Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your view what features should be on the dial of a 3 hand military style wrist watch?

Should the overall dial have a clean look or more features?

should 13 through 24 appear either above or below 1 through 12. Such as this example.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
This is what Sinn says a Military dial looks like

Reactions: cheng

·
Registered
40 Posts
Simple and easy to read

If you muck it up trying to be over military. It ruins the look and turns it into a mess.

The Marathon is a bad example.

1-12 pushed closer to the center due to long indexes and with the added 13-24 numbers. Makes a middle mess

DON

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
If i needed numbers on the dial when I was in the military then I would have worn a digital watch.

I like the old Type I military style that Jake used on the CAV-1. Pure, simple, and classic:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I suggest having the arabic numbers the way it is on the marathon, but place the 13-24 numbers on the inner bezel similar to how Vostok-Europe's Gaz-14 Limo. Black face and casing, with white markers, numbers and hands. Black polyurethane link bracelet like this one (link).

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Ask a marine
Or a warrior in the field
Or whats the best seller in the PX at Camp Pendelton

Most of the fashion watches are not considered battle worthy

And LUME. Forget about the bright lights

Its a snipers dream

Don't believe me. OK

I know from a family member, Officer, sniper instructor. 5 Tours

I recently watched the Equalizer movie. They used the perfect watch preferred by the guys in the field

Starts with an S... ends with an O and its not a Seiko

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Has there ever been a watch that has windows at each hour index with a disk underneath carrying the 1-12 and then after 12 hours it clicks over to the 13-24?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Ask a marine
Or a warrior in the field
Or whats the best seller in the PX at Camp Pendelton

Most of the fashion watches are not considered battle worthy

... the perfect watch preferred by the guys in the field

Starts with an S... ends with an O and its not a Seiko
True enough, for actual battlefield use a shock-resistant digital probably with a red light to illuminate the display in the dark is the way to go.

But it's fun to play around with design ideas for a field watch.

I like what bentfish suggested about bezel use.

How about Arabic numerals 1-12 on the dial as usual, then on a fixed external bezel you'd have your 13-00 (or vice versa)? You could have a day/night indicator of some sort on the dial to let the reader know which set of numerals he should be reading.

Again, just fun to kick ideas around on this.

·
Administrator
24,243 Posts
I think it should look like the Swiss Army Infantry:

1) automatic
2) date
3) hacking
4) better than average lume

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Thomas:
IMHO the best military dial ever is the dial on the WW2 issue A11.
Simple, unbusy, non chrono dial.
The A11 (used) was the 1st watch I bought in 1949. I was 11 y o.
I bought it with money from doing chores.
If I remember correctly, the pocketwatch version only had this
inscription, GMT.

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
489 Posts
Given my noob status in watch collecting, I'd say that's a pretty ingenious design, Funk.

Reactions: FunkDaLicious

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Given my noob status in watch collecting, I'd say that's a pretty ingenious design, Funk.
I really like 24-hour watches, and in my searching have run across that model a few times. It is a really cool complication.

Sorry, Thomas! Not trying to take over your thread! :p

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Gruen Airflight from the 1960's.

Wow! That's crazy!!!

Thanks for digging those images up, Funk!

I have to say, though, it sounded better on paper to me than it seemed to play out in real life. It's unique, but that particular iteration rubs me the wrong way. I think it's the way the windows make such noticeable depressions into the surface of the dial. Maybe if they were cut straight down (if that makes sense), and I think squares or rectangular cuts would look better than those circles and diamonds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts