Watch Freeks banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few years I have watched with astonishment the MIIK brand.

They are a Unicorn brand, legendary in reputation, yet almost impossible to buy new, what's with that?

Doesn't the owner Bill Yao want to make any money, or is this just a hobby for him?

These are homage watches that even the most rabid Rolex fanboy purists seem to give a pass on, and wax prolific about, what's with that??

If the dude ever had any new stock up, and actually for sale, I might be tempted to purchase one, but that seems pretty unlikely for now.

·
Banned
754 Posts
He seems to make beautiful watches but if you can get one, maybe it's cus you should try a Raven for a lot less without feeling like you're settling. In fact, I feel like it's a $3,000 watch on the wrist. My DT made me understand why people pay so much for Rolex's and it made me feel grateful not to have dreams to get one cus this watch is amazing and no pictures ever do it justice.

This is another great option, the Deep 44.

I'd love to get a Raven Vintage 42 one day even if I'm not a fan of the acrylic crystal.

Anything made by Steve Laughlin is top notch.

Reactions: Roarry

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those Raven's you are sporting make a Rolex Deepsea look like a dress watch.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yao sells HK watches worth a few hundred dollars for $1,000+. I doubt he's having any problem making money!
I would think he would make more money if he actually had inventory in stock to sell, to meet the demand??

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think that's where he is smart, in a way. If they were always available, would demand be so high? Most likely not. He has been using this business model for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And for that reason I will probably never buy one, he's artificially jacking up the price for his product by making it hard to find and exclusive.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Banned
754 Posts
And for that reason I will probably never buy one, he's artificially jacking up the price for his product by making it hard to find and exclusive.
I would too if I was him. I mean, you can only do so much with what you have right ? Work/produce less and get more $$$$$ sounds real good to me.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would too if I was him. I mean, you can only do so much with what you have right ? Work/produce less and get more $$$$$ sounds real good to me.
But Is the product he puts out that substantially better then say a Steinhart or Squale to warrant all the demand?

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Bill doesn't even count as a micro-brand. What he does would best be compared to the business model some custom knife makers use. They may turn out anywhere from a few dozen to a few hundred pieces a year. Just enough to build demand and justify the prices.

They are pricey, and you will find better quality pieces out there for much cheaper, but some people like to pay for the exclusivity of them. I personally love the style of MKII watches, and if you end up on one of his usually very long preorder lists, the price can be reasonable assuming you do t mind waiting sometimes years before a release.

Another thing, the price he charges is there to support him, as he is a business man and needs to get by somehow. I think his prices are steep for what he offers, but what does my opinion matter when he has thousands of other customers waiting in line to take my place.

·
Marine Tunnel Rat
5,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bill doesn't even count as a micro-brand. What he does would best be compared to the business model some custom knife makers use. They may turn out anywhere from a few dozen to a few hundred pieces a year. Just enough to build demand and justify the prices.

They are pricey, and you will find better quality pieces out there for much cheaper, but some people like to pay for the exclusivity of them. I personally love the style of MKII watches, and if you end up on one of his usually very long preorder lists, the price can be reasonable assuming you do t mind waiting sometimes years before a release.

Another thing, the price he charges is there to support him, as he is a business man and needs to get by somehow. I think his prices are steep for what he offers, but what does my opinion matter when he has thousands of other customers waiting in line to take my place.
Thanks for the info, I'll take a pass on this brand!

·
3,979 Posts
Chazman:
The MKIIK is so far above my pay grade it's astronomical!!!!
Doesn't dampen my yen to own one though.
Seen and heard of dozens of brands in my 60+ years of watch
love. But have never seen a MKIIK hands on.

Lou Snutt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts