Watch Freeks banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Long Time Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I note that more and more after market metal link style watch bands seem to employ butterfly type closures versus the older Deployment style clasps. To me the Deployment style is much more secure and less subject to wear, particularly if it includes a fold over overlapping secondary lock. The Butterfly may be faster to open but is more difficult to close in my opinion and is considerably less secure. It may give a more elegant looking watch band but who sees the back side of most watch bands unless you are one of the rare folks who wears their watch on the inside of the wrist like my grandfather used to. Which is your preference and/or opinion?

DEPLOYMENT STYLE WITH SECONDARY LOCK

BUTTERFLY STYLE

·
Super Moderator
18,322 Posts
Boy oh boy, another phenomenal topic, along with question here
Astronut ! (y)(y) I didn’t actually notice the shift to bracelets with
butterfly clasps, but now that you mention it, I see it now. 🙂 And
you have to wonder what actually causes these moves, or shifts by
the watch industry. :unsure: ..Especially since I agree with all of your
points about the positives of deployments clasps here above. Not
that butterfly aren’t nice, they are, but deployment are nice, and
reliable, as well as cool too imho.

I know I have heard a few stories of butterfly clasps opening when
people don’t want them too as well. Which I wanted to mention. ..I
mean it’s most likely a rare thing, but I have heard of it before. I’m
guessing it all depends on the design, or hair trigger quality of the
clasp.

No matter how you, or we slice it, it’s intriguing to see how watch
companies do things. Or try to follow, or initiate trends also. And
it’s also a lot of fun to talk about Astro. 😉 ..Thank you so so much
for coming up with the topic !!!

·
Long Time Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another advantage of most Deployment type clasps is easier fine length adjustment due to the multiple spring pin hole pairs in their "U" shaped portion of the clasp, typically anything from 3 pairs to 6, more in older bands. These allow length adjustments down to 1/10" or so. Many butterfly clasps have coarser adjustments of one link width in the band body though I have seen designs which incorporated two half width links for finer adjustments.

·
Super Moderator
18,322 Posts
Yet another winning aspect, or element with the Deployant Astro. 😎😀

Being able to get, or adjust a bracelet is really important. Because
you want the watch to fit as comfortable as you can. And a lot of
people look at comfort in different ways right?! They may like their
bracelet to be snug, loose, or somewhere in between. With it really
sounding like Deployments do it all. (y)

·
Watch Freek
208 Posts
I think it depends on the type of watch usually I prefer a single deployant although I think it depends on the watch. My Maurice Lacroix has a butterfly clasp it was just meant for this type of bracelet I do not think a single deployant would have suited this watch. I have a Jeager LeCoultre Master Control Hometime, the first model that came out had a single deployant and a couple of years later it came out with a butterfly, the butterfly looks more elegant but is not as secure as the single deployant. From the reviews, I read regarding this JLC bracelet the same point was made a more elegant presentation or a more secure, so it is a tradeoff, again on the JLC I like my single deployant but if it had the butterfly I probably would have not mattered since it is more of a sports/dress watch and one that I would not do yardwork in

1 - 7 of 7 Posts