Watch Freeks banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic has probably been beaten to death, but here goes. What is the best lume aside from tritium. I have a few Citizens and they have great lume, but so does a Casio I have. Just wondering what folks think.:cool:

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Photo-luminescent paints are those which rely on being charged by an outside light source, unlike tritium tubes (auto-luminescent), which generate their own brightness. The intensity often relies on the amount of surface area that is covered by the paint and the thickness of the application. Superluminova is the best known brand of photo-luminescent paint. Their C3, which glows green, usually has the most intensity. Seiko watches are known for excellent lume and use their own proprietary paint, Lumibrite.

Reactions: ganson

·
Super Moderator
7,444 Posts
Chuck nailed it.

The intensity often relies on the amount of surface area that is covered by the paint and the thickness of the application.
^^^ This is the big thing. Just because a watch advertises C3 Superluminova, does not mean they have a thick enough application to make the lume glow bright. It is all about the application. I have a Dagaz CAV-1 with C3 that glows like a torch through the night. I also have a PAM homage with C3 superlumiova that glows for a long time, but only has a small fraction of the brightness.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have some Citizen and Seiko watches and the lume is great. One of my Casio and a Fossil I have are good along with an Invicta diver. All the other Invicta's (4) the lume is almost nothing. A lot of the watches I have are old or have no lume at all. So of what I have the Citizen and Seiko lume is the best.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
My Citizen, Deep Blue, Android and two Invicta watches all with Superluminova.

Sent from my Lumia Windows Phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes sir a Deep Blue is on my radar. Also a watch from Wing whenever they come back. I probably miss a chance to get an Android. I know they both have good lume.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have some older Seiko's an Citizens still glowing bright. The "Seiko Lumibrit" is great stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts