Watch Freeks banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I got this as a Christmas gift. They were selling these for $16 shipped. Because of the low price I did not expect much. Therefore, I am not disappointed.

One of bulbs lasted two minutes and then burned out. Replacements are about $5 at Target so now I'm in for $21 (really $26 because I bought two bulbs so I have a spare). The rest of the kit is fun to play with, if not high quality. One thing I can say is that the tripod (maybe not this one but A TRIPOD) is needed if you want to take decent pictures. Also, a camera with a macro mode and a timer so you can set the shutter release and let go of the camera for a steady shot. I found setting up the box interesting. It seems as if the parts are assembled upside down or inside out or something weird. I was able to get it to stay together using some velcro tabs that I had on my workbench. It seems better now. The box is small and as long as you want to shoot items about the size of a watch you are OK. It is nice that everything fits back inside the case when you are done. And, it has made the quality of my pictures much better. Mostly because you can use the box to filter the light and eliminate the glare that I was getting before using the box. Not good for on the wrist shots at all, too small an area! It will take some practice but I think this is worth the $16 dollars spent on it.

I give it ***.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Spaceview wrote:

I got this as a Christmas gift. They were selling these for $16 shipped. Because of the low price I did not expect much. Therefore, I am not disappointed.

One of bulbs lasted two minutes and then burned out. Replacements are about $5 at Target so now I'm in for $21 (really $26 because I bought two bulbs so I have a spare). The rest of the kit is fun to play with, if not high quality. One thing I can say is that the tripod (maybe not this one but A TRIPOD) is needed if you want to take decent pictures. Also, a camera with a macro mode and a timer so you can set the shutter release and let go of the camera for a steady shot. I found setting up the box interesting. It seems as if the parts are assembled upside down or inside out or something weird. I was able to get it to stay together using some velcro tabs that I had on my workbench. It seems better now. The box is small and as long as you want to shoot items about the size of a watch you are OK. It is nice that everything fits back inside the case when you are done. And, it has made the quality of my pictures much better. Mostly because you can use the box to filter the light and eliminate the glare that I was getting before using the box. Not good for on the wrist shots at all, too small an area! It will take some practice but I think this is worth the $16 dollars spent on it.

I give it ***.
A big thank you Marc for the review. I purchased the same kit too. All I wanted it for was to photograph watches. I have not used it yet but it should improve my watch photos. If you don't mind what size and type bulbs did you buy at target. Itcase I might have to stuck up too. ....Bob

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

20W GU10 bulbs. If one blows take it out and you will see the odd base. Bring it with you but don't get anything stronger then 20W as it might melt the lamp holder.

·
Registered
298 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the review - I picked one of these up a few months back on the 1Sale-A-Day site. I haven't used it at all - I unpacked and set it up but that was it. I thought it was small too - probably will work for watches or something like that - thanks for your "in depth" review.

Let's see some pics of the Citizen SkyHawk in this set up !!

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Nice Marc, hell can't get a whole lot for $16 anymore. Seems like a good deal, thanks for the info.

Just added; 12 pack of SANIII quartz at Costco for $16.00.....I stand corrected.:%:%:%

CJ

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Seattle wrote:
Nice Marc, hell can't get a whole lot for $16 anymore. Seems like a good deal, thanks for the info.

CJ
I think Seattle pays Hasselbeck $16 to throw all those interceptions.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
imported post

Nice review, Marc!

What you have there is a great deal for $16 (plus, plus). :)

I clicked on your link and looked at the pics of your Citizen Skyhawk and they look great!

I resort to taking wrist shots outside, for the same space issues as yourself. Also, for MOP, sunray, and other exotic dials, natural sunlight (correctly shaded), can set off these dials very nicely.

Thanks for taking the time to write the thread and it's great to see you taking a deeper interest in your pics. There's nothing like being able to show off your new watches in a way that also garners praise for your photographic skills!

Good for you!

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Rick,

Thanks for the kind words. I hope your feeling better.

·
Banned
5,045 Posts
imported post

Ouch, ouch, ouch.........his days are numbered! I wouldn't pay that guy .16 cents to play for me!!!!:madd:madd:madd:madd

Sorry for the hostility......hard to be a fan in Seattle.

CJ

Spaceview wrote:
Seattle wrote:

CJ
I think Seattle pays Hasselbeck $16 to throw all those interceptions.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Seattle wrote:
Sorry for the hostility......hard to be a fan in Seattle.
CJ
I've been to Seattle once. Great fish and plenty of coffee. Not much on sports however! :t

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.