Watch Freeks banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, fellow forum experts I am seeking your help in order to fix a problem I have with my luminox 3003.:confused:

I seldom use it, because I have a 30+ watch collection and right now I am in love with Reactors (bought 6 of them only in this month for the wife and I), but I do like the little *******.
One day I noticed the crown to be somewhat stuck, it did not move freely all the way in (normal use position) and I noticed like an interference of the gears in the movement.
I pulled it made all sorts of time setting, date changing procedures (of course observing not to change date between 8pm and 2 am), maybe some gear grinding and it got perfect, (seemed to have like dirt or something stuck although I have kept the watch perfectly clean) I was a happy camper. I thought some debris had stuck it and by pulling and moving it got unstuck.

Disaster struck when I decided to take a bath with it. It fogged!!!
I have read extensively here in our fora that this sometimes happens with the so called "navy seals" 3000 series, but it had given me good service, I swam with it, bathed multiple occasions with it, gone trekking to the tepozteco mountains near mexico city where I live, and had not had any problems.

Today, I opened it, (I have the otto frei's level 1 tools and watchmaking course), and I discovered when I removed the stem that some black dirt came off.
I removed the ronda 515 movement (which by the way is super accurate), and checked the case for missing seals or something, but I did not see anything.

Does the stem crown have any seals at all or are they supposed to be in the case's tube (this is not a screw-down crown), cause in mine I can't find any, I do see some stuff inside the crown where it attaches to the stem but if it was the seal only little pieces remain!!!

Aren't these watches supposed to have a double stem seal for keeping water out?

Where can I find the proper seals or a crown and stem replacement?
I do not want to use the sole luminox authorized repair center that I have in mexico 'cause they are going to charge an arm and a leg if they agree to repair it, most likely they're gonna convince me to buy another (the watch itself was bought at a HEAVY discount in an outlet store because it was discontinued) and keep the watch for months, I think it is a pretty easy thing to repair I can do it myself, and I am a newbie in this wonderful world of watchmaking.

Please help me any way you can, maybe you can recommend me a fellow member that has the spare parts or an ebay vendor or something, I do have a paypal account for paying the parts.

Regards and thanks in advance for reading so far!

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
I also have the 3003, but never took it apart. I'm pretty sure it has a double gasket system. One would be in the crown.
I think you would have to get something to measure the size and thickness of them, if you can take them out, and check on line for a watch parts supplier.

Hopefully someone will be able to help more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts