Watch Freeks banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I think most of us have experienced "buyer's remorse" at one time or another. Regarding watches, have you ever purchased (or traded for) a watch that failed in a big way to live up to your expectations?

Without bashing any one particular brand or becoming mean-spirited, I thought it could be interesting for us to share our thoughts and experiences on this topic.

Put on your thinking caps and tell us your stories.

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

Good topic Catbird. I can tell you about one experience right now. I have the watch up for sale or trade. I saw the FSOT Invicta Men's S1 Collection Rally Chronograph Two-Tone Watch #5075 on multiple threads on other forums, on television shows, etc etc. I HAD to have it. I loved the blue on blue, the shape, the band, everything. It was in one word..."amazing" to me.

So I purchased it. And in a few days it arrived. I was excited like always when a new watch arrived and I opened the box with as much anticipation as any other watch before it. Remember - I thought this was a have to have watch.

I opened it up and ..... immediately knew I made a mistake. THERE WAS NOTHING AT ALL WRONG WITH THE WATCH. It was big like I liked, made well, and looked sharp....I just hated it. The watch did not have the weight of others I liked and the colors were a little different then I had expected. NOT BAD... just different.

I decided to give it a chance. I tried it on. I even got it sized and it fit perfectly. But I could not stand how it looked on my wrist. So I put it in my watch box and hoped it would "grow on me". It did not. I looked at it day after day and in about a week I knew that it would never get worn.

It is a well made watch. Obviously someone spent some time designing it and making it a nice time piece. It was, and still is, just not for me.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
imported post

U felt the same way about a Prowler that I traded for a little over a year ago. I was so in love with the look of the watch. I got the color scheme that I wanted, rose/black and when I opened the box, I loved the look, but it was just too small for my liking. I definitely love 48mm and up. This one is listed at 45-46 and it wore small, at least on me. I didn't hate it, but I ended up trading it away because it got no wrist time. I have since gained a keener since for what I feel that I'll like and wear on a regular basis. I have a sweet spot, as far as size and I no longer buy watches that "seem" to be pretty cool. You gotta like what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
19,341 Posts
imported post

well, im with tuna..........always wanted the invicta prowler, and when i got it, i was very dissapointed......i think part of the reason was because i always wanted a potger pietri earthquake.........and the prowler really wasnt a good substitue in my opinion.

also i had always wanted the original scuba diver, the invicta 3076, i missed out on them when they aired on shop years ago, and ended up getting one in a trade........first off, talk about a trade gone wrong, the guy sent it to me with no strap.........so i eventually sold it. i would had ordered a bracelet or strap to wear it, but i had gotten the watch after i had started wearing the bigger watches, and the original scuba is very small by todays standards. i can wear a 43mm depending how it plays on the wrist, but my girlfriend wears bigger watches than the scuba, lol. so i sold it.

and lastly, the croton pineapple. i acutally love the watch, but can not wear it, so it is a major dissapointment. i bracelet is unattached because of broken spring pins, my jeweler couldnt even put it back on. ordered new screw pins from croton, took it back to my jeweler and still no go, either the holes arent lined up or the bracelet end links are not machined down enough. still waiting for the new screws for the stripped ones in the bracelet links and a half link. i have an email into croton, im going to get the watch replaced completly..........wether they like it or not.........talk about a bad batch of a production, this watch was a bad one right from the gate. hopefully i can get a new one with no issues and be able to enjoy the watch, because it really is a nice chunky looking diver..........

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
imported post

This is an interesting thread and yes I have been disappointed. I always liked the looks of a number of Reidenschild watches so I traded for their SailingMaster. When it showed up I knew I made a mistake as it was too small on the wrist and the bracelet wasn't long enough so it sat in the box until I finally sold it. Nothing wrong with the looks or the performance, it just wasn't what I expected.

·
Registered
37 Posts
imported post

in my early collecting of cheap watches i had plenty of disappointments...but once i stepped into quality i never had a solid disappointment.
when i received my Invicta II ghost skeleton, i felt slightly disappointed because the dimensions were slightly different than i pictured...which quickly passed, but then i hated the way the watch looked on, which puzzled me because the face itself looked great...i realized it was the strap, which was oddly thin in width...so i switched it to a 1 3/4 in cuff and liked it just fine.
had a similiar feeling with my Invicta force master. the case on the force master is about the size of a russian diver, except thicker!!!! and with 2 giant dials on either side. the strap just seemed too thin, so i'm having a 2.25 inch wide cuff made for it.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Ok, so my boyfriend Donny and Iwere at a flea market and came across a guy who sold/repaired watches. And I found this Kenneth Colebracelet watch Ihad beensearching for forever, so of course I bought it right away. We got out to my car and I couldn't wait to put it on, pulled it out of the box, opened it, and saw a rubber string hanging out of the back, so I pulled it, and completely gutted the entire watch onto my lap. So, yeah, got my money back from that. Lesson learned: Don't buy watches from creepy old guys selling watches in smelly flea markets

:?

·
Registered
36 Posts
imported post

My latest invicta. It is a blue faced nighthawk style watch. was SOO excited to get it finally (and actually was an anniversary gift from my wife) got it and.. meh at best. the problem with it is simple- the bracelet SUUUUUCKS. Clasp is tinny, and sharp (I've actually cut myself on the release). It really is a shame, because I waited a long time to get this watch, and was so excited (not to mention the sentimental value) and.. letdown:thumbsdown:. I guess I can find a better bracelet, but at this point I'm so let down it just sits:(

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

my one dissapointment

Invicta Corduba Ibiza SS on Technofiber strap

way too big and a flat case mostly - feels like a plate on my wrist - i still have it but gets no wrist time

awesome look but feels WRONG on me!!

·
Premium Member
25,154 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
my one dissapointment

Invicta Corduba Ibiza SS on Technofiber strap

way too big and a flat case mostly - feels like a plate on my wrist - i still have it but gets no wrist time

awesome look but feels WRONG on me!!
You and I have EXACTLY the same taste in watches. It is incredible.

THIS WEEK I sold my Corduba on Technofiber strap for the exact same reasons - to big, to flat. And I agree - just looking at the watch it is very nice, but on it just was not for me so I sold it.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

MY Brotha from anotha motha!!!

LOL

kinda weird!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
imported post

Well I guess everybody's taste is different really, I have the same Corduba Ibiza in gunmetal and I absolutely love it. It's a huge watch no doubt but maybe because its so different and big that I like it, who knows.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

wanna buy mine?

UKWolfeman wrote:
I really don't want to comment cause if I did then I bet I would end up with one for sure.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I love it too- just doesnt feel right on the wrist

Iceman1974 wrote:
Well I guess everybody's taste is different really, I have the same Corduba Ibiza in gunmetal and I absolutely love it. It's a huge watch no doubt but maybe because its so different and big that I like it, who knows.

·
Premium Member
8,976 Posts
imported post

WATCHURSELF wrote:
I love it too- just doesnt feel right on the wrist

Iceman1974 wrote:
Don't much care for the Corduba but will look hard at the black widow tonight. Bit smaller may make the deal for me.

·
Registered
10,615 Posts
imported post

I liked it cause it was like a DIVER RD with a smaller Crown Cover 0 but the watch really is HUGE and doesnt feel right on me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts