing to the welfare of the veterans in our great country.

:smileyface_hand_cla

1 - 16 of 16 Posts