Watch Freeks banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there good people of the interwebs!
It is I, the lost newbie! And I am looking for guidance!

All jokes aside though! Hi! I'm new here but I hope ya'll can help me out a little!

I am looking for a watch, and I have been looking for this watch for a long time now. The problem is; I don't know which watch it is!:eek:
I'm tired of buying cheap-ish watches hoping that they'll suit me, only to be disappointed time and again. Which is why I am now here, on my bare knees, begging for your wisdom!

I'm a media and communications student, a Rover Scout, an adventurer of sorts, multi-medium artist and all round active guy. Despite this, I am skinny as a twig.

So basically what I am looking for is something that suits everything from class room situations, to swimming in a mountain lake, to going out to the pub after a long week; a tough watch, with a stylish (relatively clean) look, that's not too big or heavy.

I'd say my price range would be between FREE and 550, mayyybbbbbeeee 600~.

Thank you for your time, ideas and thought power! I appreciate it :smile-thumb2:

EDIT: I dont mind if you have any automatic suggestions ;D

·
Registered
977 Posts
The Seiko Tuna is a good option if it's not too big.

Since you're even considering swimming I would recommend nothing less than 100 meters. The 100 meters is a hydrostatic rating, and swimming and the like is dynamic (or ram) pressure which .. it gets complicated. 100m minimum. 200 is better.

Do you have a preference for mechanical (auto) or quartz?

I would recommend (in general terms) something like an Orient Mako II
http://www.longislandwatch.com/Orient_AA02002D_Mako_II_Dive_Watch_p/aa02002d.htm

If you want something really different, the Maranez Layani isn't too big and has 300 m WR.I have one and really like it.
http://www.maranez.com/layan.php

Seiko makes incredible watches and has an EXCELLENT reputation in all regards. They had one called the Sumo that is excellent but maybe a bit big for you at 44 mm.
http://www.longislandwatch.com/Seik...570C81&gdffi=07a28cb57d454d66a87c031e90dbcc99

Another option (a bit smaller at 43 mm) is the Seiko Monster
http://www.longislandwatch.com/Seiko_Prospex_SRP583_Monster_Watch_p/srp583.htm

Reactor watches has a whole line of really nice looking and really tough quartz watches.

If you are concerned about weight you have the option of titanium but it's typically a bit more expensive and since the metal is a bit softer than stainless, it may scratch a bit easier too.

The other option (and it's a really good option in most cases) is to buy second hand. Check out the sales forum here. typically you can get a significantly nicer watch for the same money.

Reactions: RegF

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Seiko would be largely what I recommend for you. Probably the turtle reissue. Sumo is a lso a good option but with its 44mm case size and 20mm lugs its a bit tougher on smaller wrists.

Another option is a Scurfa Bell Diver. Couple pics of my turtles and the Bell Diver. For some reason cant find my sumo pic and to lazy to put it on and snap one.

yadda yadda tapatalk

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm gonna recommend you take a look at Hamilton (because I always do). Lots of nice timeless styles that are casual and relaxed, but in my opinion still dressy enough that they don't look out of place in a business/work setting.

Take a look at the Khaki lines in particular. Many are at your price point and some at smaller sizes that might suit your wrist better. The only thing I would watch out for is water resistance if swimming with it on is really important to you. Many of the field watches are only 50m which is too low. As Vladdy said, look for a minimum of 100m if you plan on getting it properly wet.

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/khaki/field

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
This:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off: Wow! Thank you all for all the answers! I was expecting way fewer and slower responses! :pray2:
Now back on topic!

Reactor...
I'm not a giant fan of the looks of this one.. I'm going to do a bit of that google magic to read a little about it though! Thanks!

Welcome.
Seiko Sumo may be an interest to you.
Despite being a pretty clean option, it oddly enough strikes me as a little too dressy for my taste! Maybe I should have mentioned that I'm just 20 years old? A real youngster! :cool: Might also be why I find it too dressy?

The Seiko Tuna is a good option if it's not too big.

Do you have a preference for mechanical (auto) or quartz?

I would recommend (in general terms) something like an Orient Mako II

If you want something really different, the Maranez Layani isn't too big and has 300 m WR.I have one and really like it.

Seiko makes incredible watches and has an EXCELLENT reputation in all regards. They had one called the Sumo that is excellent but maybe a bit big for you at 44 mm.

Another option (a bit smaller at 43 mm) is the Seiko Monster

Reactor watches has a whole line of really nice looking and really tough quartz watches.

If you are concerned about weight you have the option of titanium but it's typically a bit more expensive and since the metal is a bit softer than stainless, it may scratch a bit easier too.

The other option (and it's a really good option in most cases) is to buy second hand. Check out the sales forum here. typically you can get a significantly nicer watch for the same money.
First of, if it means that I'll get something a bit more solid, then I'll go with quartz, but I am quite attracted to the idea of an automatic one! I'd not go with a regular mechanical one though... Despite this being about watches, I'm really bad at keeping track of time, and I am sure I'd forget to wind it up... :whistle: I really like the look of the ML brass ones, but again I think they're a tad too dressy for me :( I do LOVE the look of the blacked out monster though, and the Tuna for that matter! The monster might be a bit more my size! As for titanium... Might consider it, but para my friend! Para is always an issue ;)

Seiko would be largely what I recommend for you. Probably the turtle reissue. (..)

Once again! A nice looking one! If i find any interesting color variations I might consider this one!

I'm gonna recommend you take a look at Hamilton (because I always do). Lots of nice timeless styles that are casual and relaxed, but in my opinion still dressy enough that they don't look out of place in a business/work setting.

Take a look at the Khaki lines in particular. Many are at your price point and some at smaller sizes that might suit your wrist better. The only thing I would watch out for is water resistance if swimming with it on is really important to you. Many of the field watches are only 50m which is too low. As Vladdy said, look for a minimum of 100m if you plan on getting it properly wet.

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/khaki/field

I have looked at Hamiltons before, but I've come to the conclusion that in Sweden (which happens to be where I am from and live at the moment) they are branded as "wanna be upper class d**k head" watches... Not saying that that's my view on them, but sadly that seems to be the case here. I really quite like the looks of a lot of their watches though, and I might actually consider risking the title of "wanna be upper class d**k head" if you think they're worth it :laughing:

I am currently sporting a Seiko Kinetic from 1995 (google seiko 5m22-7b20 and you'll find it) and sometimes I throw on a cheap Lorus one that looks almost exactly like it. So as you can tell, I could use an upgrade haha!

Anyhow! Thank you all again for all the answers! I'll do some google magic, some reading and then I'll consider buying one of your suggestions!

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
2 more to consider. No one confuses Armida with being too dressy. Chris has excellent customer service too.

Armida a7

Or A1 42mm pictured here in blue but black also available.

yadda yadda tapatalk

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
2 more to consider. No one confuses Armida with being too dressy. Chris has excellent customer service too.

Armida a7

yadda yadda tapatalk

Yes.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have looked at Hamiltons before, but I've come to the conclusion that in Sweden (which happens to be where I am from and live at the moment) they are branded as "wanna be upper class d**k head" watches... Not saying that that's my view on them, but sadly that seems to be the case here. I really quite like the looks of a lot of their watches though, and I might actually consider risking the title of "wanna be upper class d**k head" if you think they're worth it :laughing:
Seriously?!

I've never heard that before. I might have to remember that when I visit there, we've been discussing going to northern Europe on a future trip. I wouldn't want to be seen as a "wanna be upper class Canadian dickhead". Canadian dickhead sure... but wanna be upper class just won't do.

Since you're in Europe I'll toss my hat into the mix again with another watch I own.

Certina DS Action. I hope this isn't viewed as negatively in Sweden or I might have a problem.

·
Registered
977 Posts

This is another option. It's solar so it has both the advantages of Quartz but doesn't have a battery that has to be replaced. Also: chronograph. Also Seiko.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Armida a7

yadda yadda tapatalk
They're both really simple and nice. I like them!

Seriously?!

I've never heard that before. I might have to remember that when I visit there, we've been discussing going to northern Europe on a future trip. I wouldn't want to be seen as a "wanna be upper class Canadian dickhead". Canadian dickhead sure... but wanna be upper class just won't do.

Since you're in Europe I'll toss my hat into the mix again with another watch I own.

Certina DS Action. I hope this isn't viewed as negatively in Sweden or I might have a problem.

First of; yes! It's sadly ture! Maybe not so much once you're past 30 (not assuming you are!), but definitely when you're my age! And thanks for a good laugh there! :laughing: EDIT: Oh and I really like the Certina! Looks clean and nice! I'll add it to my little list of watches to google! :D

This is another option. It's solar so it has both the advantages of Quartz but doesn't have a battery that has to be replaced. Also: chronograph. Also Seiko.
I love the idea of solar power, but I've been told that they need to have the "battery" changed about as often as a regular quartz because it wears out? If that's true then I don't quite see the point sadly! Please correct me if this is wrong! (Which i actually hope it is!)
Also, I'm not a giant fan of chronographs! I never find myself using them and I don't find them that pleasing to look at if i am to be honest : / It's an otherwise very sweet looking watch!

As a sidenote/update, if I am to buy the Seiko SRP583K1 from the page you linked, it will cost me about 300 usd LESS than if I bought it from my local shop here in Sweden... Shipping included! I am honestly considering buying it because it seems to me like it'd be by far the best deal for me.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Got two more for you. The Seiko 5 Baby Ice Monster and Baby Orange Monster.
These watches are cheap, USD $150. Tough as nails and at 42mm, on the small side like you want. Have a look.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Or perhaps a Luminox Original Navy Seal. Talk about tough. Swiss Quartz movement, 42mm with Tritium tube illumination that never needs charging. Weighs 3oz. Made of carbon impregnated plastic, Ha, I could go on all day.

·
Registered
977 Posts
They're both really simple and nice. I like them!

First of; yes! It's sadly ture! Maybe not so much once you're past 30 (not assuming you are!), but definitely when you're my age! And thanks for a good laugh there! :laughing: EDIT: Oh and I really like the Certina! Looks clean and nice! I'll add it to my little list of watches to google! :D

I love the idea of solar power, but I've been told that they need to have the "battery" changed about as often as a regular quartz because it wears out? If that's true then I don't quite see the point sadly! Please correct me if this is wrong! (Which I actually hope it is!)
Also, I'm not a giant fan of chronographs! I never find myself using them and I don't find them that pleasing to look at if I am to be honest : / It's an otherwise very sweet looking watch!

As a sidenote/update, if I am to buy the Seiko SRP583K1 from the page you linked, it will cost me about 300 usd LESS than if I bought it from my local shop here in Sweden... Shipping included! I am honestly considering buying it because it seems to me like it'd be by far the best deal for me.
So the new style capacitors are not supposed to wear out at all really. The old type used on the kinetics 10 years ago had that problem, but all indication are that the issue was solved. of course, I'll let you know if mine dies after a few years.

So I gotta ask: I do business in Sweden 200 km north of Stockholm. Where do you live in Sweden? It's such an absolutely gorgeous country and I always enjoy traveling. Stockholm is such a cool city.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What do you think about this guy, the Seiko SARB017?

It's nothing if not versatile, classy & sporty, plus it has a WR of 200 meters.

Holy cow that's a sweet looking watch! Looks kinda dressy, but at the same time sporty so it kind of balances things out! I'll put this high on the list of watches to consider! also, I LOVE the green dial!

Got two more for you. The Seiko 5 Baby Ice Monster and Baby Orange Monster.
These watches are cheap, USD $150. Tough as nails and at 42mm, on the small side like you want. Have a look.
Seems like all the variants of the Seiko Monsters are quite popular! These ones are smaller, which is good for me! I'll look into them!

Or perhaps a Luminox Original Navy Seal. Talk about tough. Swiss Quartz movement, 42mm with Tritium tube illumination that never needs charging. Weighs 3oz. Made of carbon impregnated plastic, Ha, I could go on all day.

I did do a quick google search for this one, and I found an all black version. Quite liked that one, might consider getting one, if not now then maybe later as a second watch for hiking and such, when I really dont want to be scared of throwing it about. Seems a little bit cheaper than many other watches and it does seem lighter, so that's a big plus!

So the new style capacitors are not supposed to wear out at all really. The old type used on the kinetics 10 years ago had that problem, but all indication are that the issue was solved. of course, I'll let you know if mine dies after a few years.

So I gotta ask: I do business in Sweden 200 km north of Stockholm. Where do you live in Sweden? It's such an absolutely gorgeous country and I always enjoy traveling. Stockholm is such a cool city.
Ah I see. Well that's good to hear! :D like I said, i like the idea of solar powered stuff.

I live in Örebro. If you draw a line from Stockholm to Gothenburg, then Örebro would be located a little bit to the north of the middle of that line. Not anything like Stockholm, but it's an OK place to live and study at! And we do have this little castle in the middle of everything, so I guess that's cool haha!:smile-thumb2:

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Holy cow that's a sweet looking watch! Looks kinda dressy, but at the same time sporty so it kind of balances things out! I'll put this high on the list of watches to consider! also, I LOVE the green dial!
Yes, I thought the color might resonate with your scouting background.

It's got such a beautiful clean dial that looks right at home in the office as well as on the mountain trails, PLUS the internal bezel allows you to find the cardinal directions.

PLUS, you can tweak its look by having a few strategically chosen straps to pair it with.

Happy watch hunting!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts