Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

This was a first attempt at differentiating the winding techniques between a commonly used automatic movement and a manual wind movement.

I may reshoot this, and any suggestions would be helpful in the reshoot. :)

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/rjQVk5Vz-6s&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
imported post

Thank you Rick! I will definetly be a touch more careful with my manual wind timepieces. Thank you for explaining the differences. ....Bob

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
imported post

When you are winding it it seems as if you are winding it back and forth? I thought you were supposed to only wind it one way?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

DenFromNM wrote:
When you are winding it it seems as if you are winding it back and forth? I thought you were supposed to only wind it one way?
You can wind it only towards the 12 o'clock position if you wish. I choose to go back and forth so that I don't lose the grip I have on the crown.

There's no harm in going back and forth. The only time tension is placed on the mainspring is when going "up" towards the 12 o'clock position. The "back"motion (towards the 6 o'clock position) is to allow you to, once again, turn "upwards" without letting go of the crown. :)

·
Banned
9,128 Posts
imported post

Very good video Rick. I think it's important for those new to watch collecting to know the difference between winding an automatic compared to a mechanical. Thanks for sharing. This video will save some the headache of breaking their mainspring. Another thing that I do with the skeletonized mechanicals is to keep a watchful eye on the mainspring as it is being wound. I watch to make sure that the tension isn't getting too tight.

·
Premium Member
24,243 Posts
imported post

Thanks Rick. Very helpful and valuable information. Did you yell cut or any other movie directions at yourself when making this video? There may be a future for you in the movies. I'm not ready to try this yet. I'm still working on still shots and lume pictures.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

That video IS absolutely fantastic and really informative for people. I am moving this to the Watch School 101 section.

Current - these videos are REALLY great. thank you!

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

I'm glad that people are enjoying and benefiting from the videos. I'm not so pleased with the quality of this latest video (I kept moving the watches out of focus), but after winding the Tourbillon (which is the only manual wind that I currently own), you need to let it run down before attempting another winding session (or shooting another video). :)

If this video is sufficient, I won't take the time to reshoot it. :)

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

I think it is fine and personally I can not wait to see more! I love them.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
imported post

Great video Rick, I actually had no idea how to wind my Invicta auto's but now I will remember. I've also noticed on my Tourbillon that it's right about 35 full rotations of the crown to a full wind.
Thank for the great informative video Rick!

·
Long Time Member
8,308 Posts
imported post

I usually keep winding until I hear a snap.

Now I understand what I've been doing wrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.