Watch Freeks banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Watch Freek
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A friends wife (2000 miles away) is asking for my assistance- she wants to gift her hubby a watch (on the sly). Almost every question I ask receives an 'I Don't Know'; but I did receive this poor quality picture of his current choice.

His daily wear: dress slacks, he takes the watch off when there's any chance of harm; a retired school teacher who returned to the classroom to help his community. He's 73 years old, about 6' tall (and only a tiny bit chubby) so I think a mid size case, perhaps up to an 8" wrist.

He wants a Rolex, simply for the name recognition, but neither of them will go $10K plus. In fairness (last fall) he purchased his wife a $5000 bracelet for their 50th anniv.

They both like bling - and based on this pic I think he'd want something flashy.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry

I believe its an Eco Drive, perhaps perpetual, on a bracelet. She said he loved my Omega and Tudor.

Additional note - they live Way Out in the boonies, its probably a 5 hour drive to any city large enough to have authorized dealers.

What can y'all collectively add to this?

· Super Moderator
20,948 Posts
Honestly it seems like you are right on with the identification sir. 😉
With it at least looking like a version of this one here below. Which
is a Perpetual Calendar with Eco-Drive 8700 movement. 🌞😎

Here is Zales’ site which looks to have had it, or one very similar
too for you...

Men's Citizen Eco-Drive® caliber 8700 Perpetual Calendar Two-Tone Bracelet Watch (Model: BL8004-53E)|Zales

P.S. you had it right from the get-go Wrascal. You didn’t need our help
looking smart, because you already were and are. 😀

Great watch and topic sir. Thx so very very much just for asking for help !!!

· Watch Freek
1,402 Posts
A friends wife (2000 miles away) is asking for my assistance- she wants to gift her hubby a watch (on the sly). Almost every question I ask receives an 'I Don't Know'; but I did receive this poor quality picture of his current choice.

His daily wear: dress slacks, he takes the watch off when there's any chance of harm; a retired school teacher who returned to the classroom to help his community. He's 73 years old, about 6' tall (and only a tiny bit chubby) so I think a mid size case, perhaps up to an 8" wrist.

He wants a Rolex, simply for the name recognition, but neither of them will go $10K plus. In fairness (last fall) he purchased his wife a $5000 bracelet for their 50th anniv.

They both like bling - and based on this pic I think he'd want something flashy.
View attachment 146074

I believe its an Eco Drive, perhaps perpetual, on a bracelet. She said he loved my Omega and Tudor.

Additional note - they live Way Out in the boonies, its probably a 5 hour drive to any city large enough to have authorized dealers.

What can y'all collectively add to this?
The Citizen sure is a horrible watch. My suggestion is to look on ebay, as they have an authentication scheme. Otherwise but froman AD on line. I dodn't think I have ever actually gone into a shop and bought a watch

· Watch Freek
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Good morning Freeks, it's nice to wake up to real mail.
So what would most appeal to him?

Another accurate quartz - with no fussing (setting days, dates, windings, etc)?
Maybe even a smart watch - something that simply bedazzles the eye?
Or something with a quality name - to impress others.

My (Jethro Bodine) guess is a new quality named Swiss auto (so no windings) with good time keeping (COSC) and distinguishing good looks. My guess is (price-wise) she'd go as high as his $5000 gift to her.

Something available thru online sales, and not with an exotic movement - so it can be serviced by a regular watch shop (90 min. away).

· Long Time Member
481 Posts
Tudor or Breitling. Both are nice, the Tudor has the Rolex connection and the Breitling is flashy.

Tell her to go into a good AD with him and sit back while he gets the treatment. It will be more money, but it is something they may enjoy together.

· Super Moderator
20,948 Posts
Honestly think Wrascal’s and Trip’s recommendations rock and just
can’t be beat. 🥇🏆 But just to add to the conversation a bit more,
don’t forget about all of the super spectacular Citizens which are
out there for him as well sir. 🙂

They have so many choices to choose from. 😉

· Watch Freek
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
He already has a Citizen - but desires something else - something with a big reputation.

I'm trying to not be pushy but based on his wanting a Rolex (while liking my two alternative selections), I feel he could be satisfied shopping among the numerous Rolex competitors.

Then again I could be wrong.

· Watch Freek
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Different strokes for different folks.
I just looked over the above Deville Prestige models - neah, they don't move me, they remind me of my plain Jane Sinn 836. Apologies if you own one.

But thank you for joining in.

· Watch Freek
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well then I hope you weren't offended by my unintentional snub.
Here's another unintentional snub ...

every time I see your posts I notice your cigar pic - and I think of Julia Tutwiler; for no explanation as I have no family/ friends there. As I recall you're also a local and will know that name; I'm still near Dothan.

What is the history? Private mail is OK if you're willing to share it.

· Senior Freek
1,606 Posts
Besides the ones already mentioned, there's IWC, Longines, Oris...

Watch Brown Analog watch Photograph Product

· Senior Freek
1,606 Posts

· Senior Freek
1,606 Posts

· Senior Freek
1,606 Posts

· Senior Freek
1,606 Posts

· Senior Freek
1,606 Posts

· Senior Freek
1,606 Posts

· Watch Freek
340 Posts
What is the budget under 1k, 2k if they want blingy or a "status" watch at under 2k maybe Fredrick Constant, or Maurice Lacroix Aikon, under 1k how about a Tissot? Seiko Pressage or Cirtizen "The Citizen".?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts