Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I've got a bit of a fetish for inflicting "shark mesh" bands on poor unsuspecting mechanical or self-sufficient watches at the moment.

Thought I'd put a couple of photos of my next "shark mesh" victim on here, one alongside my favourite diver. It's a BV1080-18A Eco-Drive, which I've found to be fairly uncommon outside of the UK market. I've been after a beige/cream dial for a while now, to help break up the monotony of black dials.

The Seiko SKA723 was proving tricky to get at a reasonable price, so this will work for now. There's a Taurus 22mm strap coming next week to replace the khaki nylon which I'm not particularly chuffed with... will make an OK spare I guess. More photos to come once the strap change is complete.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I like the mesh bands, though I'm always worried it will pull out my arm hair... I hear they are more pleasant than than though.

Looks nice on the diver!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the mesh bands, though I'm always worried it will pull out my arm hair... I hear they are more pleasant than than though.

Looks nice on the diver!
Cheers... I haven't suffered any unauthorised "man-zilians" from this breed of strap yet, the links are pretty well-rounded and don't seem to grip hair, which is nice.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Nice watches.

You're in good company here with plenty of mesh fans. Interested to see what the 18A will look like on the mesh.

BTW - not sure what you would call a reasonable price but the SKA723 is available from Creation for around $125

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[BTW - not sure what you would call a reasonable price but the SKA723 is available from Creation for around $125[/QUOTE]

Perhaps not so much price, more of a price:convenience thing... I managed to get a hold of the Citizen in Australia for about the same price whereas the Seiko was almost impossible to find locally. Next time, though.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Shark Mesh is about as comfortable as it gets, wraps naturally around the wrist and let's your wrist breathe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As promised. Taurus 22mm strap arrived today. It's a big improvement over the khaki canvas IMHO, and I prefer this separation clasp style over the expansion clasp type because you can lengthen and shorten seamlessly.

I now have 2x Promaster divers, one not pictured (c.1999 digital/analogue) and the pictured Eco Drive which both take 20mm straps. I reckon it's a pity because they'd definitely benefit from a beefier 22mm or 24mm strap.

As for the Seiko SKA723 I mentioned previously, there are some really good deals on eBay at the moment... but honestly I think I prefer this Citizen. The Seiko dial is just a little busy and the reverse lume pip on the seconds hand is a bit quirky. That said I'm not a huge fan of the separate seconds dial on the Citizen, either... oh well.

Sent from my Google Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
I have a number of watches that benefit greatly from a mesh band. Especially watches like a Helson Turtle, which is the homage to a 1970 Certina dive watch. A match made in heaven so to speak. But in the Eighties, when watch design both inside and outside had changed drastically, I despised mesh. I thought they were the epitome of bad taste. Now I have seen the light! :D

Reactions: Roarry and 82mlpgts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With or without the mesh, I like that Citizen watch you have there. Nice!
Thanks, they've come up alright. I need to revert to type and get some more autos though... this Eco Drive thing is getting addictive...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a number of watches that benefit greatly from a mesh band. Especially watches like a Helson Turtle, which is the homage to a 1970 Certina dive watch. A match made in heaven so to speak. But in the Eighties, when watch design both inside and outside had changed drastically, I despised mesh. I thought they were the epitome of bad taste. Now I have seen the light! :D
I wasn't particularly watch-savvy in the 80s, being aged in the single digits and all. But I agree, looking back at what my parents and others were wearing, the mesh would have been gaudy.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The OP is showing Italian Milanese mesh. It's closer knit. Where shark mesh is looser as Chaz has shown above in the lower picture. Both are very comfortable. :nod:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I only have one and it's just a reproduction BUT a very good one I think!

I'm hoping to find a watch to put it on someday...

I had the right watch for it once BUT someone made me an offer I just couldn't say no to...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Love mesh, currently wearing only oyster.
Miss my mesh , great looking watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts