Watch Freeks banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stating the obvious, most watches have a lot in common in terms of shape. There's round, rectangle or occasional square.

Over the years I noticed a few that seemed to sort of be rectangles, but not quite, and that's what made them so appealing to me.

I came to learn the shape was termed "Tonneau" which I had to lookup in order to discover this meant "rounded like a barrel" coming from Old French.

There aren't many examples that really fit the description, and fewer that seem well done and within my price range. I find Franck Muller's numbers to be tacky, for lack of a better word, the Cartiers tend to be to too wide, while the Breguet's and Patek's that are appealing are more than I care to spend.

It's rare that you can easily narrow your criteria down to a specific watch so quickly, but the singular example that fits both my style and and my wallet was the Maurice Lacroix MP6119. Formally known as the "Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Jours Retrogrades Tonneau" the watch includes a Retrograde Day of the Week indicator which is a very classy addition to an exceptionally attractive dial.

While there are variations of this with silver hands and also those with black dials, the only version that I really desired is the MP6119-PS101-11E which has an solid 18K bezel combined with Gold Hands, Indices and Numerals. This preference is not only for stylistic reasons but also because I find it much easier to actually read the time when there is contrast between the hands, markers and the .925 solid Silver Guilloche dial.

There's also a Moon Phase variation (MP6439) but again, it's more difficult to read, and not a complication that personally interests me.

Because the watch is out of production, it took many, many months of patient searching before I was able to acquire a new and unworn version from a dealer in Germany.

In addition to the barrel shape, the lugs sweep down nicely to make for a very comfortably and natural fit, especially at 39mm x 51.6mm in dimensions, plus being 13.5mm thick:

A few extra nice touches worth mentioning also apply to the strap. First is that it uses screws to mount through the lugs, rather than spring bars. This offers a secure mount, combined with a very robust visual appeal. In addition, the custom strap continues past the mounting screws to match the case, leaving no gaps between the case and leather, for a highly refined style:

In addition, the fold-over deployment is combined with a rather intentionally long strap, which allows for a unique condition where none of the deployment is in contact with your skin. Instead, even with a 7 1/2 inch wrist only the leather is making contact, providing the comfort of a traditional buckle with the convenience of a deployment at the same time:

Finished off with an exhibition back and a well dressed modified ETA 2892-A2 the movement is both solid and serviceable.

Performance out of the box isn't spectacular, but certainly acceptable, and especially for a watch that's been sitting on a shelf in Germany for 5 or so years, as my Lepsi Watch Analyzer reports:

While it's no Breguet or Patek, for roughly $2,500 new/unworn it's an outstanding value and combines truly superior craftsmanship and value at that price point, at least in my estimation.

Given it's unique shape, style and features, it's one of my most rewarding purchases, even while being far from one of my most expensive.

What's your favorite Tonneau?

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Beautiful looking watch, but is this the Segway into your "Yes that watch is too big for your wrist post?"

Reactions: StephenCanale

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Thats a lovely watch. if its been sitting that long perhaps a service is in order. fresh oil in the case? The tonneau shape appeals to me as well. This Bulova is the only thing I own that comes close to that shape and I love it dearly even though its seen a lot of use

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's what I have always called this...

Or is it a cushion?? Probably more of a cushion... nevermind...

Reactions: Myke

·
Registered
101 Posts
I guess there are a few others...:

1920's ish.

Reactions: Myke

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well I learned something from a very interesting post. That is an elegant watch, and elegance is rather rare on the ubiquitous divers we see. I am surprised at the size for a dress watch though.

Stating the obvious, most watches have a lot in common in terms of shape. There's round, rectangle or occasional square.

Over the years I noticed a few that seemed to sort of be rectangles, but not quite, and that's what made them so appealing to me.

I came to learn the shape was termed "Tonneau" which I had to lookup in order to discover this meant "rounded like a barrel" coming from Old French.

There aren't many examples that really fit the description, and fewer that seem well done and within my price range. I find Franck Muller's numbers to be tacky, for lack of a better word, the Cartiers tend to be to too wide, while the Breguet's and Patek's that are appealing are more than I care to spend.

It's rare that you can easily narrow your criteria down to a specific watch so quickly, but the singular example that fits both my style and and my wallet was the Maurice Lacroix MP6119. Formally known as the "Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Jours Retrogrades Tonneau" the watch includes a Retrograde Day of the Week indicator which is a very classy addition to an exceptionally attractive dial.

While there are variations of this with silver hands and also those with black dials, the only version that I really desired is the MP6119-PS101-11E which has an solid 18K bezel combined with Gold Hands, Indices and Numerals. This preference is not only for stylistic reasons but also because I find it much easier to actually read the time when there is contrast between the hands, markers and the .925 solid Silver Guilloche dial.

There's also a Moon Phase variation (MP6439) but again, it's more difficult to read, and not a complication that personally interests me.

Because the watch is out of production, it took many, many months of patient searching before I was able to acquire a new and unworn version from a dealer in Germany.

In addition to the barrel shape, the lugs sweep down nicely to make for a very comfortably and natural fit, especially at 39mm x 51.6mm in dimensions, plus being 13.5mm thick:

A few extra nice touches worth mentioning also apply to the strap. First is that it uses screws to mount through the lugs, rather than spring bars. This offers a secure mount, combined with a very robust visual appeal. In addition, the custom strap continues past the mounting screws to match the case, leaving no gaps between the case and leather, for a highly refined style:

In addition, the fold-over deployment is combined with a rather intentionally long strap, which allows for a unique condition where none of the deployment is in contact with your skin. Instead, even with a 7 1/2 inch wrist only the leather is making contact, providing the comfort of a traditional buckle with the convenience of a deployment at the same time:

Finished off with an exhibition back and a well dressed modified ETA 2892-A2 the movement is both solid and serviceable.

Performance out of the box isn't spectacular, but certainly acceptable, and especially for a watch that's been sitting on a shelf in Germany for 5 or so years, as my Lepsi Watch Analyzer reports:

While it's no Breguet or Patek, for roughly $2,500 new/unworn it's an outstanding value and combines truly superior craftsmanship and value at that price point, at least in my estimation.

Given it's unique shape, style and features, it's one of my most rewarding purchases, even while being far from one of my most expensive.

What's your favorite Tonneau?

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Bros:
Tonneau watches have never scored hi on my appreciation list
I'm an old 80 y o RR engineer and my uncle gifted me a Gruen
Tonneau back n tha day. Told him I loved it, but in reality i hated
it.
Have never spent a farthing on a Tonneu. If you like em go for
it!!!

Lou Snutt

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a decent sized watch, but the angle/perspective of the photo in the first post exaggerates it quite a bit.

Here's a different angle that's a bit more realistic.... and from any actual distance (not a close up) it's not overbearing at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
It's a decent sized watch, but the angle/perspective of the photo in the first post exaggerates it quite a bit.

Here's a different angle that's a bit more realistic.... and from any actual distance (not a close up) it's not overbearing at all.

Still looks big from that angle, and you appear to have a large wrist to boot, how big is your wrist?

I have a big square one as well!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still looks big from that angle, and you appear to have a large wrist to boot, how big is your wrist?
My wrist is a 7.25 to 7.50 depending on temp/humidity and what not.

Here's a fresh photo that provides some external elements for perspective.

It's not a small watch, but the steering wheel shots tend to really make a lot of watches seem larger than they are due to perspective, at least with my camera (not using a phone).

Attachments

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
My wrist is a 7.25 to 7.50 depending on temp/humidity and what not.

Here's a fresh photo that provides some external elements for perspective.

It's not a small watch, but the steering wheel shots tend to really make a lot of watches seem larger than they are due to perspective, at least with my camera (not using a phone).
I have an 8" wrist and this puppy is as large and heavy as it looks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts